Big Law: Getting a job Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JSC4

New

Big Law: Getting a job

Post by JSC4 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:08 am

After reading about so many people not being able to find a coveted Big Law job, I was wondering how difficult the process really is.

I mean coming from CCN around the median, how difficult is it to actually get a Big Law job. I imagine there are several jobs out there since there are so many big law firms.

Thanks

Veyron

Gold

Re: Big Law: Getting a job

Post by Veyron » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:54 am

JSC4 wrote:After reading about so many people not being able to find a coveted Big Law job, I was wondering how difficult the process really is.

I mean coming from CCN around the median, how difficult is it to actually get a Big Law job. I imagine there are several jobs out there since there are so many big law firms.

Thanks
Indeed, there ARE several jobs out there.

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:22 am

JSC4 wrote:After reading about so many people not being able to find a coveted Big Law job, I was wondering how difficult the process really is.

Thanks
Median at CCN should be fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:25 am

pasteurizedmilk wrote:

Thanks
Rising 3L at N-

Public interest focused so didn't do EIW but many friends in the middle third struck out last year.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:20 am

WTF, OP? Is this thread serious? Search function?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote:

Thanks
Rising 3L at N-

Public interest focused so didn't do EIW but many friends in the middle third struck out last year.
You're saying many friends near median struck out doing EIW?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:31 am

thecilent wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote:

Thanks
Rising 3L at N-

You're saying many friends near median struck out doing EIW?
Yes.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
thecilent wrote:You're saying many friends near median struck out doing EIW?
Yes.
Same was true last year at my school (Virginia).

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:40 am

You mean not everyone at a T10 law school is guaranteed a big law job anymore? That's preposterous!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:41 am

Cavalier wrote:You mean not everyone at a T10 law school is guaranteed a big law job anymore? That's preposterous!
Hey the economy's a little better now, maybe they will be this year?

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Yes.
Well fuck me, then.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:44 am

Cavalier wrote:You mean not everyone at a T10 law school is guaranteed a big law job anymore? That's preposterous!
I didn't say it was unexpected. I was just responding to the post that said median is fine.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:45 am

Um. That's not the same as "many median people at T6 didn't land biglaw."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:48 am

thecilent wrote:
Um. That's not the same as "many median people at T6 didn't land biglaw."
Also, this.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:05 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:

Thanks
Median at CCN, struck out at OCI, checking in here.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:08 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote:

Thanks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:17 pm

So how did top 1/3+ fare at MVP and CCN then?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:43 pm

thecilent wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote:

Thanks
Do you think the chances of striking out at OCI at NYU are much different from OCI at Chicago or CLS? Or Mich, Virginia or Penn for that matter?

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:57 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
thecilent wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote: Median at CCN should be fine.
Do you think the chances of striking out at OCI at NYU are much different from OCI at Chicago or CLS? Or Mich, Virginia or Penn for that matter?
I think the poster's point was that at NYU the major firm-hiring is done at EIW, not OCI, which features government employers and smaller firms. I will say however that I've seen NYUers refer to EIW as OCI for the sake of clarity or (on the flip side) ambiguity.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:00 pm

zanda wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
thecilent wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
I think the poster's point was that at NYU the major firm-hiring is done at EIW, not OCI, which features government employers and smaller firms. I will say however that I've seen NYUers refer to EIW as OCI for the sake of clarity or (on the flip side) ambiguity.
That clarifies things. I usually just use OCI to mean "all campus interview fairs."

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:19 pm

Stats say that last year 70% of students participating in EIW got something at both CLS and NYU. The thing is outside top 30% or so (say Stone at CLS), and above the very bottom of the class, grades don't matter much. Firms aren't making fine distinctions among top 40% and top 55%. So the 30% of people who don't get jobs aren't all bottom 30%. They're spread out through the class.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:26 pm

^ Yes, if this recruiting season is teaching me anything its that grades do not matter nearly as much as advertised. Outside of the top and bottom, its all on you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:31 pm

Is top 25% enough to distinguish someone?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is top 25% enough to distinguish someone?
T-10? Yes. I know its pretty hard not to get a BIGjob if you rock top 1/3 at Penn.
Last edited by Veyron on Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:32 pm

rayiner wrote:Stats say that last year 70% of students participating in EIW got something at both CLS and NYU. The thing is outside top 30% or so (say Stone at CLS), and above the very bottom of the class, grades don't matter much. Firms aren't making fine distinctions among top 40% and top 55%. So the 30% of people who don't get jobs aren't all bottom 30%. They're spread out through the class.

This exactly. Top third at CCN is a near-guraantee (although you could still fuck it up); beyond that, grades are one of many factors. For example, 100% of the people I personally know who struck out had median-ish grades, but no work experience; while people with interesting resumes all got jobs, regardless of grades.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”