Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At how many interviews can I stop mass mailing? I've been doing 4-5 firms a day, and I've managed to collect 23 interviews. Can I stop now?

your a tool


It's a serious question, I 13 through OCI and 10 through mass mail, when is it safe to quit?

Its not. Keep going. And even if it is a serious question, it is still toolish.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At how many interviews can I stop mass mailing? I've been doing 4-5 firms a day, and I've managed to collect 23 interviews. Can I stop now?

your a tool


It's a serious question, I 13 through OCI and 10 through mass mail, when is it safe to quit?

whenever you feel like its enough

Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At how many interviews can I stop mass mailing? I've been doing 4-5 firms a day, and I've managed to collect 23 interviews. Can I stop now?

your a tool


It's a serious question, I 13 through OCI and 10 through mass mail, when is it safe to quit?

Its not. Keep going. And even if it is a serious question, it is still toolish.


It's definitely toolish but I'm curious. What are your stats that you landed 10 mass mail interviews already?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's definitely toolish but I'm curious. What are your stats that you landed 10 mass mail interviews already?


T30 top 10%. I'm targetting Labor & Employment Litigation firms, and firms with decent sized L&E departments, I've got a rather bitchin 8 page writing sample that I think is doing most of the work for me. Decent resume, but no real work experience, just a couple internships. About half of the firms are 20-60 lawyers, though a few are big names.

User avatar
RMstratosphere
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby RMstratosphere » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's definitely toolish but I'm curious. What are your stats that you landed 10 mass mail interviews already?


T30 top 10%. I'm targetting Labor & Employment Litigation firms, and firms with decent sized L&E departments, I've got a rather bitchin 8 page writing sample that I think is doing most of the work for me. Decent resume, but no real work experience, just a couple internships. About half of the firms are 20-60 lawyers, though a few are big names.


You really are a tool.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:35 pm

I think I've come up with a workign strategy. If you have a specific target practice, and you have a solid writing sample related to that, I think it really helps. I've got an FMLA motion that I wrote, and they seem to like that I bothered to tailor my writing sample to their practice.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think I've come up with a workign strategy. If you have a specific target practice, and you have a solid writing sample related to that, I think it really helps. I've got an FMLA motion that I wrote, and they seem to like that I bothered to tailor my writing sample to their practice.


+1

I drafted a judicial opinion on an FLSA matter, and I am interested in labor & employment as well. The interviewers I have spoken with are very interested to read it and discuss the matters involved. Doesn't hurt that my 1L appellate brief was about employee drug testing either. So I essentially have my choice of solid writing samples that are on topic to my target practice area. This doesn't get my foot in the door, but it is getting the job done at interviews.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:43 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's definitely toolish but I'm curious. What are your stats that you landed 10 mass mail interviews already?


T30 top 10%. I'm targetting Labor & Employment Litigation firms, and firms with decent sized L&E departments, I've got a rather bitchin 8 page writing sample that I think is doing most of the work for me. Decent resume, but no real work experience, just a couple internships. About half of the firms are 20-60 lawyers, though a few are big names.


You really are a tool.

+1. He better not stop applying, because he may actually strike out with all 23 of his interviews if he's this big a tool IRL.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:33 pm

I'm going to tentatively say I got an interview today. After I transferred, I contacted all firms I previously bid on at my old school, and updated them with my info and re-submitted my resume (even though the firms pretty much all interview at my new school, which uses lottery system). One firm got back to me saying that I should first try and get a spot through the lottery, but if it doesn't work out, they would be happy to set up a screener at the firm.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:41 pm

Pre-OCI interview with Shearman. Just found out that it's going to be screener-style (one interview with hiring partner lasting a half hour) instead of a callback.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Pre-OCI interview with Shearman. Just found out that it's going to be screener-style (one interview with hiring partner lasting a half hour) instead of a callback.


Stats? When did you submit and when did you hear back? An alum give my resume to the recruiter a couple weeks ago and I haven't heard anything yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Pre-OCI interview with Shearman. Just found out that it's going to be screener-style (one interview with hiring partner lasting a half hour) instead of a callback.


Stats? When did you submit and when did you hear back? An alum give my resume to the recruiter a couple weeks ago and I haven't heard anything yet.


CCN + Law Review. Applied a couple weeks ago and they got right back to me (I'm thinking there was a reply within the hour).

