LOR and Clerkships

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

LOR and Clerkships

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:02 am

I sent out a few emails a couple of days ago to recommenders who I had planned on writing letters of recommendation for me for clerkships. I haven't heard anything back from them and I am wondering if they are just not interested in writing the letters (I gave them an "out" in the email in case they did not want to write the letters).

One recommender is my 1L LRW professor from the school I transferred from and the other recommender is a partner at the firm I worked for last Spring who supervised my work. I already have a professor at my current school who is writing an LOR for me but I feel like if these two recommenders do not write an LOR for me, I will be stuck and will have to contact professors I don't know as well.

Should I follow up next week with the recommenders who I sent emails to or should I just assume they do not want to write the letters and move on to less-stronger recommenders?

Re: LOR and Clerkships

Postby Moxie » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:22 am

Follow up with them, preferably by phone or in-person.

Postby warumnicht » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:22 am

Definitely follow up. Politely, of course. It's the summer. They -- especially the professor -- may be on vacation.

Most people would respond to the email either way instead of letting you assume that no response means no letter of recommendation.

When I contacted my professors, one of them didn't respond for a few days. I was freaking, thinking that I didn't have anyone else I could go to. But when he did respond a few days later, he included the text of the recommendation letter. Worth the wait!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:32 am

Yeah I was thinking a follow-up via phone would be best. I don't want to be a pest so I will just wait until next week.

The first professor I emailed got back to me within a few hours agreeing to write the letter so I guess I am comparing the other recommenders to him :lol:

Return to “Legal Employment”