Birmingham Law Firms - from Vandy and Duke

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273044
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Birmingham Law Firms - from Vandy and Duke

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:38 pm

Anyone have any callbacks from Birmingham firms? How long was the wait period between screening interview and callback?

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Birmingham Law Firms - from Vandy and Duke

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any callbacks from Birmingham firms? How long was the wait period between screening interview and callback?



I've had it range from in the interview room or same day to weeks. No real answer here. Depends on where they are in the process and how much they like you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273044
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Birmingham Law Firms - from Vandy and Duke

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:01 pm

Anyone know the starting salary for Burr and Forman? They are the only major Birmingham player that doesn't list their salary on nalp or on their website.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273044
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Birmingham Law Firms - from Vandy and Duke

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know the starting salary for Burr and Forman? They are the only major Birmingham player that doesn't list their salary on nalp or on their website.


I have from pretty good source start at $105k w/ lockstep increases of $3k-4k per year. Bonuses tend around $3k as well.
From what I understand, pretty much all the big firms are virtually identical to this in Birmingham.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273044
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Birmingham Law Firms - from Vandy and Duke

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:58 pm

Anyone have a callback from Lightfoot Franklin?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273044
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Birmingham Law Firms - from Vandy and Duke

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:10 pm

Anyone receive any Bham offers yet?

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Birmingham Law Firms - from Vandy and Duke

Postby sunynp » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:38 pm

Does anyone think that the bankruptcy filing of Jefferson County, where Birmingham is located, will affect business or hiring? It is pretty impressive (not in a good way) that the county managed to get in extreme debt due to the crimes of the leadership by undertaking massive debt that now the county can't pay. It makes me wonder how things are going in Birmingham.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273044
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Birmingham Law Firms - from Vandy and Duke

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:33 pm

sunynp wrote:Does anyone think that the bankruptcy filing of Jefferson County, where Birmingham is located, will affect business or hiring? It is pretty impressive (not in a good way) that the county managed to get in extreme debt due to the crimes of the leadership by undertaking massive debt that now the county can't pay. It makes me wonder how things are going in Birmingham.



It is a pretty remarkable situation, and I've been wondering about this myself. I guess the USAO and DA's offices have lots of work!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273044
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Birmingham Law Firms - from Vandy and Duke

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:46 pm

Can anyone provide information about the offer rates to 2L SAs at Bradley, Burr, Maynard or Balch?

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Birmingham Law Firms - from Vandy and Duke

Postby duckmoney » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:48 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:The low offer rates of southern firms is the norm. While the large Atlanta firms generally do a better job, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, etc. firms seem to frequently have offer rates of about 1/2 (half of the summer associates receive offers) or sometimes less. However, they all allow people to split their summers.

Side note 1 - the Birmingham Metro has about 1,150,000 people

Side note 2 - Large Birmingham firms list by number of attorneys in Birmingham (ranked in 2009)
Bradley Arant 190
Burr & Forman 145
Maynard Cooper 157
Balch & Bingham 153
Sirote & Permutt 92
Baker Donelson 72
Haskell Slaughter 70
Starnes Davis & Florie 59
Lightfoot Franklin 56
Johnston Barton 55
Carr Allison 53


Any idea what these firms pay to start? Some are opaque. Help me out if you have more info.

Bradley Arant 110k
Burr & Forman ??
Maynard Cooper 110k
Balch & Bingham ??
Sirote & Permutt ??
Baker Donelson ??
Haskell Slaughter 85k
Starnes Davis & Florie ??
Lightfoot Franklin 110k
Johnston Barton ??
Carr Allison ??
Cabaniss Johnston 100k
Johnston Barton 90k

Anonymous User
Posts: 273044
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Birmingham Law Firms - from Vandy and Duke

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:45 pm

duckmoney wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:The low offer rates of southern firms is the norm. While the large Atlanta firms generally do a better job, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, etc. firms seem to frequently have offer rates of about 1/2 (half of the summer associates receive offers) or sometimes less. However, they all allow people to split their summers.

Side note 1 - the Birmingham Metro has about 1,150,000 people

Side note 2 - Large Birmingham firms list by number of attorneys in Birmingham (ranked in 2009)
Bradley Arant 190
Burr & Forman 145
Maynard Cooper 157
Balch & Bingham 153
Sirote & Permutt 92
Baker Donelson 72
Haskell Slaughter 70
Starnes Davis & Florie 59
Lightfoot Franklin 56
Johnston Barton 55
Carr Allison 53


Any idea what these firms pay to start? Some are opaque. Help me out if you have more info.

