How did UCI do at placing people in summer positions?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thesealocust

How did UCI do at placing people in summer positions?

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:00 pm

I remember it was interesting to speculate on when it opened its doors. It's now had 2 full years and theoretically an entire class of 2Ls looking for jobs, right?

Grizz

Re: How did UCI do at placing people in summer positions?

Postby Grizz » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:03 pm

IBT rankings debate

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:40 pm

That list calls it "offers made and positions held" which sets of my sketchy data alarm. Who the hell would compile a list of offers made to students as opposed to jobs accepted? That could skew it massively... and even assuming each of those jobs was actually offered & accepted, it's still a good but not extremely impressive list.

calapp09

Postby calapp09 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:43 pm

Every 2L (and all but one 1L) has a law-related summer job.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:44 pm

calapp09 wrote:Every 2L (and all but one 1L) has a law-related summer job.

OK?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:49 pm

thesealocust wrote:
calapp09 wrote:Every 2L (and all but one 1L) has a law-related summer job.

OK?

This. Getting an unpaid summer thing is small beans. Getting jobs whether with firms or with government that have a possibility of full time post graduate employment is the real measure we want.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:45 am

thesealocust wrote:That list calls it "offers made and positions held" which sets of my sketchy data alarm. Who the hell would compile a list of offers made to students as opposed to jobs accepted? That could skew it massively... and even assuming each of those jobs was actually offered & accepted, it's still a good but not extremely impressive list.

Dingdingding.

My first thought was "This is a very solid list of CA firms." My second thought was, congrats to the guy who got the MoFo/Gibson/OMM/etc offers

anteater85

Postby anteater85 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:47 am

I will ask the school to confirm, but this list was made before most if not all of us started summer jobs, which may explain the wording. I don't know the whole 1L year well enough to know where everyone works, but I know that we have unique students (ie "not the same person") at Jones Day, Gibson, OMM, Troutman, Stradling, Mannat, 2 people at Bryan Cave, at least 2 at Knobbe, and Milbank. I'm not sure who is at or was offered Latham, Mofo, Sheppard, Sidley or the others, but I can try to find out. Obviously, no data on full time positions until next year, but we've received great support from the firms and the partners have made it clear they WANT to hire us. Also keep in mind that the first class was very PI oriented and only about 41 of the 64 students participated in OCI.

Full disclosure on my bias: I am a UCI rising 2L

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:52 am

anteater85 wrote:I will ask the school to confirm, but this list was made before most if not all of us started summer jobs, which may explain the wording. I don't know the whole 1L year well enough to know where everyone works, but I know that we have unique students (ie "not the same person") at Jones Day, Gibson, OMM, Troutman, Stradling, Mannat, 2 people at Bryan Cave, at least 2 at Knobbe, and Milbank. I'm not sure who is at or was offered Latham, Mofo, Sheppard, Sidley or the others, but I can try to find out. Obviously, no data on full time positions until next year, but we've received great support from the firms and the partners have made it clear they WANT to hire us. Also keep in mind that the first class was very PI oriented and only about 41 of the 64 students participated in OCI.

Full disclosure on my bias: I am a UCI rising 2L

Ah, that makes sense, thanks for the info!

Return to “Legal Employment”