Texas Tech Rising 3L Summer Law Clerk at a Small Firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mmribail

Texas Tech Rising 3L Summer Law Clerk at a Small Firm

Postby mmribail » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:43 am

I am currently working the summer at a small probate firm with a huge emphasis on Elder Law. My boss is a national recognized Guardianship expert. As for myself, I am currently ranked in the middle of my class at Texas Tech. My question is directed at recent law school graduates with a similar experience. How do I utilize these experiences to find a decent job after law school? I have a strong interest in probate, but I am aware that new lawyers in this economy have to be open to any possibility.

A bit of a side note: I am from El Paso, Texas and hope to practice there. Anyone know how Texas Tech grads fare there with my similar situation.

mmribail

Re: Texas Tech Rising 3L Summer Law Clerk at a Small Firm

Postby mmribail » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:06 pm

Really? No TSL user has worked at a small firm in the summer? Everyone was lucky enough to clerk for a big firm?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:48 am

The standard answer - network. It's going to be hard in Texas coming from Texas Tech. Ask your OCS if they have alumni lists in the state to work on.

luthersloan

Postby luthersloan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:54 am

One of the few shortcomings of TLS I am afraid is that it is not exactly a random draw of law students who post on this boards. Its name does indicate something about its principal demographic.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:23 pm

The good news is that el paso is probably a doable market from tech, and you can't say that about many cities. The bad news is you're middle of the pack at a lower ranked school. Network like crazy, apply to every employer imaginable, and hope for a bit of luck

Return to “Legal Employment”