Tattoo

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
FeelTheHeat

Re: Tattoo

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:28 am

Love that picwhoring is demanded in the legal employment forum. Kid's gonna go far

mths

Postby mths » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:49 am

Barbie wrote:I have 7 tattoos and live in Florida so I'm sure this will happen... and tbh, I'm going to rock my bikini because its all I own and I look damn good in it. If this causes a serious issue, I didn't want to work for that firm anyways. If it doesnt interfere with what I look like on a day to day work basis, it really shouldn't matter.

Not the smartest thing I've ever heard. Tattoos are not professional and if you have them, the most respectful thing to the firm would be to try and show as few of them as possible. As for the bikini issue, I don't see any problems with going to the store and buying a more conservative suit so that I can continue to be judged of my merits and not as that one summer who wore a slutty suit to the company pool party.

But I guess to each their own.

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:54 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:Love that picwhoring is demanded in the legal employment forum. Kid's gonna go far

Claiming to look damn good in a bikini is a pretty serious proclamation, and should be accompanied with corroborating evidence.

xyzbca

Postby xyzbca » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:12 pm

mths wrote:
Barbie wrote:I have 7 tattoos and live in Florida so I'm sure this will happen... and tbh, I'm going to rock my bikini because its all I own and I look damn good in it. If this causes a serious issue, I didn't want to work for that firm anyways. If it doesnt interfere with what I look like on a day to day work basis, it really shouldn't matter.

Not the smartest thing I've ever heard. Tattoos are not professional and if you have them, the most respectful thing to the firm would be to try and show as few of them as possible. As for the bikini issue, I don't see any problems with going to the store and buying a more conservative suit so that I can continue to be judged of my merits and not as that one summer who wore a slutty suit to the company pool party.

I'm just entertained by the idea that any law student would be dismissive of any potential employer ITE. "I have so many job offers from non-conservative firms that I don't want waste my time with your firm...."

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:15 pm

mths wrote:

Nearly 40% of people aged 18-40 have at least one tattoo (Pew Survey, 2006) Once the boomers finally get the eff out of our way I predict that tattoos that can be covered by a shirt and pants will be totally acceptable at the kinds of social functions in which more skin is bared. After all pretty soon partners are going to be showing up to these functions with tattoos... and if the partner can do it, so can the associates.

You come off sounding pretty judgmental about something that basically harms no one.

xyzbca

Postby xyzbca » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:18 pm

firemed wrote:Nearly 40% of people aged 18-40 have at least one tattoo (Pew Survey, 2006) Once the boomers finally get the eff out of our way I predict that tattoos that can be covered by a shirt and pants will be totally acceptable at the kinds of social functions in which more skin is bared. After all pretty soon partners are going to be showing up to these functions with tattoos... and if the partner can do it, so can the associates.

You come off sounding pretty judgmental about something that basically harms no one.

Prediction: Partners will show up at these functions with patches of slightly off colored skin where tattoos used to be.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:20 pm

firemed wrote:
mths wrote:

Nearly 40% of people aged 18-40 have at least one tattoo (Pew Survey, 2006) Once the boomers finally get the eff out of our way I predict that tattoos that can be covered by a shirt and pants will be totally acceptable at the kinds of social functions in which more skin is bared. After all pretty soon partners are going to be showing up to these functions with tattoos... and if the partner can do it, so can the associates.

I highly doubt that 40% of people aged 18-40% who have the credentials to work at a high end law firm have a tattoo. I wish it were otherwise (I've been thinking about getting one for a while now), but I'd be surprised to find that it would be totally acceptable to put them on display.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:27 pm

dailygrind wrote:I highly doubt that 40% of people aged 18-40% who have the credentials to work at a high end law firm have a tattoo. I wish it were otherwise (I've been thinking about getting one for a while now), but I'd be surprised to find that it would be totally acceptable to put them on display.

Yeah I'd also doubt that.

Really? You don't want to get a tattoo because you're afraid of what colleagues might think? Did you want to get something insane, or are you just being a wimp?

Also, it was only a short ban, but pretty unnecessary. I mean, the other guy trolled me and I trolled him back. And this whole subject of the thread is pretty borderline of deserving to be in the lounge in the first place.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:36 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
dailygrind wrote:I highly doubt that 40% of people aged 18-40% who have the credentials to work at a high end law firm have a tattoo. I wish it were otherwise (I've been thinking about getting one for a while now), but I'd be surprised to find that it would be totally acceptable to put them on display.

Really? You don't want to get a tattoo because you're afraid of what colleagues might think? Did you want to get something insane, or are you just being a wimp?

Also, it was only a short ban, but pretty unnecessary. I mean, the other guy trolled me and I trolled him back. And this whole subject of the thread is pretty borderline of deserving to be in the lounge in the first place.

It's got little to do with what others might think. I'm more concerned with what I would think 20-30 years from now, when I've still got 30 years left to go and I'm still displaying a piece of artwork I chose in my mid twenties.