Bradley Arant 110k
Burr & Forman ??
Maynard Cooper 110k
Balch & Bingham ??
Sirote & Permutt ??
Baker Donelson ??
Haskell Slaughter 85k
Starnes Davis & Florie ??
Lightfoot Franklin 110k
Johnston Barton ??
Carr Allison ??
Cabaniss Johnston 100k
Johnston Barton 90k


Burr and Balch both start at 110k. The ranking of firms in pay/prestige/etc in Bham goes: Bradley Arant>>>Maynard/Balch/>Burr>>>>>>>>>everyone else. Also, Lightfoot is considered one of the best firms in town and pays competitive salary, but they are a lit boutique so I did not include them on my list.

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Birmingham Law Firms - from Vandy and Duke

Postby duckmoney » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Burr and Balch both start at 110k. The ranking of firms in pay/prestige/etc in Bham goes: Bradley Arant>>>Maynard/Balch/>Burr>>>>>>>>>everyone else. Also, Lightfoot is considered one of the best firms in town and pays competitive salary, but they are a lit boutique so I did not include them on my list.


Any clue what Sirote pays?

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Birmingham Law Firms - from Vandy and Duke

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:46 pm

Bradley = 120k

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: Birmingham Law Firms - from Vandy and Duke

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:32 am

Aqualibrium wrote:Bradley = 120k


Unless that has changed in the last 3 months, you are incorrect.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Birmingham Law Firms - from Vandy and Duke

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:08 am

jawsthegreat wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:Bradley = 120k


Unless that has changed in the last 3 months, you are incorrect.


Perhaps my two classmates who will be working there next year told me the same lie. It is certainly possible.

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: Birmingham Law Firms - from Vandy and Duke

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:11 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:Bradley = 120k


Unless that has changed in the last 3 months, you are incorrect.


Perhaps my two classmates who will be working there next year told me the same lie. It is certainly possible.


Well all I can say is that as of this summer it was 110K. Certainly possible they bumped pre recruiting though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273044
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Birmingham Law Firms - from Vandy and Duke

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:45 am

jawsthegreat wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:Bradley = 120k


Unless that has changed in the last 3 months, you are incorrect.


Perhaps my two classmates who will be working there next year told me the same lie. It is certainly possible.


Well all I can say is that as of this summer it was 110K. Certainly possible they bumped pre recruiting though.


I heard 120k from a classmate too, but he's considering it post clerkship so I figured that's what accounted for the difference. Didn't inquire that much into it though.

1234567890
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Birmingham Law Firms - from Vandy and Duke

Postby 1234567890 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:34 pm

This has got to be one of the dumbest conversations I've ever read regarding legal jobs. Instead of sitting here asking questions to people you don't even know, maybe you all should do some real research and talk to people who would really know the answers, like, oh I don't know, people who have experience with Birmingham firms? That is not to say that some of you have not done this. But really, getting advice about your potential future career with faceless people on the internet? Come on. How embarrassing would it be if you revealed your "exclusive" info from TLS to someone with pull working in a big Birmingham firm and you got it all wrong because you believed something with no credible source on the internet?

But what is really revolting is that some people on here are asking what the rank of the firms is--what the heck? It doesn't make sense that you all are carrying on about the economy and Birmingham's bankruptcy status, yet are asking people (who largely don't have a clue) to rank the firms--as if you have been offered a job at all of them and have the luxury of choosing, in which case it would make more sense to talk to the people at the firm and then weigh your options. Seriously, if you have to ask someone to rank the firms then clearly you don't know much about the area or about the real world...

And if you don't know what a "Birmingham" connection is, then maybe that is a sign you are looking in the wrong area. And if you are baffled as to why the firms get so many SAs yet ultimately take on few--put the puzzle pieces together future "lawyers"...by getting more SAs they will have more people from which to choose. Duh.

Here's an idea: why don't you all just apply to the summer associate jobs that look interesting and just see what happens instead of asking pointless questions that will get you nowhere? Instead of asking how well you have to do to get somewhere, just do your best and see what happens. The Birmingham firm websites list what they expect when they look for SAs. Read it and get a clue. Stop worrying about your (currently nonexistent) "legal reputation."

