Birmingham Law Firms - from Vandy and Duke

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Real Madrid

Re: Birmingham Law Firms - from Vandy and Duke

Postby Real Madrid » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:15 am

Hmm, this is all very interesting. Is UVA seriously viewed much more favorably by B'ham firms than CCN or Duke? Seems like CCN would be at least equal given their slightly higher prestige, but I guess I can see the distance being a factor. Also, I'd think Duke and UVA would be more or less seen as equals, especially since Duke is closer and they're generally regarded as peer schools. A cursory look at Balch, Bradley Arant, and Lightfoot makes it appear as though they do OCIs at UVA, Duke and Vandy.

Also, does being from the state (e.g. Montgomery, Huntsville) and having attended Alabama (40 mins away from Birmingham) count as a "tie" to the city?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:20 am

Real Madrid wrote:Hmm, this is all very interesting. Is UVA seriously viewed much more favorably by B'ham firms than CCN or Duke? Seems like CCN would be at least equal given their slightly higher prestige, but I guess I can see the distance being a factor. Also, I'd think Duke and UVA would be more or less seen as equals, especially since Duke is closer and they're generally regarded as peer schools. A cursory look at Balch, Bradley Arant, and Lightfoot makes it appear as though they do OCIs at UVA, Duke and Vandy.

Also, does being from the state (e.g. Montgomery, Huntsville) and having attended Alabama (40 mins away from Birmingham) count as a "tie" to the city?

Yes. That is a huge tie and perfect. Also, yes the firms do actually give UVA that much of a preference.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:51 am

Yeah, it's true that Birmingham firms love UVA. There were several UVA 1L's who got SA's.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:11 am

Real Madrid wrote:Hmm, this is all very interesting. Is UVA seriously viewed much more favorably by B'ham firms than CCN or Duke? Seems like CCN would be at least equal given their slightly higher prestige, but I guess I can see the distance being a factor. Also, I'd think Duke and UVA would be more or less seen as equals, especially since Duke is closer and they're generally regarded as peer schools. A cursory look at Balch, Bradley Arant, and Lightfoot makes it appear as though they do OCIs at UVA, Duke and Vandy.

Do remember that UVA is twice the size of Duke, but they appear to take more students from UVA even accounting for that. However, I haven't heard of anyone having difficulties getting a firm job in Alabama--assuming they have ties. I know two Alabamians, and both are working at Birmingham firms this summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:30 am

quakeroats wrote:

Do remember that UVA is twice the size of Duke, but they appear to take more students from UVA even accounting for that. However, I haven't heard of anyone having difficulties getting a firm job in Alabama--assuming they have ties. I know two Alabamians, and both are working at Birmingham firms this summer.

If you have specific ties to Alabama from a top school, you're good to go. If you go to UVA and can make a plausible case for why you want to practice in Birmingham, you're good to go. That's the primary difference, IMO.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
quakeroats wrote:

If you have specific ties to Alabama from a top school, you're good to go. If you go to UVA and can make a plausible case for why you want to practice in Birmingham, you're good to go. That's the primary difference, IMO.

Perhaps you're right, but are there really students who have no ties to Alabama and want to practice in Birmingham? Population trends would tend to cut against that point.

Birmingham population over the years
1960 340,887 4.6%
1970 300,910 −11.7%
1980 284,413 −5.5%
1990 265,968 −6.5%
2000 242,840 −8.7%
2010 212,237 −12.6%

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
quakeroats wrote:

Perhaps you're right, but are there really students who have no ties to Alabama and want to practice in Birmingham? Population trends would tend to cut against that point.

1960 340,887 4.6%
1970 300,910 −11.7%
1980 284,413 −5.5%
1990 265,968 −6.5%
2000 242,840 −8.7%
2010 212,237 −12.6%

Using population trends to determine whether UVa kids without ties work in Birmingham seems absolutely retarded. Also, I am a Birmingham SA and know 4 UVA kids at my firm who are not from Alabama.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:

People have to remember that "CCN" was a phrase coined by this website, and that it really only applies to NYC law firm jobs. Throughout the rest of the country legal employers don't view NYU as any different from the rest of the top 14, and in many areas it will lose out to a top school that's in that region. For example, UVA is going to do better in the South than any school outside of HYS (and the person will need ties to the South if they attend one of those 3 schools). And in DC firms aren't going to look at NYU as being any better than UVA. The same logic applies with a school like Berkeley in its region. If you think Southern law firms are going to be more excited about an NYU grad than a UVA one, just because of toplawschools.com you've got another thing coming.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

People have to remember that "CCN" was a phrase coined by this website, and that it really only applies to NYC law firm jobs. Throughout the rest of the country legal employers don't view NYU as any different from the rest of the top 14, and in many areas it will lose out to a top school that's in that region. For example, UVA is going to do better in the South than any school outside of HYS (and the person will need ties to the South if they attend one of those 3 schools). And in DC firms aren't going to look at NYU as being any better than UVA. The same logic applies with a school like Berkeley in its region. If you think Southern law firms are going to be more excited about an NYU grad than a UVA one, just because of toplawschools.com you've got another thing coming.

