Crim law interest in clerkship materials?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Crim law interest in clerkship materials?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:34 pm

I want to be an AUSA, plain and simple. Mistake to talk about interest in crim law in cover letter/letters of rec? I figure all judges hear crim cases...would i be putting anyone off?

JusticeJackson

Re: Crim law interest in clerkship materials?

Postby JusticeJackson » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:14 am

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smokyroom26

Postby smokyroom26 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:40 am

JusticeJackson wrote:A lot of district court judges don't have their clerks work on criminal cases. If you're applying to one of those guys, don't talk up how much you want to work on criminal cases.

Really? I interned for a judge this summer, and his clerks did crim stuff all the time. One of those clerks was angling for AUSA, too.

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:43 am

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:18 pm

Bump for late crowd.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I want to be an AUSA, plain and simple. Mistake to talk about interest in crim law in cover letter/letters of rec? I figure all judges hear crim cases...would i be putting anyone off?

Nope. Some judges have large crim law dockets, though, and some were AUSAs before becoming judges. Talking about your interest in crim law/becoming a AUSA in the cover letters/letters or rec would be a good thing for those judges.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:52 pm

Wow, seriously? Some don't hear crim cases at all? Shit.

My recommender put that I want crim law in my rec letter. Will this sink me for judges with little/no crim docket? FUCK. Should I confront her?

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Wow, seriously? Some don't hear crim cases at all? Shit.

My recommender put that I want crim law in my rec letter. Will this sink me for judges with little/no crim docket? FUCK. Should I confront her?

Working for a judge that has no crim docket won't really be as useful anyways, if you want to work for the USAO/DoJ. You should be targeting judges that have a large crim docket, and especially judges who were AUSAs before they became judges.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:16 am

I wouldn't mention it in the cover letter for a variety of reasons. I think clerkship cover letters should be short and to the point. It's better to bring up at an interview or even have your recommenders add it.

That said, virtually any federal judge's docket is going to be more civil than criminal. In large cities, it can be as much as 80/20 civil/crim just because there are so many business disputes and other things on the civil docket. So know going in that most judges are not going to have that much criminal work. This might be different for COAs that get more appeals in criminal cases. If you look at a COA argument calendar you'll probably see closer to 60/40 civil to crim.

Also, the judges that have great crim reputations are often former AUSAs, USAs, or others who have spent 20+ years in federal criminal law. They often do just prefer to keep the criminal work for themselves. For example, at a suppression hearing they're probably able to give a 10 minute long oral ruling just because they know the law so well, whereas it would take a clerk 2 to 3 weeks to research, write and revise a written decision. So often, they'll just do it themselves and have the clerks work on civil things that do require lengthy research and writing. That said, many great judges will go above and beyond to give clerks interested in criminal law a chance to do more criminal work. So just keep that in mind at the interview. It's great to be honest and upfront about what your interests are, but be prepared for the judge to say "that's great. I'm a big fan of criminal law too, but I want to make sure you're not going to be miserable here doing a considerable amount of civil work." So be prepared for that and I think you'll be fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:23 pm

Thanks, bro-berry. Wise advice.

Return to “Legal Employment”