--From a Birmingham native (who is NOT a disgruntled law student) trying to help some folks out (bless y'alls' hearts).....and only 100-200 positions in Atlanta? Puh-leeze. Once again....a useless piece of info for someone who really really wants an SA position. Regardless of how many positions are available, you will only have the opportunity to get a position if you try your best and apply. How is knowing the availability of the positions relevant if you try your very best??

PM61
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:00 pm

Re: Birmingham Law Firms - from Vandy and Duke

Postby PM61 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:46 pm

1234567890 wrote:This has got to be one of the dumbest conversations I've ever read regarding legal jobs. Instead of sitting here asking questions to people you don't even know, maybe you all should do some real research and talk to people who would really know the answers, like, oh I don't know, people who have experience with Birmingham firms? That is not to say that some of you have not done this. But really, getting advice about your potential future career with faceless people on the internet? Come on. How embarrassing would it be if you revealed your "exclusive" info from TLS to someone with pull working in a big Birmingham firm and you got it all wrong because you believed something with no credible source on the internet?

But what is really revolting is that some people on here are asking what the rank of the firms is--what the heck? It doesn't make sense that you all are carrying on about the economy and Birmingham's bankruptcy status, yet are asking people (who largely don't have a clue) to rank the firms--as if you have been offered a job at all of them and have the luxury of choosing, in which case it would make more sense to talk to the people at the firm and then weigh your options. Seriously, if you have to ask someone to rank the firms then clearly you don't know much about the area or about the real world...

And if you don't know what a "Birmingham" connection is, then maybe that is a sign you are looking in the wrong area. And if you are baffled as to why the firms get so many SAs yet ultimately take on few--put the puzzle pieces together future "lawyers"...by getting more SAs they will have more people from which to choose. Duh.

Here's an idea: why don't you all just apply to the summer associate jobs that look interesting and just see what happens instead of asking pointless questions that will get you nowhere? Instead of asking how well you have to do to get somewhere, just do your best and see what happens. The Birmingham firm websites list what they expect when they look for SAs. Read it and get a clue. Stop worrying about your (currently nonexistent) "legal reputation."

--From a Birmingham native (who is NOT a disgruntled law student) trying to help some folks out (bless y'alls' hearts).....and only 100-200 positions in Atlanta? Puh-leeze. Once again....a useless piece of info for someone who really really wants an SA position. Regardless of how many positions are available, you will only have the opportunity to get a position if you try your best and apply. How is knowing the availability of the positions relevant if you try your very best??


yikes

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Birmingham Law Firms - from Vandy and Duke

Postby sunynp » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:11 pm

1234567890 wrote:This has got to be one of the dumbest conversations I've ever read regarding legal jobs. Instead of sitting here asking questions to people you don't even know, maybe you all should do some real research and talk to people who would really know the answers, like, oh I don't know, people who have experience with Birmingham firms? That is not to say that some of you have not done this. But really, getting advice about your potential future career with faceless people on the internet? Come on. How embarrassing would it be if you revealed your "exclusive" info from TLS to someone with pull working in a big Birmingham firm and you got it all wrong because you believed something with no credible source on the internet?

But what is really revolting is that some people on here are asking what the rank of the firms is--what the heck? It doesn't make sense that you all are carrying on about the economy and Birmingham's bankruptcy status, yet are asking people (who largely don't have a clue) to rank the firms--as if you have been offered a job at all of them and have the luxury of choosing, in which case it would make more sense to talk to the people at the firm and then weigh your options. Seriously, if you have to ask someone to rank the firms then clearly you don't know much about the area or about the real world...

And if you don't know what a "Birmingham" connection is, then maybe that is a sign you are looking in the wrong area. And if you are baffled as to why the firms get so many SAs yet ultimately take on few--put the puzzle pieces together future "lawyers"...by getting more SAs they will have more people from which to choose. Duh.

Here's an idea: why don't you all just apply to the summer associate jobs that look interesting and just see what happens instead of asking pointless questions that will get you nowhere? Instead of asking how well you have to do to get somewhere, just do your best and see what happens. The Birmingham firm websites list what they expect when they look for SAs. Read it and get a clue. Stop worrying about your (currently nonexistent) "legal reputation."

--From a Birmingham native (who is NOT a disgruntled law student) trying to help some folks out (bless y'alls' hearts).....and only 100-200 positions in Atlanta? Puh-leeze. Once again....a useless piece of info for someone who really really wants an SA position. Regardless of how many positions are available, you will only have the opportunity to get a position if you try your best and apply. How is knowing the availability of the positions relevant if you try your very best??