Also, you've done little but troll in this thread. None of it has been egregious, but I look at 0Ls posting in any of the forums for law students (forum for law students, transfers, and employment) with a more critical eye.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:43 pm

dailygrind wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:

It's got little to do with what others might think. I'm more concerned with what I would think 20-30 years from now, when I've still got 30 years left to go and I'm still displaying a piece of artwork I chose in my mid twenties.

Also, you've done little but troll in this thread. None of it has been egregious, but I look at 0Ls posting in any of the forums for law students (forum for law students, transfers, and employment) with a more critical eye.

How mature of you.

Also, I'll be sure not to have fun in any of the super serious law student forums again. I'll be super serial from hereon out (especially in threads as serious as this one!).

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:44 pm

Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mths

Postby mths » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:22 pm

xyzbca wrote:
mths wrote:

I'm just entertained by the idea that any law student would be dismissive of any potential employer ITE. "I have so many job offers from non-conservative firms that I don't want waste my time with your firm...."

this is exactly what I meant

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:26 pm

on another note, if im ever in the situation should i keep my shirt on if im ripped? Obviously not a horrible thing but could bring unwatned attention

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:on another note, if im ever in the situation should i keep my shirt on if im ripped? Obviously not a horrible thing but could bring unwatned attention

:lol: Did this really have to be an Anon post?

mths

Postby mths » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:50 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:on another note, if im ever in the situation should i keep my shirt on if im ripped? Obviously not a horrible thing but could bring unwatned attention

:lol: Did this really have to be an Anon post?

everyone clearly knows it's bond anyways

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:07 pm

dailygrind wrote:
firemed wrote:
mths wrote:

I highly doubt that 40% of people aged 18-40% who have the credentials to work at a high end law firm have a tattoo. I wish it were otherwise (I've been thinking about getting one for a while now), but I'd be surprised to find that it would be totally acceptable to put them on display.

I wouldnt doubt it. Most of my friends have tattoos, though most are small. I have one, and I have friends that are just now noticing it after its been there for years.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:12 pm

firemed wrote:
mths wrote:

Nearly 40% of people aged 18-40 have at least one tattoo (Pew Survey, 2006).

She said she had seven, though. As someone with five, I would definitely not show them at a firm event, whereas if I had one little spring-break-in-college one, I think I would share your philosophy and be comfortable showing it.

Full disclosure: I don't think I would wear JUST a bathing suit at a work function regardless of my tattoo status. I admire people who would, but to me that would feel too bizarre.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:18 pm

bport hopeful wrote:

I wouldnt doubt it. Most of my friends have tattoos, though most are small. I have one, and I have friends that are just now noticing it after its been there for years.

Are ~40% of you going to work in high end law firms?

smokyroom26

Postby smokyroom26 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:20 pm

My dad is a partner in a midsize firm. He has four tattoos (all of which can be easily covered by business clothes).

Baring a tattoo at the office is one thing, but at a party where you will be wearing a bathing suit? Come on. I don't think we're giving the older, more conservative partners enough credit. As long as your tattoo isn't offensive, raunchy, or otherwise in poor taste, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with seeing it at a pool party.

And I agree about bikini v. more conservative bathing suit. I rock bikinis, but I would definitely get one of those cute 60s-style one-piece suits for a firm event.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:41 pm

dailygrind wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:

Are ~40% of you going to work in high end law firms?

I was referring to the original percentage of people 18-40. Sorry for the confusion.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:52 pm

mths wrote:
xyzbca wrote:
mths wrote:

this is exactly what I meant

FTR, most of my tattoos would show in any swimsuit, not just a bikini. Two of them even show in business attire unless I go out of my way to cover them. One firm I worked for (NLJ) made me do this at first, and then agreed to let me show them because they are pretty small and don't stand out, while the other firm I worked for didn't care at all.

The only tattoo I would be hesitant showing at a firm event is the enormous dragon on the side of my hip (Ah, my 16-17 year old rebellion days). The rest of them are basic latin scripture, or flowers, or something of the sort that I don't mind showing in a less formal setting, as is the beach.

*edited my tar in the spirit of this thread :)

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:15 pm

I guess I'm fucked then.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:16 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:I guess I'm fucked then.

I'm with you.

TurtlesAllTheWayDown

Postby TurtlesAllTheWayDown » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:21 pm

What if your sleeves have French cuffs?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:43 pm

I'm pretty much live and let live- but I guess if I were female I would draw the line at a lower back "tramp stamp"- while I really don't care what'sa on your skin - I think it could engender some uncomfortable verbal barbs that you would have to weather.

But I also agree with those who say you are just a small cog in the production machine- if you bill 2500 hours do you really think the firm will care that you have a dragon across your ass?

Besides it seems that alot of partners are pervs or lecherous old men- so who are they to act holier than thou? People who live in glass houses and all that.....

Return to “Legal Employment”