Networking/recommendations- help the socially incompetent

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Networking/recommendations- help the socially incompetent

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:27 am

So my question doesn't warrant its own thread, but after a couple years around here I figured that I'm not the only one who sucks at life/social situations, so why not consolidate our questions into one thread?

Anyway, I'm a rising 3L and am struggling with how to non-awkwardly ask my supervisor from 1L summer if it's kosher for me to put him down as a reference again this year. We really haven't been in touch over the last year with the exception of a couple research memos I did for him in my fall 2L semester. Is there a way for this phone call to not be horribly awkward? I feel like if I contacted him a first time for something different it would be transparent.

dood

Re: Networking/recommendations- help the socially incompetent

Postby dood » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:38 am

Just ask; yes very transparent.

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:01 pm

"Hi, X, this is Y. [hello, Y. How are you?] I'm doing really well. How are you? [Just dandy.] Oh that's great. Listen, I was wondering whether I could use you as a reference again this year? [absolutely.] Great! Thank you so much. [you're welcome.]"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So my question doesn't warrant its own thread, but after a couple years around here I figured that I'm not the only one who sucks at life/social situations, so why not consolidate our questions into one thread?

Anyway, I'm a rising 3L and am struggling with how to non-awkwardly ask my supervisor from 1L summer if it's kosher for me to put him down as a reference again this year. We really haven't been in touch over the last year with the exception of a couple research memos I did for him in my fall 2L semester. Is there a way for this phone call to not be horribly awkward? I feel like if I contacted him a first time for something different it would be transparent.

Woah dude, asking for a recommendation is one of the easiest things you can do. YOU gave these people value; if anything, they owe you. I don't mean to make a huge deal out of this, but socializing is something you're going to need to sharpen as a lawyer - whether when standing up for yourself in the office with partners and other associates, or later when building relationships with clients. This is something you can get dialed, I promise; you just need to work at it. One thing that was huge for me in building confidence in social situations was getting good with women (plus it's fun). Read a couple articles at http://www.rsdnation.com/ and get out there and show the world who's boss.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:44 am

So, I didn't have any sort of relationship with my direct supervisor this summer. I very rarely spoke to him and only did 1 or 2 small assignments. Instead, I did more work for his supervisor and also had more of a rapport with him (joking around and the like). Both offered to be recommenders. Would it be a faux pas to not ask my director supervisor, but instead his supervisor, to be my reference?

Return to “Legal Employment”