At top of class +LR. But typo on resume. How screwed?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

At top of class +LR. But typo on resume. How screwed?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:09 pm

I'm top 10% with LR but I sent my resume with a typo. No one, including myself, freakin noticed! Not even my counselor. Now that I look at it though, pretty obvious. I abbreviated a state wrong.
Can't help but feel like lebron James here, messing up on the 4th quarter.
How much does this completely F my chances?

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: At top of class +LR. But typo on resume. How screwed?

Postby Bronte » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:11 pm

You'll be fine. Many recruiters won't notice. Those that do will mark it against you, but not significantly. Everybody makes mistakes.

smittytron3k
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: At top of class +LR. But typo on resume. How screwed?

Postby smittytron3k » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:12 pm

I think you'll be OK. Make sure you do not tell interviewers that you want to take your talents to their law firm.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: At top of class +LR. But typo on resume. How screwed?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:22 pm

Someone at my school got offers at Sullcrom and W&C with a typo on his resume (although not after being yelled at by the Sullcrom hiring partner).

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: At top of class +LR. But typo on resume. How screwed?

Postby Bronte » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:29 pm

I'm curious what genre of typo this is.

User avatar
leobowski
Posts: 511
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:11 am

Re: At top of class +LR. But typo on resume. How screwed?

Postby leobowski » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:38 pm

Bronte wrote:I'm curious what genre of typo this is.


Anonymous User wrote:I'm top 10% with LR but I sent my resume with a typo. No one, including myself, freakin noticed! Not even my counselor. Now that I look at it though, pretty obvious. I abbreviated a state wrong.
Can't help but feel like lebron James here, messing up on the 4th quarter.
How much does this completely F my chances?

nymario
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: At top of class +LR. But typo on resume. How screwed?

Postby nymario » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:47 pm

leobowski wrote:
Bronte wrote:I'm curious what genre of typo this is.


Anonymous User wrote:I'm top 10% with LR but I sent my resume with a typo. No one, including myself, freakin noticed! Not even my counselor. Now that I look at it though, pretty obvious. I abbreviated a state wrong.
Can't help but feel like lebron James here, messing up on the 4th quarter.
How much does this completely F my chances?


Are you trying to say that Bronte made a reado?

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: At top of class +LR. But typo on resume. How screwed?

Postby Bronte » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:56 pm

nymario wrote:
leobowski wrote:
Bronte wrote:I'm curious what genre of typo this is.


Anonymous User wrote:I'm top 10% with LR but I sent my resume with a typo. No one, including myself, freakin noticed! Not even my counselor. Now that I look at it though, pretty obvious. I abbreviated a state wrong.
Can't help but feel like lebron James here, messing up on the 4th quarter.
How much does this completely F my chances?


Are you trying to say that Bronte made a reado?


Indeed I did.

Abbreviating a state wrong is not really on the level of most typos, although it depends on how. If it was like CN instead of CT, that's really minor. If it was like ILx instead of IL that's worse, but you'll be fine.

User avatar
Heartford
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: At top of class +LR. But typo on resume. How screwed?

Postby Heartford » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:57 pm

Didn't lawfirmrecruiter already tell you that you're pretty much screwed? Did you start this thread in the hopes that random fellow students might make you feel better?

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: At top of class +LR. But typo on resume. How screwed?

Postby Bronte » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:18 pm

Heartford wrote:Didn't lawfirmrecruiter already tell you that you're pretty much screwed? Did you start this thread in the hopes that random fellow students might make you feel better?


If that's the case, do you really feel the need to rub it in his face?

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: At top of class +LR. But typo on resume. How screwed?

Postby Cavalier » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:23 pm

Abbreviating a state wrong is not really on the level of most typos, although it depends on how. If it was like CN instead of CT, that's really minor. If it was like ILx instead of IL that's worse, but you'll be fine.

This is what I'm thinking. If it's a result of simply being mistaken on the abbreviation (for example, up until recently I thought Missouri was MI, not MO), that's not going to be a big deal. But abbreviating Missouri as RX is more problematic.

die Zauberflote
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: At top of class +LR. But typo on resume. How screwed?

Postby die Zauberflote » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:44 pm

I spelled my own name wrong on my Chicago application and I got in...I wouldn't sweat it.

Black-Blue
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: At top of class +LR. But typo on resume. How screwed?

Postby Black-Blue » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:01 pm

Easy solution to put this matter to rest is to give an updated resume at the interview. Just rearrange some of the stuff to make it look like you had a legitimate reason to update your resume.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: At top of class +LR. But typo on resume. How screwed?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:24 pm

Black-Blue wrote:Easy solution to put this matter to rest is to give an updated resume at the interview. Just rearrange some of the stuff to make it look like you had a legitimate reason to update your resume.

yea, but the only problem is, they have to pick you to interview first, and that requires a look at the resume....

my typo was something along the lines of "Los Angeles, CT," but of course mine is different. one letter off. I cant believe I didn't catch it...

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: At top of class +LR. But typo on resume. How screwed?

Postby Grizz » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:33 pm

Another angle:

You can't do anything now. Just don't do it again.

Kimberly
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:45 pm

Re: At top of class +LR. But typo on resume. How screwed?

Postby Kimberly » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:49 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Kimberly on Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nymario
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: At top of class +LR. But typo on resume. How screwed?

