who do i email if no direct contact for hr is on website

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

who do i email if no direct contact for hr is on website

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:44 pm

Should I email the Managing Partner? Weary about this because I do not want the email to get blown off.

There is a general HR email posted but isn't it better to specifically target someone? esp. for cover letter purposes? all info is appreciated.

Heartford

Re: who do i email if no direct contact for hr is on website

Postby Heartford » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:49 pm

It's obviously better if you have contact info for a specific person, but sometimes you can't find that information for a reason- they just want you to use the generic HR email address. If you've tried your best to track down a name but can't, you're probably better off emailing the generic address with a "Dear Recruiting Manager," or something along those lines.

Some people would advise you to contact a managing partner directly. I would worry that a partner would wonder why you were apparently incapable of just contacting HR, as their website directs...

(Also: if the firm is on NALP, there will probably be recruiting contact info there.)

GMVarun

Postby GMVarun » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Should I email the Managing Partner? Weary about this because I do not want the email to get blown off.

There is a general HR email posted but isn't it better to specifically target someone? esp. for cover letter purposes? all info is appreciated.

You can generally call to ask. I did this when applying for 1L positions.

kapachino

Postby kapachino » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:52 pm

Cold contacting people tends to be very hit or miss, especially when it comes to contacting the upper reaches. Most people don't mind helping if you're polite and they have the time to help, but others absolutely hate it. It might be better to call and ask if you can have the contact info for HR, and if that's not available, ask for the info of someone with some purview over what is it you're trying to get into.

Return to “Legal Employment”