Big Law: Getting a job Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thesealocust

Platinum

Re: Big Law: Getting a job

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:41 pm

vanwinkle wrote:The truly important thing about the medicine-vs-law debate is that the high-six-figures jobs in medicine are permanent stable positions while many of the jobs in BigLaw are associate positions where you have to make partner in a certain time or you're gone. Lots of the people in law who "make six figures" don't make it for very long. A huge number of the people in medicine who get high-paying jobs are able to keep them long term.

Yeah, so, V20 partner can make 7 figures. But given the small odds of making V20 partner for even the random CCN 0L, I think you're much more likely to end up in a stable high-six-figure income if you go to med school than if you go to law school, no matter which law school you go to.
Definitely agree, but this conversation started from "You see a guy in a fancy car, what percentage of his salary did it cost?" not "where should I go to grad school, all else being equal?"

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:45 pm

thesealocust wrote:Definitely agree, but this conversation started from "You see a guy in a fancy car, what percentage of his salary did it cost?" not "where should I go to grad school, all else being equal?"
Conversations evolve. Or are you a creationist?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:52 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Definitely agree, but this conversation started from "You see a guy in a fancy car, what percentage of his salary did it cost?" not "where should I go to grad school, all else being equal?"
Conversations evolve. Or are you a creationist?
Conversation fossils were put on this earth to test our faith.

My faith is my shield. I wear the whole armor of God.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:58 pm

Wow this thread blows.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Why do some people not realize that sitting around in a McMansion in the suburbs is not for everyone?
Quite a bit if difference between living in a McMansion in the suburbs and building a house next to the Pacific ocean. In any case doctors have the option. Big lawyers really don't.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:03 pm

rayiner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Why do some people not realize that sitting around in a McMansion in the suburbs is not for everyone?
Quite a bit if difference between living in a McMansion in the suburbs and building a house next to the Pacific ocean. In any case doctors have the option. Big lawyers really don't.
...but lawyers have Long Island Sound.

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:06 pm

rayiner wrote: You like them now, but 15 years from now you'll still have 20 years of your career left to go but a couple of kids in tow. Will fighting through the filthy crowds of NYC still seem so great?
BTW. In response to this post. My answer is - Yes! I <3 NYC. And...
Kids <3 NYC too.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:33 pm

rayiner wrote:
I think my favorite part about you is the non-stop subtle stream of consciousness self loathing. He hates lawyers, he hates the law, he hates NYC, and yet...

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:23 am

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
rayiner wrote:
...but lawyers have Long Island Sound.
Long Island Sound is quite heavily polluted. Its hard to describe to someone from the Northeast how incredibly magical the west coast is.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:24 am

thesealocust wrote:
rayiner wrote:
I think my favorite part about you is the non-stop subtle stream of consciousness self loathing. He hates lawyers, he hates the law, he hates NYC, and yet...
Man's gotta eat.

In any case, I don't really hate lawyers or the law. It's a good living as far as I can tell. The work is interesting. Less interesting than when I was an engineer, but way better than what normal people do for a living. Hours are tolerable. Pay is more than we're worth.

As for NYC, I use my loathing to motivate me to do well so I can GTFO.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”