Connection to firm via client...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Connection to firm via client...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:04 pm

If it matters, I'm top 10% w/secondary journal, at a 2nd tier school in a secondary market- a small state in which I grew up.

My dad owns a small company in the state. My grandfather owned it before him. A medium-sized firm has represented the company for ~40 years. As might be expected, my dad is on a first-name basis with a firm chairman/head of a practice group.

The firm is coming to OCI and I am actually legitimately interested in working there- not just because of the family connection. They have a great reputation and are known for the kind of work I'm interested in pursuing. The firm isn't seeking cover letters on simplicity- just resume and transcript.

Obviously, I'm aware that ITE I should work every connection I have. But I still have stupid questions:

-Is the connection really worth anything?

-Should the connection be addressed?

-What's the best (least obnoxious) way to point out the connection?

johndhi

Re: Connection to firm via client...

Postby johndhi » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
-Is the connection really worth anything?

-Should the connection be addressed?

-What's the best (least obnoxious) way to point out the connection?

1. IMO, yes, definitely. Definitely.
[edit: thought I'd explain this sentiment. Law firms are businesses; they THRIVE on relationships like the one you describe between your dad and them. This is especially true in the midwest. Here are some words that will convince you: reputation, integrity, committment, loyalty, service, partnership. Anecdote that will do same: OMM in my city recently hired a guy whose job is to place junior associates looking to transfer at in-house counsel positions. Idea being that those in-house advocates will bring business back to OMM. Rather than burn bridges when associates want to leave, make money out of it. Rather than piss your Dad's company off, it is in this firm's interest to hire you and strengthen that relationship, in addition to getting a kickass associate. When selling their firm to the next guy, don't you think they'd love to explain they are so close with their clients that three generations of your family have worked with them?]

2. Yes, definitely.

3. This is my first stab at this sort of thread, so you may read others like it or wait for othe reponses. I'd start with talking to your Dad about it and expressing what you expressed here - you have been impressed by the firm's work through your connection, you have heard great things about them, they are strong in the practice group you are interested in, and you would loev the opportunity to interview. It would be great if he could relay this to his contacts at the firm; I doubt a head partner would have a problem communicating this to his hiring staff. If that entire idea fails, you can communicate the fact (on your own or through your Dad) that you'd be interested in speaking with someone at the firm in an informational capacity, considering they are interviewing on your campus and you've listed them at the top of your schedule; you just want to do the best you can to express your enthusiasm and to prepare for an interview or the prospect thereof. During said informational interview, just perform a normal informational interview - talk about the practice group you like, appear knowledgeable, and pick up some anecdotes for the screening interview you hope for. Mention the OCI process, the names of the people who will be there (can you find it out?) and your anticipation. My browser is getting weird so I'm cutting it off here. Good luck.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:46 pm

I would have your dad broker an informational interview ASAP. If the partner is going to exert some influence, he'll tell you--so don't ask or even imply. If he doesn't bring it up, find out what you can about the firm, what it's like to be a lawyer, what he looks for in candidates, any general advice for you, etc. Then, come OCI, you have good things to talk about to show your interest in the firm, and the advice will help you with other firms as well.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:15 pm

Renzo wrote:I would have your dad broker an informational interview ASAP. If the partner is going to exert some influence, he'll tell you--so don't ask or even imply. If he doesn't bring it up, find out what you can about the firm, what it's like to be a lawyer, what he looks for in candidates, any general advice for you, etc. Then, come OCI, you have good things to talk about to show your interest in the firm, and the advice will help you with other firms as well.

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:07 pm

OP here-

Informational interview sounds like a good way to go. Thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment”