Tattoo Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Voyager

Silver

Re: Tattoo

Post by Voyager » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:09 pm

No one at your firm will care short of a swastika.

And the very very few people who might care will NOT be attending the beach party.

smokyroom26

Bronze

Post by smokyroom26 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:26 am

Voyager wrote:
And the very very few people who might care will NOT be attending the beach party.
Excellent point.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:45 am

smokyroom26 wrote:
Voyager wrote:
Excellent point.
Not an excellent point. Lots of people will care, even young people.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:01 am

I still think TCR is wearing a light button-up with trunks and boat shoes and just casually your hanging out under an umbrella and shooting the shit. There will be plenty of people who don't swim, and nobody's going to force you in. Just be prepared to joke about it. It's a no lose situation going that route.

I really question how frequently these pool party firm event go down. Gotta imagine it would tend to make people uncomfortable.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:24 am

Bronte wrote:I still think TCR is wearing a light button-up with trunks and boat shoes and just casually your hanging out under an umbrella and shooting the shit. There will be plenty of people who don't swim, and nobody's going to force you in. Just be prepared to joke about it. It's a no lose situation going that route.

I really question how frequently these pool party firm event go down. Gotta imagine it would tend to make people uncomfortable.
This is an excellent point(s)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:27 am

I have a ton of tattoos, but I would never let any of my coworkers see them, no way, no how. I've been to plenty of casual events (no pool parties, but beach events, baseball games, etc.), and I wear a light long sleeve shirt, some boat shoes, and shorts or summery pants.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:44 am

I think that all the people with tattoos in this thread who are afraid to show them should wait until they make partner and then let it all hang out at social events so this stupid stigma goes away and at least the next generation can be themselves at, for the love of pete, casual social events.

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:31 am

Are all big firm attorneys judgemental assholes with WWII-era notions of appropriate behavior? It sounds like the worst shit ever. "Don't forget about the company beach party this Saturday (unless you get an assignment Friday afternoon), and remember to come fully clothed!"

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:53 am

I have a slightly contoversial tattoo on my calf. If I ever feel like wearing shorts to a casual event, im fuckin doin it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:50 pm

Renzo wrote:
smokyroom26 wrote:
Voyager wrote:
Excellent point.
Wow. I have never had a negative reaction to my tattoo in any work environment. I really think you guys are way way over thinking this.

The social rejects who populate most law firms will respect the tattoos. No one is going to care. They just... won't. Hell, I just spent 4 days at cancun with my top consulting firm and this was not a problem.

EDIT: I mean, seriously, stop and think about this for a moment. Does professionally punishing someone for a tattoo that is covered up at work make the least bit sense? Who would do that? Think about the attorneys you know? Most are themselves skirting the edges of socially acceptable behavior in a sad attempt to recapture the years squandered on reading bullshit contracts that could have been spent experiencing the world. They are alcholics, drug users, aldulterers, etc. As a group they are socially awkward and will actually envy your tattoo as a mark of someone who is "cool" (even though that is completely ridiculous). Today's partners are about 40 years old. They were born in the 1970s and were in high school in the 80s. I have met not a one that would worry about a tattoo.
Last edited by Voyager on Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:02 pm

Tattoos are sexy. Where teh sex.

smokyroom26

Bronze

Post by smokyroom26 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:14 pm

seatown12 wrote:Are all big firm attorneys judgemental assholes with WWII-era notions of appropriate behavior? It sounds like the worst shit ever. "Don't forget about the company beach party this Saturday (unless you get an assignment Friday afternoon), and remember to come fully clothed!"
:lol:

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:40 pm

bport hopeful wrote:I have a slightly contoversial tattoo on my calf. If I ever feel like wearing shorts to a casual event, im fuckin doin it.
Oh hey there ;) You in your shorts, me in my bikini... sounds like we'd be a good pair!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:01 pm

Voyager wrote:
Renzo wrote:
smokyroom26 wrote:
Voyager wrote:
Excellent point.
Wow. I have never had a negative reaction to my tattoo in any work environment. I really think you guys are way way over thinking this.

The social rejects who populate most law firms will respect the tattoos. No one is going to care. They just... won't. Hell, I just spent 4 days at cancun with my top consulting firm and this was not a problem.

EDIT: I mean, seriously, stop and think about this for a moment. Does professionally punishing someone for a tattoo that is covered up at work make the least bit sense? Who would do that? Think about the attorneys you know? Most are themselves skirting the edges of socially acceptable behavior in a sad attempt to recapture the years squandered on reading bullshit contracts that could have been spent experiencing the world. They are alcholics, drug users, aldulterers, etc. As a group they are socially awkward and will actually envy your tattoo as a mark of someone who is "cool" (even though that is completely ridiculous). Today's partners are about 40 years old. They were born in the 1970s and were in high school in the 80s. I have met not a one that would worry about a tattoo.
You can be as mad as you want about it, but it's still fact. There are lots of partners who will not want to let you near clients if they think you are going to do something "embarrassing," like expose the fact that you have a tattoo. Hell, I have an acquaintance who was supposed to go to court with a partner to argue a motion, but was told he couldn't come because he was wearing a pale green shirt. Actually, it went something like "not in THAT shirt you're not." You think that partner is EVER going to let someone with tattoos talk to his clients/witnesses/judges/etc.?

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:05 pm

Renzo wrote: You can be as mad as you want about it, but it's still fact. There are lots of partners who will not want to let you near clients if they think you are going to do something "embarrassing," like expose the fact that you have a tattoo. Hell, I have an acquaintance who was supposed to go to court with a partner to argue a motion, but was told he couldn't come because he was wearing a pale green shirt. Actually, it went something like "not in THAT shirt you're not." You think that partner is EVER going to let someone with tattoos talk to his clients/witnesses/judges/etc.?
Dude. What are talking about? This thread is about a firm beach party, NOT going to court. I do, in fact, think that a partner will let someone with a *covered* tattoo talk to clients. Actually, I know so. I currently am briefing senior executives at the client site, for example. Have you ever worked a day in your life in a professional environment?

Look, here is the original post. How in the name of the sweet baby jesus would this ever be a problem? You're saying that the partner won't let you talk to a client because under your dress shirt you have a tattoo somewhere? Nonsense.
I have a tattoo on my ribcage - 1.5 inches long x .5 inches heigh - so not that big. I'm wondering if I should keep it hidden at beach or swimming events during firm events. It's not obnoxious or offensive. Just wondering if I should wear a t-shirt the whole time or cover it with a bandage or if something like this is ok to show.
EDIT: ALSO, wearing a ridiculously colored dress shirt WILL get you in trouble at some offices precisely because it is out in the open. Your comparison to a tattoo is silly.

Look, I speak from 13 years of work experience. You are incorrect. The fact that this is even up for debate on this site reminds me of the profile of the typical poster on here.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:13 pm

Voyager wrote:
Renzo wrote: You can be as mad as you want about it, but it's still fact. There are lots of partners who will not want to let you near clients if they think you are going to do something "embarrassing," like expose the fact that you have a tattoo. Hell, I have an acquaintance who was supposed to go to court with a partner to argue a motion, but was told he couldn't come because he was wearing a pale green shirt. Actually, it went something like "not in THAT shirt you're not." You think that partner is EVER going to let someone with tattoos talk to his clients/witnesses/judges/etc.?
Dude. What are talking about? This thread is about a firm beach party, NOT going to court? I do, in fact, think that a partner will let someone with a *covered* tattoo talk to clients. Have you ever worked a day in your life in a professional environment?

Yes. I have worked in a professional environment. Environments, actually. For around 12 years, give or take, until I left for law school. And, in some of those environments I would compare tattoos with the boss and think nothing of it. In a biglaw firm, however, I would worry about my career longevity if certain partners found out about them. Not ALL partners, mind you; but enough.

