Quick Cover Letter Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kalvano

Quick Cover Letter Question

Postby kalvano » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:45 pm

How does one address a cover letter if there is zero contact info for the firm? No recruiting coordinator, no contact attorney on the web site, no NALP info, nothing.

Anonymous User

Re: Quick Cover Letter Question

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:47 pm

call up the firm and ask who your cover letter should be addressed to. if thats to no avail, then just have a general designation like "dear recruiting coordinator" or something along those lines.

Glock

Postby Glock » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:38 pm

I have only faced that once and I addressed it to the managing partner. I like making it personal and to some decision maker rather than something generic like "to whom it may concern" or "recruiting coordinator".

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:27 pm

Lol local small firms. They don't even list who the managing partner is.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:26 am

kalvano wrote:Lol local small firms. They don't even list who the managing partner is.

In which case I would address it to the a partner that went to your law school. If that is not available I would mail it to the oldest partner available. I hold the opinion that personal is better than generic. Even better- find somebody who knows one of them and send a "XXXXX told me I should contact you".

Return to “Legal Employment”