Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I mass mailed a bunch of firms who came to OCI, but with whom I didn't get to interview with. By following up a bit, its worked out quite well. Got CB's with Akin Gump and Cahill last week, and what I think are screeners with Baker Botts and Brown Rudnick in the past few days.

How did you follow up with them? Call? Email? Do you have good grades?
I have been mailing and I haven't received a single answer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I mass mailed a bunch of firms who came to OCI, but with whom I didn't get to interview with. By following up a bit, its worked out quite well. Got CB's with Akin Gump and Cahill last week, and what I think are screeners with Baker Botts and Brown Rudnick in the past few days.

I just sent a series of emails. One was the initial application, and then I updated them with some additional info. On the few that I was really interested in, I would give a call to recruiting to see the status of my app. Sure, most give stock responses, but some would get back to me pretty quickly.

Yes, I have good grades, and I go to CCN, but all that does is get my resume looked at in the first place. I think persistence and a display that you are really serious about this firm is absolutely necessary at this point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:02 pm

I mass mailed a CA firm earlier this week and received a call today for a screener. So it's not too late!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:06 pm

Winston Strawn Chi CB today. Mailed on Tuesday this week

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I just sent a series of emails. One was the initial application, and then I updated them with some additional info. On the few that I was really interested in, I would give a call to recruiting to see the status of my app. Sure, most give stock responses, but some would get back to me pretty quickly.

Yes, I have good grades, and I go to CCN, but all that does is get my resume looked at in the first place. I think persistence and a display that you are really serious about this firm is absolutely necessary at this point.

What kind of additional info did you send?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interesting rejection letter from STB. OK, maybe not that interesting, but at least different from the others.

"Thank you for the interest you have expressed in our firm.

Unfortunately, in both our summer and our new associate classes, we strive to achieve a balance of students from the various schools we visit. Accordingly, we cannot accommodate interview requests from all the qualified students who seek a position with our firm.

We were pleased at the response we received from students at Michigan and we have invited a number of your classmates to visit us at our office. Thus, we have no openings remaining for students at Michigan.

Please accept our wishes for success in your search over the next few months during the fall recruiting season."

I go to Michigan as well and didn't get a STB interview so I resume dropped, and got a similar letter a while back -- except it basically said that they didn't have room to interview anyone who didn't initially interview with them on campus.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:04 pm

Allen & Overy NY phone screener

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interesting rejection letter from STB. OK, maybe not that interesting, but at least different from the others.

"Thank you for the interest you have expressed in our firm.

Unfortunately, in both our summer and our new associate classes, we strive to achieve a balance of students from the various schools we visit. Accordingly, we cannot accommodate interview requests from all the qualified students who seek a position with our firm.

We were pleased at the response we received from students at Michigan and we have invited a number of your classmates to visit us at our office. Thus, we have no openings remaining for students at Michigan.

Please accept our wishes for success in your search over the next few months during the fall recruiting season."

I go to Michigan as well and didn't get a STB interview so I resume dropped, and got a similar letter a while back -- except it basically said that they didn't have room to interview anyone who didn't initially interview with them on campus.

Got identical letter recently - except delete "Michigan" and insert "Georgetown."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:18 pm

Things have been going well on the mass-mailing/networking front. Got CB's with Jones Day and Baker Botts, and screeners from Kirkland, Clifford Chance, and Covington just recently set up. A number of these requests just came in during the past 3 days, so don't lose hope.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Things have been going well on the mass-mailing/networking front. Got CB's with Jones Day and Baker Botts, and screeners from Kirkland, Clifford Chance, and Covington just recently set up. A number of these requests just came in during the past 3 days, so don't lose hope.

I've lost hope. Single CB from mass mailing ----> ding.

Did you mail these recently? I've pretty much papered 3 markets that I have a conceivable connection to at this point (Chi, LA, SF).

:|

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Things have been going well on the mass-mailing/networking front. Got CB's with Jones Day and Baker Botts, and screeners from Kirkland, Clifford Chance, and Covington just recently set up. A number of these requests just came in during the past 3 days, so don't lose hope.

Did you mail these recently? I've pretty much papered 3 markets that I have a conceivable connection to at this point (Chi, LA, SF).

I mailed my stuff out about 2 weeks ago. The most important thing is to get in touch with people at the firm, chat with them about their experiences, and see if they can help push your info along to recruiting. If you can get in touch and schedule a 15 min conversation, you will have an opening (assuming it goes well) to see if they can help. Normally, you would wait for the contact to organically offer such assistance, but it is late in the game. See who you can schedule a quick conversation with, ask some Q's, and see if they can help you set something up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Allen & Overy NY phone screener

Did you submit the SA application online - and heard back from them by phone? I submitted that application thing online earlier this month and haven't heard back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Did you do NY? If not...strongly consider it. Quick.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Did you submit the SA application online - and heard back from them by phone? I submitted that application thing online earlier this month and haven't heard back.

Nah, emailed recruiting contact.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Nah, emailed recruiting contact.

If you don't mind, can you please look up their email address that you used? I tried to follow up with them at 'LegalCareers@allenovery.com' and haven't had too much luck. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:40 am

Yeah, used that one.

I always try to find the non-super generic emails, but didn't have any luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, used that one.

I always try to find the non-super generic emails, but didn't have any luck.

Thanks!!! Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Same poster, CB from phone screener.

Keep on mailing people. And I think if you get a phone screener, a CB is pretty easy to get because they already like your credentials, and I think they realize phone interviews are just sort of inherently awkward.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Keep on mailing people. And I think if you get a phone screener, a CB is pretty easy to get because they already like your credentials, and I think they realize phone interviews are just sort of inherently awkward.

what are your stats if you don't mind my asking?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

what are your stats if you don't mind my asking?

Top 10%, MVP

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:30 pm

Has anyone had any luck calling a recruiter after sending in your application? There are tons of firms I haven't even heard back from, and they also haven't responded to my "following up to make sure you received my materials" email.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone had any luck calling a recruiter after sending in your application? There are tons of firms I haven't even heard back from, and they also haven't responded to my "following up to make sure you received my materials" email.

Based on other posts here, yes. Call.

Also some have claimed to have luck contacting alumni at the firm, even associates.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:33 pm

Got CBs with Jones Day, Kirkland, and Paul Hastings within the past week through a.combo of mass mailing and networking with people in the firm (who would then help me out and push my materials along)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got CBs with Jones Day, Kirkland, and Paul Hastings within the past week through a.combo of mass mailing and networking with people in the firm (who would then help me out and push my materials along)

Which market?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got CBs with Jones Day, Kirkland, and Paul Hastings within the past week through a.combo of mass mailing and networking with people in the firm (who would then help me out and push my materials along)

Which market?

NY

Return to “Legal Employment”