Egregious (but probably true) anti NYU trolling.

I'm guessing though that Alabama firms would not view Chicago or Columbia (with similar ties) as any less worthy than UVA as, unlike NYU, they carry national reputations that transcend their home markets. Chicago perhaps moreso than Columbia, given its reputation among conservatives and "law and economics-y" people who tend to populate the south.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
quakeroats wrote:

1960 340,887 4.6%
1970 300,910 −11.7%
1980 284,413 −5.5%
1990 265,968 −6.5%
2000 242,840 −8.7%
2010 212,237 −12.6%

Using population trends to determine whether UVa kids without ties work in Birmingham seems absolutely retarded. Also, I am a Birmingham SA and know 4 UVA kids at my firm who are not from Alabama.

My point was more to question whether those without ties to Alabama would practice there when they have other options. Big firms in Birmingham are only looking for around 50 people. Why would they waste time and money on out of staters when UVA, Duke, Vandy, Emory, and Alabama have way more than 50 Alabama students who'd like to come back home? I have nothing against Alabama. I'm sure other markets are similar. By hiring those without any ties, they increase the chance of getting a flight risk who couldn't find other work.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad law wrote:1/3 from Bham you will probably get something at Vandy. Top half probably is still competitive if you are from Bham. Top 1/3 at Vandy people look at NYC and ATL generally.

Wow so you have to be top 1/3 to have a good shot at Atlanta biglaw? 70 percent of the class is out of luck!?

Atlanta biglaw might be harder to get than NYC, just because the jobs are still so scarce.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:54 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rad law wrote:1/3 from Bham you will probably get something at Vandy. Top half probably is still competitive if you are from Bham. Top 1/3 at Vandy people look at NYC and ATL generally.

Wow so you have to be top 1/3 to have a good shot at Atlanta biglaw? 70 percent of the class is out of luck!?

Atlanta biglaw might be harder to get than NYC, just because the jobs are still so scarce.

New York has around 2000 positions to fill. What does Atlanta have? 100-200?

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
quakeroats wrote:

1960 340,887 4.6%
1970 300,910 −11.7%
1980 284,413 −5.5%
1990 265,968 −6.5%
2000 242,840 −8.7%
2010 212,237 −12.6%

I'm not sure this accurately reflects Birmingham population. That's the city of Birmingham, but I'm pretty sure the metropolitan area has grown over that period. The state of Alabama certainly has. White flight to the suburbs was pretty epic in Birmingham.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:29 pm

Birmingham census for 2010 falls because of ITE and movement to suburbs
From 2000, Birmingham lost 12.6%. The county neighboring Birmingham grew 36.1%
Tuscaloosa and Huntsville both had increases well over 10% Alabama as a whole grew 7.5% to about 4,800,000 people.

The whole state seems like a very small market to try to find a job.

NALP putting in Alabama and Birmingham only comes up with 7 firms? Can anyone who knows the market decided if this is correct?
-----
Balch & Bingham LLP Birmingham AL (expecting 8 2Ls and 13 1Ls, hired 7 out of 8 2010 2Ls)

BRADLEY ARANT BOULT CUMMINGS LLP BIRMINGHAM AL (hiring 22 2Ls and 20 1Ls, hired 18 of 18 2LSAs on 2010 -note the forms says it is a single office form for multi-office firm)

Burr & Forman LLP Birmingham AL (multi-office form but hiring 9 1Ls in Birmingham, 10 2Ls firmwide - had 12 and offered 11 2010 2Ls)

Cabaniss, Johnston, Gardner, Dumas & O'Neal LLP Birmingham AL (looks like 2 offices on form, hired 1 of 2 SLs, TBD for next summer)

Haskell Slaughter Young & Rediker, LLC Birmingham AL (multioffice form so maybe useless, but only hired 2 out of 3 SLs firmwide)

Jackson Lewis LLP Birmingham AL (only 9 person office, no SA)

Johnston Barton Proctor & Rose LLP Birmingham AL (expect 3 2l and 6 1L; 2010 out of 5 2L offer 2)
-----
I'm not sure the total from these firms is even 50 2L SAs. One firm makes up most of the hiring. Many of these firms seem to hire large numbers of 1Ls.

I wonder if they usually just hire back the 1Ls they already had for the 2L year? If so, the number of SAs available to 2Ls must be much smaller than even these small numbers.
Last edited by sunynp on Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:33 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

New York has around 2000 positions to fill. What does Atlanta have? 100-200?

about 30 firms big enough to be NALP worthy, so that sounds about right, and they're the only big market from Miami to DC.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:53 pm

Real Madrid wrote:Any idea where one would have to place in their class to get a 1L SA from Vandy or Duke? What about a firm offer for employment after graduation? (Assume the student has ties to Alabama.)

