Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got CB from screener I did with Herrick, Feinstein in NY. The screener was secured through mass mail. I have more mass mail CB's than I do through OCI, which is a bit weird.


I also did significantly better in terms of mass mailings than at OCI (as in, I've actually gotten CB's through mass mail and got nada so far out of OCI).


+1.

8 mass mail CB's, 1 thru our tiny pink OCI.

This is impressive - I haven't gotten a single mass mail screener.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any word from cahill? anybody get an offer after a while?


CB, obtained through mailing, over two weeks ago. No ding nor offer, yet. At the interview they said I might hear by last week, but that I shouldn't be surprised if it takes longer. Anyone still in a similar boat? Worth contacting recruiting office?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:16 pm

Interview at an employment lit firm in SF via mass mail.

2 partners and 1 associate. 30 minutes each. Early afternoon.

Is this a callback? Seems shorter than what is normal.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:38 am

K&L Gates CB and Jones Day screener

Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:40 pm

email ding from Arnold & Porter NY, but they said "we encourage you to be in touch with us again next fall." Are they just being polite?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:email ding from Arnold & Porter NY, but they said "we encourage you to be in touch with us again next fall." Are they just being polite?


yes

Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:07 pm

I'm not sure if you consider these mass-mail interviews, but I dropped resumes to (and then mass emailed) firms that came to my school's OCI, but with whom I didn't interview with during the formal recruiting program.

Just got Brown Rudnick NY interview

Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:26 pm

Cravath phone screener

Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:50 pm

Was offered two cb's with Cleveland firms this week from mailings I did in July. Ultimately declined both, however.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:05 pm

V20 offer secured from a firm I mass-mailed. So glad I mass-mailed instead of relying solely upon OCI.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:08 pm

Ding from Wilkie submitted by mail on 8/4.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:V20 offer secured from a firm I mass-mailed. So glad I mass-mailed instead of relying solely upon OCI.


I wish I had mass-mailed the V25 firms rather than selecting them through OCI. Sure, I ended up with a bunch of interviews with them, but they were so caught up trying to question me on the odd nature of my background and experiences that it was an uphill battle that was impossible to win in 20 min, and no amount of good personality was going to solve the problem (as reflected by my complete strike out on V25 firms). Thus, all those interviews were wasted. Had I just mass mailed them, they would have screened me, and those that were interested would have contacted me. Plus, I could have used those bids on more "match" firms.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6344
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby 5ky » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:V20 offer secured from a firm I mass-mailed. So glad I mass-mailed instead of relying solely upon OCI.


I wish I had mass-mailed the V25 firms rather than selecting them through OCI. Sure, I ended up with a bunch of interviews with them, but they were so caught up trying to question me on the odd nature of my background and experiences that it was an uphill battle that was impossible to win in 20 min, and no amount of good personality was going to solve the problem (as reflected by my complete strike out on V25 firms). Thus, all those interviews were wasted. Had I just mass mailed them, they would have screened me, and those that were interested would have contacted me. Plus, I could have used those bids on more "match" firms.


I strongly disagree with this sentiment.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:23 am

5ky wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:V20 offer secured from a firm I mass-mailed. So glad I mass-mailed instead of relying solely upon OCI.


I wish I had mass-mailed the V25 firms rather than selecting them through OCI. Sure, I ended up with a bunch of interviews with them, but they were so caught up trying to question me on the odd nature of my background and experiences that it was an uphill battle that was impossible to win in 20 min, and no amount of good personality was going to solve the problem (as reflected by my complete strike out on V25 firms). Thus, all those interviews were wasted. Had I just mass mailed them, they would have screened me, and those that were interested would have contacted me. Plus, I could have used those bids on more "match" firms.


I strongly disagree with this sentiment.


I know. Its me just speaking in hindsight. Obviously I couldn't have known at the time that facetime and personality would mean so little and that I'd be shut out of the V25 firms. Sure, if I could build a time machine, I would do it differently. But you are right in that its not like I could have known, so saying I "should" have done it is silly.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:33 am

Completed CB today with V100 the Bay Area. Got the CB about a week and a half ago via mass mailing in mid August.

I thought it went pretty well, overall. But who knows, I thought my OCI interviews went well too, and those didn't translate into too many CBs.

Had a pretty good time during one of the partner interviews ... lots of laughing and a generally good conversation.

*fingers crossed*

Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:24 pm

Cahill callback.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:48 pm

Mayer Brown CB

Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:51 pm

Goodwin DC ding via mass mail in late-July. Thanks for playing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:01 pm

I mass mailed a bunch of firms who came to OCI, but with whom I didn't get to interview with. By following up a bit, its worked out quite well. Got CB's with Akin Gump and Cahill last week, and what I think are screeners with Baker Botts and Brown Rudnick in the past few days.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:19 am

any point in following up with firms you still havent heard from. sent apps end of july. a bunch of firms i havent heard back. i realize not every firm answers. but if still no offer, any point to follow up? was thinking maybe some havent filled their class and will be more interested now.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6344
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby 5ky » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:I mass mailed a bunch of firms who came to OCI, but with whom I didn't get to interview with. By following up a bit, its worked out quite well. Got CB's with Akin Gump and Cahill last week, and what I think are screeners with Baker Botts and Brown Rudnick in the past few days.


While I did not personally do this, I would recommend this to anyone still looking for an offer. Firms that have proven that they are eager to hire from your school are going to be better luck than those that couldn't be bothered to come.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any point in following up with firms you still havent heard from. sent apps end of july. a bunch of firms i havent heard back. i realize not every firm answers. but if still no offer, any point to follow up? was thinking maybe some havent filled their class and will be more interested now.

Do it. Just picked up a CB from a firm I mass mailed a month ago.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:22 pm

Interesting rejection letter from STB. OK, maybe not that interesting, but at least different from the others.

"Thank you for the interest you have expressed in our firm.

Unfortunately, in both our summer and our new associate classes, we strive to achieve a balance of students from the various schools we visit. Accordingly, we cannot accommodate interview requests from all the qualified students who seek a position with our firm.

We were pleased at the response we received from students at Michigan and we have invited a number of your classmates to visit us at our office. Thus, we have no openings remaining for students at Michigan.

Please accept our wishes for success in your search over the next few months during the fall recruiting season."

Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:53 pm

should i be following up with an e-mail or a phone call?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273120
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interesting rejection letter from STB. OK, maybe not that interesting, but at least different from the others.

"Thank you for the interest you have expressed in our firm.

Unfortunately, in both our summer and our new associate classes, we strive to achieve a balance of students from the various schools we visit. Accordingly, we cannot accommodate interview requests from all the qualified students who seek a position with our firm.

We were pleased at the response we received from students at Michigan and we have invited a number of your classmates to visit us at our office. Thus, we have no openings remaining for students at Michigan.

Please accept our wishes for success in your search over the next few months during the fall recruiting season."


Send an e-mail back and suggest you transfer down to a lower school if that would help.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.