asking contact for oci slot - acceptable or no?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

asking contact for oci slot - acceptable or no?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:29 pm

I met a partner at my dream firm through a cle that he chaired and I attended. I then followed up for an informational interview. The interview went really well and he even told me that I have good interview skills. This was last school year and now his firm is coming to my school for 3L oci. I would have liked to name drop on my cover letter but the firm is not accepting anything but resume and transcript. My grades are outside of what they usually require (I got this standard from 2L oci, no grade req was given for 3L oci), so my concern is that I am an auto-reject without some help.

So, is it ok to send the partner an email asking that he put in a good word for me so I can get a slot? Thanks for any help.

Aston2412

Re: asking contact for oci slot - acceptable or no?

Postby Aston2412 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:43 pm

Maybe send him an informal e-mail mentioning that you're applying to OCI and asking for his advice on what you can do to prepare, in the event you get an interview.

He might offer to put in a word for you that way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:07 pm

Op here. Thanks for response. I was thinking that I could also ask what department the firm was looking to hire for. This way I look interested but without coming across as using him for a job (which I am, and I'm sure he knows).

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:16 pm

I was in a similar situation. I emailed to let them know how interested I was in the firm, and how I thought it was a good fit. Apparently my contacts liked me enough to make sure that I got an interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was in a similar situation. I emailed to let them know how interested I was in the firm, and how I thought it was a good fit. Apparently my contacts liked me enough to make sure that I got an interview.

If you don't mind me asking, was your class rank, journals, etc. in the ballpark of what that firm usually takes? My concern is that since I'm outside of their usual numbers, I'm screwed without a little help.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:11 pm

If you don't mind me asking, was your class rank, journals, etc. in the ballpark of what that firm usually takes? My concern is that since I'm outside of their usual numbers, I'm screwed without a little help.

Journals weren't out at the time. I was on the lower end of their grade scale, but you could say that it was within the park.
A possible solution, depending on how your OCI works, would be to wait and see if you get an interview slot through the normal system. If you do, that's great. If not, you could then get in touch with your contact, iterating how much you like the firm and how dismayed you were to be missing out on the opportunity to interview with them. I actually did this with a particular firm, and they assured me that if I didn't pick up an alternate slot, they would make time to meet with me during a break or lunch.
It all comes down to whether your contact is willing to bat for you. You may need to to speak to whomever is doing the actual hiring to make sure that you get your chance.

Return to “Legal Employment”