Tattoo

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
professork

Tattoo

Postby professork » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:01 pm

I have a tattoo on my ribcage - 1.5 inches long x .5 inches heigh - so not that big. I'm wondering if I should keep it hidden at beach or swimming events during firm events. It's not obnoxious or offensive. Just wondering if I should wear a t-shirt the whole time or cover it with a bandage or if something like this is ok to show.

bport hopeful

Re: Tattoo

Postby bport hopeful » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:03 pm

need pix bro.

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:04 pm

Yeah, those firm swimming events can be tricky. What does the tattoo look like?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:05 pm

Firms have beach/swimming events?

professork

Postby professork » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:06 pm

It's just a short phrase in non-english.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:10 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Firms have beach/swimming events?

professork

Postby professork » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:14 pm

Mine does - didn't know it was so uncommon.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:16 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Firms have beach/swimming events?

0L here, I also thought this. I got a peace sign on my back, so also interested in this. Not that I'd cover it up in any case, but just wondering if anyone would actually care, other than to think wrongly that I'm a pacifist or something.

professork

Postby professork » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:28 pm

Aside from their apparent rarity, do you imagine that any senior associates/partners would care about this?

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:29 pm

The apparent rarity of firm swimming events, or tattoos?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:33 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:The apparent rarity of firm swimming events, or tattoos?

Lol, or senior associates and partners. Of the four, firm swimming events are probably the rarest. First, I don't think you can ever be faulted for keeping your shirt and avoiding the water. I usually do for no other reason than I'd rather sit in the shade and have drink. However, I don't think a small tattoo on your torso is going to be a problem. If clients can't see it, why do they care? You're not gonna get no-offered because of it.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:37 pm

Even before reading the ATL post, my first thought was ribcage=why are you showing this at a firm beach/pool party? I'm not saying that you should cover up in a 50s-onepiece, but a bikini is probably not the best of ideas either. This could be a good place to have the "what bathing attire is appropriate" debate. I'd say most one-pieces are a-go, and no bikinis. The rest I'm iffy on. Like this is unbearably trashy, whereas something like this I think would work well.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:39 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:Even before reading the ATL post, my first thought was ribcage=why are you showing this at a firm beach/pool party? I'm not saying that you should cover up in a 50s-onepiece, but a bikini is probably not the best of ideas either. This could be a good place to have the "what bathing attire is appropriate" debate. I'd say most one-pieces are a-go, and no bikinis. The rest I'm iffy on. Like this is unbearably trashy, whereas something like this I think would work well.

I kinda figured OP was a dude.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:42 pm

Oh heh.
Not that the tat OP described is girly or anything. I bet David Beckham would do that.

ETA: I don't know why this is anon but I'm not bothered enough to figure out how to change it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:57 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:Even before reading the ATL post, my first thought was ribcage=why are you showing this at a firm beach/pool party? I'm not saying that you should cover up in a 50s-onepiece, but a bikini is probably not the best of ideas either. This could be a good place to have the "what bathing attire is appropriate" debate. I'd say most one-pieces are a-go, and no bikinis. The rest I'm iffy on. Like this is unbearably trashy, whereas something like this I think would work well.

Whereas I'm thinking that it depends on whether the surrounding areas will divert enough attention that nobody will notice the tatoo.

professork

Postby professork » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:27 am

Yea I'm a dude. Haha weird though b/c I never thought that the ribcage would be girly. Just didn't want it on my shoulder blade or chest or arm, so just slabbed it on my left ribcage.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:28 am

Why do people get tattoos?

RCRARollin

Postby RCRARollin » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:50 am

just wear a beachy/aloha shirt with swimtrunks. if you really want to go in the water/seems like the situations requires it, take the shirt off. otherwise, just stay socialize out of the water.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:58 am

All that posts like this do is make me realize even more how much I don't want to work at a big, conservative firm. It's a tattoo. It's not visible in the office. Who gives a fuck?

Also,

Seriously???

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:12 am

Holly Golightly wrote:All that posts like this do is make me realize even more how much I don't want to work at a big, conservative firm. It's a tattoo. It's not visible in the office. Who gives a fuck?

Also,

Seriously???

HGL, you've taken a liking to arguing with me on multiple threads. Should I ask why or just be grateful I turned down Northwestern so that I'll never have to try to bribe my way into your good graces?

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:13 am

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:All that posts like this do is make me realize even more how much I don't want to work at a big, conservative firm. It's a tattoo. It's not visible in the office. Who gives a fuck?

Also,

Seriously???

HGL, you've taken a liking to arguing with me on multiple threads. Should I ask why or just be grateful I turned down Northwestern so that I'll never have to try to bribe my way into your good graces?

Do you understand what a ribcage is? Or what a penis is?

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:19 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:

Also,

Seriously???

Do you understand what a ribcage is? Or what a penis is?

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:24 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:Do you understand what a ribcage is? Or what a penis is?

Yet you suggested this for OP:

--ImageRemoved--

And it remains to be seen whether or not you know what a penis is.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:26 am

I have 7 tattoos and live in Florida so I'm sure this will happen... and tbh, I'm going to rock my bikini because its all I own and I look damn good in it. If this causes a serious issue, I didn't want to work for that firm anyways. If it doesnt interfere with what I look like on a day to day work basis, it really shouldn't matter.

Return to “Legal Employment”