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:15 pm

Renzo wrote:
Voyager wrote:
Dude. What are talking about? This thread is about a firm beach party, NOT going to court? I do, in fact, think that a partner will let someone with a *covered* tattoo talk to clients. Have you ever worked a day in your life in a professional environment?

Yes. I have worked in a professional environment. Environments, actually. For around 12 years, give or take, until I left for law school. And, in some of those environments I would compare tattoos with the boss and think nothing of it. In a biglaw firm, however, I would worry about my career longevity if certain partners found out about them. Not ALL partners, mind you; but enough.
Ok. Well let me assure you that you have nothing to worry about in biglaw either for all of the reasons I cited above. In fact, having one may even be a bit of a plus for you. I have yet to meet a partner or senior executive anywhere that would think negatively about this... unless your tattoo is ridiculous... in which case EVERYONE would think poorly of it.
This is not the 1970s any more.

Again, most of these partners are alchoholic, drug using, adulterers who lie, cheat and steal fairly regularly.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:18 pm

Voyager wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Voyager wrote:

Ok. Well let me assure you that you have nothing to worry about in biglaw either for all of the reasons I cited above. In fact, having one may even be a bit of a plus for you. I have yet to meet a partner or senior executive anywhere that would think negatively about this... unless your tattoo is ridiculous... in which case EVERYONE would think poorly of it.
This is not the 1970s any more.
Uhhhh... Yeah.

This summer, I have personally seen a senior attorneys deriding a support staff member for her new tattoo. He was comfortable enough in his position to do it in front of me, a lowly summer. So thanks, but I'll keep my shit covered.

ETA: I will grant you, that if you are only trying to make it three years and pay off your loans, then break out, it will have less impact on your career. If you want people to genuinely like you, associate with you, and think of you as the kind of person who they might trust around their deep-pocket clients, then its a huge potential impediment.
Last edited by Renzo on Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:21 pm

Renzo wrote: Uhhhh... Yeah.

This summer, I have personally seen a senior attorneys deriding a support staff member for her new tattoo. He was comfortable enough in his position to do it in front of me, a lowly summer. So thanks, but I'll keep my shit covered.
Perhaps you are misinterpreting what you observed. Perhaps her tattoo was silly. Also, was it exposed during the day? Rather a big difference. If it wasn't, how did he know about it?

Again, never seen this. What firm did you summer at? If that is the standard, you are working with some exceptionally socially retarded attorneys. And that is saying something.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:40 am

Barbie wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:I have a slightly contoversial tattoo on my calf. If I ever feel like wearing shorts to a casual event, im fuckin doin it.
Oh hey there ;) You in your shorts, me in my bikini... sounds like we'd be a good pair!
ITT: We tear down social stigmas and look good doin it.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:09 am

Voyager wrote:
Again, most of these partners are alchoholic, drug using, adulterers who lie, cheat and steal fairly regularly.
Where the hell do you work?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:00 am

Voyager wrote:
Renzo wrote: Uhhhh... Yeah.

Perhaps you are misinterpreting what you observed. Perhaps her tattoo was silly. Also, was it exposed during the day? Rather a big difference. If it wasn't, how did he know about it?

Again, never seen this. What firm did you summer at? If that is the standard, you are working with some exceptionally socially retarded attorneys. And that is saying something.
I think you greatly underestimate how much social stigma there still is with regard to tattoos, especially among those aged 40+, but even among younger people from upper-class backgrounds. And it's clear that nothing could or would persuade you to your mind; so rock out with your tattoos, and enjoy it. As for me, I have partnership ambitions, so no one I work with will ever, ever see them.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:12 am

At my "biglaw firm" the badass chick partner had a tattoo on her leg. She wore opaque panty-hose most of the time, but everyone knew it was there. She was awesome. :)

Tbh, I think this is actually similar to the ugly vs hot debate. It's judging someone based on what is on the outside instead of their grades, intelligence, professionalism, rank, etc. It may have some impact, but in most cases is trivial.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”