embarassment, grades, and job fairs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

embarassment, grades, and job fairs

Postby anonymcoffee » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:02 pm

So, I have below median grades but I am trying to network a lot and trying to get out there and meet a lot of people and just get a chance to talk to employers at job fairs. I am signed up for some minority fairs - and prior to getting this semester's grades (median first semester, below median after second semester) I was preselected for 2 interviews. The fair is coming up in August, and my grades got worse since the interview set up.

Generally, how do you deal with being embarrassed or how do you have a good interview while thinking in the back of your head that they know your below median grades? Or when networking and contacts ask you for your resume and transcript?

I am mortified to go to the vault minority fair - and walk up and hit it off...and then they ask me for my grades. How can I "sell myself" but know that my grades are so bad?

Re: embarassment, grades, and job fairs

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:06 pm

Postby blahblewblah » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:18 pm

Guerilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of Your Dreams.

Postby Aston2412 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:30 pm

I think the general rule is you don't bring up your grades unless you are asked about them specifically. If they don't ask you, they'll see it on your resume. Your goal is to so thoroughly wow them while talking to them that they have already decided to give you an interview before they see your grades or, at the very least, that something else on your resume can persuade them to look past your grades and give you an interview.

Postby mths » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:33 pm

blahblewblah wrote:Guerilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of Your Dreams.

this is tcr

Return to “Legal Employment”