biglaw OCI masterman taking any and all questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
OCImasterman

biglaw OCI masterman taking any and all questions

Postby OCImasterman » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:53 am

Did OCI last year as a transfer to CCN. Prepared intensely for OCI, did 30+ interviews, got 10 callbacks, and received multiple offers in my target city. OCI was very stressful, and TLS helped me prepare for it well. I'd like to give back by answering any and all questions that you rising 2Ls might have about the OCI process - bid lists, firms, interview prep, etc.

JCougar

Re: biglaw OCI masterman taking any and all questions

Postby JCougar » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:02 am

Good morning, Mr. Masterman. Thank you for taking questions.

For your first question, I'd like to ask: How do you keep your body weighted down to your seat in the interview when such a large ego is pulling you up high into the sky...like a hot air baloon equipped to traverse the Pacific Ocean and fly to Australia?

Do you fill your pockets with loose change? Lead-bottomed shoes?

:wink:

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:07 am

What was your target city, and did you receive offers in any other secondary markets? By secondary, I mean not your first choice market, not necessarily what would qualify as a secondary market in terms of size.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:09 am

I will also be a CCN transfer so I appeciate the feedback:

-What range school did you transfer from? How did you address it during interviews? How did most employers view a transfer?

-How did you make your bidlist? The new school provides GPA cutoffs and recommendations, but I don't know how those translate to transfers. For example, if a transfer was top 10% at his old school, does that mean he should bid as if he is top 25% at the new school?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:09 am

1. How did you prepare to do 10+ interviews in a day and keep firms straight, etc?

2. What was your answer to "why do you want biglaw?"

3. What markets were you targeting? Did you tell your interviewers that or did you tell them you were only targeting their market?

smokyroom26

Postby smokyroom26 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:09 am

JCougar wrote:Good morning, Mr. Masterman. Thank you for taking questions.

For your first question, I'd like to ask: How do you keep your body weighted down to your seat in the interview when such a large ego is pulling you up high into the sky...like a hot air baloon equipped to traverse the Pacific Ocean and fly to Australia?

Do you fill your pockets with loose change? Lead-bottomed shoes?

:wink:

:lol:

warumnicht

Postby warumnicht » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:26 am

How did you respond to "Why this firm"? How did you find something that distinguished it from others? Even with all the resources out there, biglaw firms still tend to look fairly similar from the outside...

Also, what questions did you ask that interviewers particularly liked?

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:07 am

OCImasterman wrote:Prepared intensely for OCI ... TLS helped me prepare for it well.

Any particular things on TLS that helped you prepare? And what did you specifically do to prepare? Any resources that were useful?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:18 am

OCImasterman wrote:Did OCI last year as a transfer to CCN. Prepared intensely for OCI, did 30+ interviews, got 10 callbacks, and received multiple offers in my target city. OCI was very stressful, and TLS helped me prepare for it well. I'd like to give back by answering any and all questions that you rising 2Ls might have about the OCI process - bid lists, firms, interview prep, etc.

Unauthorized alting is prohibited, especially when you're using a forum that has an anon feature. You're welcome to come back and post anon, but do it with your real account.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:03 am

I would argue alting is more practical in this forum when you're the OP, seeing as anyone could reply to the thread as an anon and be indistinguishable from the anon-OP. So long as the alt isn't abused, I don't see the harm in that instance.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:05 am

oneforship wrote:I would argue alting is more practical in this forum when you're the OP, seeing as anyone could reply to the thread as an anon and be indistinguishable from the anon-OP. So long as the alt isn't abused, I don't see the harm in that instance.

If you want to argue about the current alting policy or any other mod policy, you're welcome to do so here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=146657

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:25 am

vanwinkle wrote:oneforship wrote:
I would argue alting is more practical in this forum when you're the OP, seeing as anyone could reply to the thread as an anon and be indistinguishable from the anon-OP. So long as the alt isn't abused, I don't see the harm in that instance.

If you want to argue about the current alting policy or any other mod policy, you're welcome to do so here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=146657

LOL! Only on TLS would a person begging to give highly valuable information to people greatly in need of that information (10 responds overnight) be BANNED for absolutely no reason. What a silly and retarded rule. Congrats Mr. powerful moderator on making TLS a less helpful and informative place, because that's really all you've accomplished with this ban.

alumniguy

Postby alumniguy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:58 am

blurbz wrote:1. How did you prepare to do 10+ interviews in a day and keep firms straight, etc?

2. What was your answer to "why do you want biglaw?"

3. What markets were you targeting? Did you tell your interviewers that or did you tell them you were only targeting their market?

1. Be organized. Once you get your bid list start researching and keep a folder for each firm with printouts of general information. Write down/highlight recent "news" (most if not all firms will have recent matters highlighted on their website) and the practice areas you are interested in for that firm. Review intensely the night before and review immediately before the interview. The goal is to show you did some research on the firm, are interested in the firm and would ideally like to work at the firm.

2. That question isn't often asked. If it is asked, come up with a stock answer that includes: (i) your interest in working on complicated business matters and (ii) the superior training/mentoring that biglaw offers. A more likely question is what type of law are you interested in or why this city (if not NYC). For this answer, no need to settle on one practice area, but you should be genuine in the answer. Maybe your favorite class was the writing class and you find that you are leaning towards litigation or you really like contracts and want to develop your drafting skills and thus, would like transactional. Biglaw firms don't expect, nor do they really want, summers to be tied to one practice area. The goal for most firms is to fill the class with the right number of summers and then divide those summers into the various practice groups accordingly to the firm's business projections once they actually start.

warumnicht wrote:How did you respond to "Why this firm"? How did you find something that distinguished it from others? Even with all the resources out there, biglaw firms still tend to look fairly similar from the outside...

Also, what questions did you ask that interviewers particularly liked?

Read the firm's main website and figure out what it is about. Often on the "career" page the firm will highlight what its core values and/or culture are like. For example, Cravath is about being the best of the best and they have a particularly "hire from within" approach. In addition to being interested in the general practice, you should mention that Cravath's system of focusing on organic internal promotion makes them attractive because this necessarily implies that they believe in training/mentoring their young associates.

Answers like this that are somewhat bluff, but also underpinned with understanding the firm (by doing your research) are the best answers for why this firm.

Another example would be to highlight a particular practice area - i.e., bankruptcy at weil, skadden or milbank.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:15 pm

Can you please shed some light on bidding strategy?

I am a t-14 transfer from a t-25, top 10%, LR, very strong ties to the market I am both moving to for school and bidding on. Good w/e. I feel like I am loading all the top firms in my top 10 which could be a bad idea but I tend to be aggressive about these sorts of things. My school is a pure lottery.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

LOL! Only on TLS would a person begging to give highly valuable information to people greatly in need of that information (10 responds overnight) be BANNED for absolutely no reason. What a silly and retarded rule. Congrats Mr. powerful moderator on making TLS a less helpful and informative place, because that's really all you've accomplished with this ban.

Tempbanned for violating anon policy. No use of anon to attack other users, it's in the sticky: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=130748

Normally the policy is also to out the poster, but since it's the OP's main account, I won't. Obviously they're able to come back and post anonymously without having an alt, though. When they get back from their tempban, if they wish to actually help people rather than write anonymous attacks, they're welcome to do so.

alumniguy

Postby alumniguy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:40 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Tempbanned for violating anon policy. No use of anon to attack other users, it's in the sticky: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=130748

Normally the policy is also to out the poster, but since it's the OP's main account, I won't. Obviously they're able to come back and post anonymously without having an alt, though. When they get back from their tempban, if they wish to actually help people rather than write anonymous attacks, they're welcome to do so.

I agree. I think this whole moderator thing is a bit overused (and certainly not all that consistent). I understand that there is a need to keep the board civil, but there is little to no harm in creating an alternative screen name for this purpose used in this thread.

Further, the moderators themselves are not altogether the most civil posters on this board. The "attack" by the anonymous poster here was far less of an attack than I've witnessed on here. It appears like the moderator in this case is power hungry. I think a better policy would be to have the moderator reach out to a poster who has violated a "rule" of the board privately to inform the poster of the violation rather that submit to "public" shaming on an internet posting board for law school students.

Just my two cents.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:47 pm

This thread locked because people can't follow rules.

Return to “Legal Employment”