User avatar
jsarna1
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:14 pm

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby jsarna1 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:57 pm

I know some people said they were dinged via email at Jenner & Block (Chi). Has anyone been dinged via snail mail or has anyone received an interview yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:21 pm

Pre-select school. E-mailed recruiter prior to OCI b/c of a minor connection, she said "We look forward to meeting with you. It will either be on campus or we will invite you to the firm".

Pre-selects came out and I'm an alternate. Do you think I should send an update? Or just wait to hear from her.

User avatar
sanpiero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:09 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby sanpiero » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Pre-select school. E-mailed recruiter prior to OCI b/c of a minor connection, she said "We look forward to meeting with you. It will either be on campus or we will invite you to the firm".

Pre-selects came out and I'm an alternate. Do you think I should send an update? Or just wait to hear from her.


I'd wait to see if you get the interview. If you don't, they will invite you to the firm, as she said. I doubt she would have committed to something like that, if she didn't mean it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:59 pm

sanpiero wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Pre-select school. E-mailed recruiter prior to OCI b/c of a minor connection, she said "We look forward to meeting with you. It will either be on campus or we will invite you to the firm".

Pre-selects came out and I'm an alternate. Do you think I should send an update? Or just wait to hear from her.


I'd wait to see if you get the interview. If you don't, they will invite you to the firm, as she said. I doubt she would have committed to something like that, if she didn't mean it.

Disagree. This process is as much about timing as anything, and you don't want to wait until after OCI when they have potentially fewer slots. I have an alternate slot and I interviewed the recruiter just to say that I am very interested in interviewing, either at OCI or outside of it. I think you should do this as well. It will probably make you their first choice alternate, or they will just say screw OCI, let's interview this guy now. There's really no harm in it, just the possibility of an earlier interview.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sanpiero wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Pre-select school. E-mailed recruiter prior to OCI b/c of a minor connection, she said "We look forward to meeting with you. It will either be on campus or we will invite you to the firm".

Pre-selects came out and I'm an alternate. Do you think I should send an update? Or just wait to hear from her.


I'd wait to see if you get the interview. If you don't, they will invite you to the firm, as she said. I doubt she would have committed to something like that, if she didn't mean it.

Disagree. This process is as much about timing as anything, and you don't want to wait until after OCI when they have potentially fewer slots. I have an alternate slot and I interviewed the recruiter just to say that I am very interested in interviewing, either at OCI or outside of it. I think you should do this as well. It will probably make you their first choice alternate, or they will just say screw OCI, let's interview this guy now. There's really no harm in it, just the possibility of an earlier interview.


OP. I agree with you, I just don't want to annoy her. I would think if the firm picks, she knows I'm an alternate. Just seems weird they would guarantee me an interview, and not just pick me for an OCI slot.

hawkeye22
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby hawkeye22 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:19 am

jsarna1 wrote:I know some people said they were dinged via email at Jenner & Block (Chi). Has anyone been dinged via snail mail or has anyone received an interview yet?


I applied about a week ago and haven't heard anything.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any Midwesterners with anything to report? Chicago/STL/Indianapolis?


Almost no word from Detroit, Louisville, and Chicago (but I'm not bidding on firms like Baker, Jenner, etc.).

Indianapolis: got two dings and one screener (Bingham McHale).

Cincinnati: got a screener at Taft.

No St. Louis apps.

Probably sent out 40+ apps, have heard back from maybe 6. Is the midwest always this slow?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:52 am

Vinson & Elkins NY screener a couple of days after sending my resume.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:53 am

In-house screening interview at White & Case next week set up.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Vinson & Elkins NY screener a couple of days after sending my resume.


Wow! I still haven't heard back from them! Stats?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Vinson & Elkins NY screener a couple of days after sending my resume.


Wow! I still haven't heard back from them! Stats?

Same person as A&O on the previous page.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Vinson & Elkins NY screener a couple of days after sending my resume.


Wow! I still haven't heard back from them! Stats?

Same person as A&O on the previous page.


Wow. A&O and V&E? You're killing it. Hope I hear back from either of them soon! When you're there, do you mind asking if they're planning on having anymore people in the office for interviews that they haven't gotten back to yet?

phonepro
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: Mass Mail Interview Response Time?

Postby phonepro » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Vinson & Elkins NY screener a couple of days after sending my resume.


Wow! I still haven't heard back from them! Stats?

Same person as A&O on the previous page.


Wow. A&O and V&E? You're killing it. Hope I hear back from either of them soon! When you're there, do you mind asking if they're planning on having anymore people in the office for interviews that they haven't gotten back to yet?


LOL i'm sure thats going to be his top priority.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.