So far these faceless people on the internet have given solid advice to just about everyone, including me. They are a great source of knowledge. Someone here even PMed me to give me some advice and assistance. I would not underestimate the information or the knowledge of the posters on this forum.

I am in New York and I find the whole Alabama hiring system very different to the system here. I have personal reasons for possibly moving to Alabama, but I know nothing about the firms there. Sorry if that offends you.

To the other people in this thread, if I get more information I will gladly post it.

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Birmingham Law Firms - from Vandy and Duke

Postby duckmoney » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:31 pm

sunynp wrote:So far these faceless people on the internet have given solid advice to just about everyone, including me. They are a great source of knowledge. Someone here even PMed me to give me some advice and assistance. I would not underestimate the information or the knowledge of the posters on this forum.

I am in New York and I find the whole Alabama hiring system very different to the system here. I have personal reasons for possibly moving to Alabama, but I know nothing about the firms there. Sorry if that offends you.

To the other people in this thread, if I get more information I will gladly post it.


I completely agree, but let's not feed the troll. His comments warrant no response.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273044
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Birmingham Law Firms - from Vandy and Duke

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:14 pm

Thread necromancy.

The Birmingham market is of interest to me. I was planning on doing ATL, but the market is a bloodbath and I've heard that B'ham biglaw requires less billables per year. Also heard that you get paid less as an associate, but the partnership track is 7 years = partner. Finally, I've been told by younger attorneys working in other southeastern states that the good birmingham firms "punch above their weight," so to speak, in terms of the state they're in.

Anyone got anything to add about the market? Anyone summered at any of the big firms?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273044
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Birmingham Law Firms - from Vandy and Duke

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:55 am

In B'ham ties to the area > than grades. If you cannot articulate why you want to be in Birmingham you will not get a postion with the bigger firms. You need to either be from Alabama, be married to someone from Alabama, or have lived and worked in Alabama for a reasonable period of time before law school.

The large firms have plenty of people applying to them. They will not automatically hire someone at a t14 just because they have good grades. They will want to know why someone from a t14 with good grades wants to be in B'ham. It has nothing to do with whether or not that person could get a job in ATL, NY, or DC.

Most of the partners at the big AL firms went to Alabama or Cumberland. If you come accross as thinking that you are an auto hire because you went to a t14 or Vandy you will get dinged.

Anonymous because I am in Alabama, went to Alabama, and work in Alabama.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273044
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Birmingham Law Firms - from Vandy and Duke

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In B'ham ties to the area > than grades. If you cannot articulate why you want to be in Birmingham you will not get a postion with the bigger firms. You need to either be from Alabama, be married to someone from Alabama, or have lived and worked in Alabama for a reasonable period of time before law school.

The large firms have plenty of people applying to them. They will not automatically hire someone at a t14 just because they have good grades. They will want to know why someone from a t14 with good grades wants to be in B'ham. It has nothing to do with whether or not that person could get a job in ATL, NY, or DC.

Most of the partners at the big AL firms went to Alabama or Cumberland. If you come accross as thinking that you are an auto hire because you went to a t14 or Vandy you will get dinged.

Anonymous because I am in Alabama, went to Alabama, and work in Alabama.


I have ties to the state but haven't lived in B'ham. Mind talking about what it's like living there as a young professional? Is the social scene pretty vibrant or are most people your age married?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273044
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Birmingham Law Firms - from Vandy and Duke

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In B'ham ties to the area > than grades. If you cannot articulate why you want to be in Birmingham you will not get a postion with the bigger firms. You need to either be from Alabama, be married to someone from Alabama, or have lived and worked in Alabama for a reasonable period of time before law school.

The large firms have plenty of people applying to them. They will not automatically hire someone at a t14 just because they have good grades. They will want to know why someone from a t14 with good grades wants to be in B'ham. It has nothing to do with whether or not that person could get a job in ATL, NY, or DC.

Most of the partners at the big AL firms went to Alabama or Cumberland. If you come accross as thinking that you are an auto hire because you went to a t14 or Vandy you will get dinged.

Anonymous because I am in Alabama, went to Alabama, and work in Alabama.


I have ties to the state but haven't lived in B'ham. Mind talking about what it's like living there as a young professional? Is the social scene pretty vibrant or are most people your age married?


Most young professionals in Birmingham are married, engaged, or in long term relationships.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.