when start tapping into connections im bottom quarter at T30

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

when start tapping into connections im bottom quarter at T30

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:58 pm

Im currently bottom quarter at a T30 school...rising 2L here

my main question is when should i start tapping into my connections? I know a few people at google, latham, sidley, small firms, gov agencies...everything...my grades suck so I know a lot of opportunities are shut out for me...would it make me look stupid if i asked a partner at sidley for help..given my grades? He said he can set me up for an interview...but would it be pointless and make me look stupid? In that case I'll ask him if he knows anyone in small firms/gov stuff...but is it too early to send them an email for 2L summer?

regardless...its still summer and i was wondering if its too early to send emails out to try and see if someone can land me a position for my 2L summer...with my grades should I be shooting for small firms and state government stuff?

robotclubmember

Re: when start tapping into connections im bottom quarter at T30

Postby robotclubmember » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:53 pm

it's never too early. i'm trying to finesse people now and i haven't started school yet. i don't think you should flat out ask for a job or interview but start by letting them know you are looking and asking them if they have have any advice on getting 2L jobs. go have lunch with them and if you really want the interview ask for it in person, not through an e-mail. if you're connections are good you should be able to get lunch on just about any premise.

blahblewblah

Postby blahblewblah » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:16 am

You are doing it wrong. It's not about someone "landing you a position." It is about cultivating as many contacts as possible so that one of them might eventually have an opportunity. If you tapped into your contacts yesterday it would be too late. I am sorry, but email you contacts, send a resume, and ask them for 4 other people they know who you could email. If you start out with 4 contacts and do that once you have 16 people, and do it again you have 64, etc. No one person will for sure get you a job, but tap into the connects immediately.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:26 am

blahblewblah wrote:You are doing it wrong. It's not about someone "landing you a position." It is about cultivating as many contacts as possible so that one of them might eventually have an opportunity. If you tapped into your contacts yesterday it would be too late. I am sorry, but email you contacts, send a resume, and ask them for 4 other people they know who you could email. If you start out with 4 contacts and do that once you have 16 people, and do it again you have 64, etc. No one person will for sure get you a job, but tap into the connects immediately.

I understand the sentiment here, but it's not just about quantity. In addition to asking if these people know others that might be open to helping, he needs to ask them for advice and guidance. He needs to talk to them about his goals and about how they got to where they are. He needs to build relationships with each of these people--A network of four people he knows really well and who know him really well will serve OP much better than will a network of 64 people he has barely spoken with.

OP: Right now you don't have the time to concentrate on building a massive network. Instead, milk the relationships you have for all they're worth.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:07 pm

OP here...so i should start sending emails out immediately?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here...so i should start sending emails out immediately?

At this point, you need to IMMEDIATELY start tapping connections, asses, kegs, whatever will get you a job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:48 pm

when to start tapping into connections: day 1.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:56 pm

ok well I just dont them to be like:

this guy is hitting me up so early....I can't do much because small firms hire later like october/november..etc. And isn't it weird asking a current attorney i work with to help me find a 2L summer job when I'm working for him right now during this summer(and my job ends in a few weeks).

All I really want them to do is forward my resume to people they know...not set me up for an interview themselves...I guess I should phrase my emails so its like I'm asking for help/advice instead of asking them to get me interviews/jobs.

theturkeyisfat

Postby theturkeyisfat » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:ok well I just dont them to be like:

this guy is hitting me up so early....I can't do much because small firms hire later like october/november..etc. And isn't it weird asking a current attorney i work with to help me find a 2L summer job when I'm working for him right now during this summer(and my job ends in a few weeks).

All I really want them to do is forward my resume to people they know...not set me up for an interview themselves...I guess I should phrase my emails so its like I'm asking for help/advice instead of asking them to get me interviews/jobs.

yes, ask them for advice. not just for the sake of conversation, but also because they'll probably have some great insights. and who knows, maybe they'll be able to help you find a job.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:55 pm

OP: you are going to need every asset you have to find a SA job. You don't just want them to forward your resume - you want to find out everything you can about getting a job and each piece of advice they have to offer. This process is much tougher than just waiting for the right time to ask people to send your resume along. You should start by asking each person to have lunch, coffee, whatever and then tell them you will be looking for a 2L SA job and see how they can help you or what they suggest.

You can't not talk to people because your grades are bad so you think it is a waste of time. Every interview you get may have some valuable information. At the very least it is good to practice interviewing.

You also need to explain specifically why your grades are not a reflection of your work product. But do not make excuses for your grades.

Return to “Legal Employment”