Last-minute market splitting decision

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Last-minute market splitting decision

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:58 am

Background: 6 H's at Harvard (same obnoxious poster, I know). Grew up in SoCal, went to UG and worked for a year in NorCal. Was initially exclusively targeting LA largely because I thought it would be easier than targeting SF. However, I am starting to think it might be smarter to just not bid on LA firms with small class sizes and instead just split between markets, picking firms with big summer programs in both cities. Thoughts? Will bidding multiple offices of the same firm in SF and LA look bad/indecisive?

Anonymous User

Re: Last-minute market splitting decision

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:11 am

As someone doing something similar in the TX market, I decided it was not a bad idea to split among firm's offices within the state. As long as you can honestly convey an interest in returning to the state, and then returning to that firm within the state, I don't think they will hold it against you.

*I haven't been through it yet, so it could still come back to bite me, but this is my opinion/decision which was supported by career services.

Return to “Legal Employment”