What are my chances?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What are my chances?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:03 pm

I go to a T6, grades are above top 30%. This is all for corporate in New York. How are my chances at these firms? TYIA

Cravath
Skadden
DPW

K&E
Weil
Cleary
STB
S&C

Anonymous User

Re: What are my chances?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:54 pm

OP here: would appreciate any advice you may have. Thanks!

Eco

Postby Eco » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:05 am

I'm sure you'll get interviews just don't mess up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:16 am

bump

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:22 am

They're all worth bidding. Cravath is the least likely but not impossible or unreasonable. Hard to give advice beyond that.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:29 am

You can't chance firms based on school and grades. It doesn't work that way.

We can easily say you won't be automatically out of the running with your stats, but little beyond that. Personality, interview ability, and background play a HUGE factor once you get past whatever grades threshold a firm is looking for from your school.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:31 am

thesealocust wrote:You can't chance firms based on school and grades. It doesn't work that way.

We can easily say you won't be automatically out of the running with your stats, but little beyond that. Personality, interview ability, and background play a HUGE factor once you get past whatever grades threshold a firm is looking for from your school.

Damnit, so you mean actually getting the job is not like law school admissions?

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:45 am

rad law wrote:
thesealocust wrote:You can't chance firms based on school and grades. It doesn't work that way.

Damnit, so you mean actually getting the job is not like law school admissions?

ROFL :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:48 pm

Thanks for the input! I know numbers and school are not determinative. I was just wondering if my grades put me solidly in contention or well above the median offeree or well below to the point where the firm is a reach.

I don't want to be too aggressive with my bidding strategy and then not get any offers.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the input! I know numbers and school are not determinative. I was just wondering if my grades put me solidly in contention or well above the median offeree or well below to the point where the firm is a reach.

I don't want to be too aggressive with my bidding strategy and then not get any offers.

Are you Stone? Top 30% is probs below median at Cravath and SullCrom and DPW. Maybe STB too. That doesn't matter much though. Softs will play bigger diff in that range.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:57 am

That's the kind of info I'm looking for. Probably closer to top 25%, but at that point, like you said, the narrow distinctions in grades doesn't matter much anymore.

Does anyone have the CLS Honors book?

rayiner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the input! I know numbers and school are not determinative. I was just wondering if my grades put me solidly in contention or well above the median offeree or well below to the point where the firm is a reach.

Are you Stone? Top 30% is probs below median at Cravath and SullCrom and DPW. Maybe STB too. That doesn't matter much though. Softs will play bigger diff in that range.

Return to “Legal Employment”