Postby nymario » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:30 am

Kimberly wrote:Sometimes, actually most of the time, things happen for a reason. Perhaps your fatal error that you and other repeatedly failed to catch is going to save you from being hired at the job that would find you a depressed, broke-down, low-quality-of-life, slave... it may just be a blessing in disguise. My advice- go with it. Don't sweat it. Life goes on. And, you may well be better off for it. ;)


"Things happen for a reason" is the dumbest, most trite phrase on the planet. Maybe he'll end up depressed, turn to drugs, or worse -- or maybe he'll end up in a slightly less prestigious job and have a more ordinary career than he otherwise would have. On the other hand, maybe you're right. But if so, it wasn't for a reason other than chance. Nobody can really play out the counterfactual. Things don't happen for a reason, they just happen.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: At top of class +LR. But typo on resume. How screwed?

Postby Grizz » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:57 am

Kimberly wrote:Sometimes, actually most of the time, things happen for a reason. Perhaps your fatal error that you and other repeatedly failed to catch is going to save you from being hired at the job that would find you a depressed, broke-down, low-quality-of-life, slave... it may just be a blessing in disguise. My advice- go with it. Don't sweat it. Life goes on. And, you may well be better off for it. ;)

Lol. Or you default on your loans. Whatever.

User avatar
theturkeyisfat
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:04 am

Re: At top of class +LR. But typo on resume. How screwed?

Postby theturkeyisfat » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:18 am

dude's at the top of his class, so should be able to find a good job if he/she puts some effort into the job search, even if this typo hurts him at some firms.

right??

Kimberly
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:45 pm

Re: At top of class +LR. But typo on resume. How screwed?

Postby Kimberly » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:33 am

nymario wrote:
Kimberly wrote:Sometimes, actually most of the time, things happen for a reason. Perhaps your fatal error that you and other repeatedly failed to catch is going to save you from being hired at the job that would find you a depressed, broke-down, low-quality-of-life, slave... it may just be a blessing in disguise. My advice- go with it. Don't sweat it. Life goes on. And, you may well be better off for it. ;)


"Things happen for a reason" is the dumbest, most trite phrase on the planet. Maybe he'll end up depressed, turn to drugs, or worse -- or maybe he'll end up in a slightly less prestigious job and have a more ordinary career than he otherwise would have. On the other hand, maybe you're right. But if so, it wasn't for a reason other than chance. Nobody can really play out the counterfactual. Things don't happen for a reason, they just happen.


"Nobody can really play out the counterfactual", true. But, just as you can create opportunities, you can also obscure opportunities... it often doesn't "just happen." Things that just happen are things like being caught in a liquor store while it is being robbed by a meth addict... on the other hand, when you have a resume in front of you that you have been meticulously going over and over and yet have failed to recognize such an obvious error, it happens for a reason in my world, whether conscious or subconscious. That error, will likely obscure some opportunities and open others for you that you may not have considered had the error not occurred. Nevertheless, call it chance, call it fate, the outcome is the same regardless. Fact is, which was my point in the first place, life goes on. You can choose to dwell on the lost opportunities or dwell on the resulting open ones.... I choose the latter; I am happier for it. And, I have had success with this method... opportunities abound for those looking forward, not backward.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: At top of class +LR. But typo on resume. How screwed?

Postby Grizz » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:39 am

Kimberly wrote:
nymario wrote:
Kimberly wrote:Sometimes, actually most of the time, things happen for a reason. Perhaps your fatal error that you and other repeatedly failed to catch is going to save you from being hired at the job that would find you a depressed, broke-down, low-quality-of-life, slave... it may just be a blessing in disguise. My advice- go with it. Don't sweat it. Life goes on. And, you may well be better off for it. ;)


"Things happen for a reason" is the dumbest, most trite phrase on the planet. Maybe he'll end up depressed, turn to drugs, or worse -- or maybe he'll end up in a slightly less prestigious job and have a more ordinary career than he otherwise would have. On the other hand, maybe you're right. But if so, it wasn't for a reason other than chance. Nobody can really play out the counterfactual. Things don't happen for a reason, they just happen.


"Nobody can really play out the counterfactual", true. But, just as you can create opportunities, you can also obscure opportunities... it often doesn't "just happen." Things that just happen are things like being caught in a liquor store while it is being robbed by a meth addict... on the other hand, when you have a resume in front of you that you have been meticulously going over and over and yet have failed to recognize such an obvious error, it happens for a reason in my world, whether conscious or subconscious. That error, will likely obscure some opportunities and open others for you that you may not have considered had the error not occurred. Nevertheless, call it chance, call it fate, the outcome is the same regardless. Fact is, which was my point in the first place, life goes on. You can choose to dwell on the lost opportunities or dwell on the resulting open ones.... I choose the latter; I am happier for it. And, I have had success with this method... opportunities abound for those looking forward, not backward.


i'm 12 years old and what is this

pasteurizedmilk
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: At top of class +LR. But typo on resume. How screwed?

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:24 am

I had a typo and got a ton of offers. Hell I pointed it out at one interview and the dude just laughed.

You're fine. But do submit an updated resume.

LogosEther
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:43 am

Re: At top of class +LR. But typo on resume. How screwed?

Postby LogosEther » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:25 am

It's really not a big deal at all. Don't sweat it.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.