Applying in same market for OCI while currently an SA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Applying in same market for OCI while currently an SA

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:57 pm

Okay, so I'm a rising 3L and working in DC biglaw this summer. I love DC and am trying to do everything I can to stay here after law school. However, my firm says they don't give out offers until sometime in September. They usually give close to 100% offers, and I just had a great mid-summer evaluation, but as a disclaimer the firm tells all the SAs to go through OCI when we get back to school. Like most schools, 3L OCI is very limited and there are not many firms with offerings for placement in DC.

That being said, I am wondering if I should send my resume to a few other biglaw firms in DC while I am here for the next 3 weeks and see if I could line up some interviews while I'm still here. My concern is that I just don't want to burn a bridge with my current firm in the event that the new firms ask for a reference from my current firm (or if they just happen to find out through word of mouth). Perhaps they'd think I'm not happy where I am (which couldn't be further from the truth). I am only doing this as an added precaution and don't want to shoot myself in the foot by doing so.

Would really appreciate any insight!

thesealocust

Re: Applying in same market for OCI while currently an SA

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote: but as a disclaimer the firm tells all the SAs to go through OCI when we get back to school. Like

Wow, I've never heard of that before, that's a little scary. Can anybody else comment on if they've heard of a firm doing that?

Regardless, you should definitely 'mass mail' more firms in DC. Don't worry about the implications, it's completely normal.

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:09 pm

Applying to other firms in D.C. while you are still in town is prudent. It does not seem, especially given the firm's recommendations regarding OCI, etc., that it would be inappropriate for you to explore every option. The only suggestion I offer is to talk about this with your supervisor. They should fully understand why you're doing what you are and not take it as any sort of slight or negative signal from you.

RCRARollin

Postby RCRARollin » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:17 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:Applying to other firms in D.C. while you are still in town is prudent. It does not seem, especially given the firm's recommendations regarding OCI, etc., that it would be inappropriate for you to explore every option. The only suggestion I offer is to talk about this with your supervisor. They should fully understand why you're doing what you are and not take it as any sort of slight or negative signal from you.

What I would suggest. Just make clear that you like the firm but you want to cover your a$$.

Return to “Legal Employment”