Are we talking top of class, median, or even below median?

Looking at the numbers, there are very few positions. If you want a job in Birmingham, it seems like you should go hard for a 1L position. If they like you, and I guess if you make the grade cut, they invited you back for 2L. I don't know how many, if any firms hired any 3Ls.

Note: NALP must be missing some large Birmingham firms, I could only find 7. And several of those were small offices of larger firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:02 pm

sunynp wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:Any idea where one would have to place in their class to get a 1L SA from Vandy or Duke? What about a firm offer for employment after graduation? (Assume the student has ties to Alabama.)

Looking at the numbers, there are very few positions. If you want a job in Birmingham, it seems like you should go hard for a 1L position. If they like you, and I guess if you make the grade cut, they invited you back for 2L. I don't know how many, if any firms hired any 3Ls.

Note: NALP must be missing some large Birmingham firms, I could only find 7. And several of those were small offices of larger firms.

Maynard Cooper, Burr Foreman, Balch and Bingham, Baker Donelson, Bradley Arant, and Lightfoot Franklin all have 10+ person summer classes.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sunynp wrote:

Maynard Cooper, Burr Foreman, Balch and Bingham, Baker Donelson, Bradley Arant, and Lightfoot Franklin all have 10+ person summer classes.

From my above post:

Balch & Bingham LLP Birmingham AL (expecting 8 2Ls and 13 1Ls, hired 7 out of 8 2010 2Ls)

BRADLEY ARANT BOULT CUMMINGS LLP BIRMINGHAM AL (hiring 22 2Ls and 20 1Ls, hired 18 of 18 2LSAs on 2010 -note the forms says it is a single office form for multi-office firm)

Burr & Forman LLP Birmingham AL (multi-office form but hiring 9 1Ls in Birmingham, 10 2Ls firmwide - had 12 and offered 11 2010 2Ls)

Cabaniss, Johnston, Gardner, Dumas & O'Neal LLP Birmingham AL (looks like 2 offices on form, hired 1 of 2 SLs, TBD for next summer)

Haskell Slaughter Young & Rediker, LLC Birmingham AL (multioffice form so maybe useless, but only hired 2 out of 3 SLs firmwide)

Jackson Lewis LLP Birmingham AL (only 9 person office, no SA)

Johnston Barton Proctor & Rose LLP Birmingham AL (expect 3 2l and 6 1L; 2010 out of 5 2L offer 2)

Three of the firms you mention Maynard Baker and Lightfoot aren't on NALP under Alabama. (at least not that I could find) I think relying on NALP is not correct for researching this firms in Birmingham. Also, they seem to all hire a ton of 1Ls compared to other markets, so I think the 1L SA is the thing to shoot for. If you have more information, please post it. I'm still thinking the 2L SA market in Birmingham is tiny if you haven't had a 1L SA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:14 pm

Its not that tiny, alot of the firms ask back 60-80% of the 1Ls and then fill the gaps with 2L. Another common practice if for someone from a T14 to work their 1L summer in birmingham, then do 10 weeks in NYC/DC and 2 weeks in bham as a 2L.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:25 pm

I found Baker Donelson - but they only list all their offices on the NALP form.

They had 28 2Ls and made 15 offers for the 2010 class over all their offices. (they had 7 1Ls)

They expect to hire 28 2Ls as SAs for 2011 over all their offices.

FWIW -They have 66 attorneys in their Birmingham office making them the 4th largest office of the firm.

edit - I think 13 no offers is a high number. They no offered slightly less than half of their SA class.
Last edited by sunynp on Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Its not that tiny, alot of the firms ask back 60-80% of the 1Ls and then fill the gaps with 2L. Another common practice if for someone from a T14 to work their 1L summer in birmingham, then do 10 weeks in NYC/DC and 2 weeks in bham as a 2L.

But do the 2Ls who work 10 weeks in NYC/DC and then in Birmingham count on the total for 2Ls listed for the Birmingham office? Or do they count for NYC/DC offices?

I guess NALP is not a good guide as to the number of 2L SAs in Birmingham.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:49 pm

sunynp wrote:I found Baker Donelson - but they only list all their offices on the NALP form.

They had 28 2Ls and made 15 offers for the 2010 class over all their offices. (they had 7 1Ls)

They expect to hire 28 2Ls as SAs for 2011 over all their offices.

FWIW -They have 66 attorneys in their Birmingham office making them the 4th largest office of the firm.

edit - I think 13 no offers is a high number. They no offered slightly less than half of their SA class.

No offers aren't that unusual. $5 says it's a 6 week program. They expect you to have something else.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:01 pm

What's the salary scale for Birmingham biglaw? First year 110K, 2nd year?, 3rd year?, ...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's the salary scale for Birmingham biglaw? First year 110K, 2nd year?, 3rd year?, ...

No one knows?

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:44 pm

That is a crazy amount of 1Ls, I had heard Birmingham hired a lot but didn't know this many.

Return to “Legal Employment”