Nashville

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawhawk

Nashville

Postby lawhawk » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:05 pm

I'm a rising 2L who doesn't go to Vandy or UT and only 1 Nashville firms/office is coming to my school's OCI. I want to work in Nashville and I have enough ties to make it sound convincing. I've made a list of the larger firms via a martindale hubble search.

Does anyone have any advice on getting a SA job there? Which firms are hiring?

Grizz

Re: Nashville

Postby Grizz » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:20 pm

If you're not from Nashville you're gonna have a hell of a time. Firms are small and They have their pick if Vandy students with ties who want to stay and lots of Vandy people from the top of the class.

If you're at Tennessee it might be an easier sell. If you're not, you're gonna have a hell of a time, especially if you're not from there. Good luck.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:40 pm

rad law wrote:If you're not from Nashville you're gonna have a hell of a time. Firms are small and They have their pick if Vandy students with ties who want to stay and lots of Vandy people from the top of the class.

If you're at Tennessee it might be an easier sell. If you're not, you're gonna have a hell of a time, especially if you're not from there. Good luck.

It is not at all impossible to work in Nashville if you do not go to Vandy or UT. I would suggest you contact alumni from your school at the largest firms in town and try to network your way to an interview. The following firms will most likely have a summer program:

Bass Berry
Miller & Martin
Bradley Arant
Baker Donelson
Adams & Reese
Stites & Harbison
Waller Lansden does not have a summer program but we will have a fall 3L program

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:51 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
It is not at all impossible to work in Nashville if you do not go to Vandy or UT. I would suggest you contact alumni from your school at the largest firms in town and try to network your way to an interview. The following firms will most likely have a summer program:

Bass Berry
Miller & Martin
Bradley Arant
Baker Donelson
Adams & Reese
Stites & Harbison
Waller Lansden does not have a summer program but we will have a fall 3L program

As usual, good advice from lawfirmrecruiter. Also, OP there are smaller firms that have summer programs. Don't limit yourself to large firms. Do some digging on Martindale for them.

Also, LFR, no idea you were at Waller. That's pretty cool.

lawhawk

Postby lawhawk » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:55 pm

Yeah, thanks both. LFR, I'd been following your other thread -- much appreciated. Bummer on Waller, my only real legal connection in the city is a partner there.

I made a list via martindale of the 25 or so biggest firms in Nashville -- I've already got two interviews so I guess I can't complain too much. The problem I've been encountering is that not many firms are headquartered in Nashville so the Nashville offices are much smaller and, thus, don't hire SAs.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:01 pm

lawhawk wrote:Yeah, thanks both. LFR, I'd been following your other thread -- much appreciated. Bummer on Waller, my only real legal connection in the city is a partner there.

I made a list via martindale of the 25 or so biggest firms in Nashville -- I've already got two interviews so I guess I can't complain too much. The problem I've been encountering is that not many firms are headquartered in Nashville so the Nashville offices are much smaller and, thus, don't hire SAs.

Lawhawk, we are not out of the game, just a bit later in the process. We'll look for your app this time next year!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:05 pm

lawhawk wrote:Yeah, thanks both. LFR, I'd been following your other thread -- much appreciated. Bummer on Waller, my only real legal connection in the city is a partner there.

Some firms with 20 odd attys hire SAs. Do some digging bro.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:08 pm

rad law wrote:

Any idea which firms in Nashville with < 20 attorneys hire SAs?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad law wrote:

Do some research on Martindale, bro.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad law wrote:

ITE it is hit or miss. Like Rad Law said, search Martindale and then call each one you find.

BunkMoreland

Postby BunkMoreland » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:35 pm

rad law is rad

lawhawk

Postby lawhawk » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:19 pm

rad law wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rad law wrote:

Do some research on Martindale, bro.

Did the research last week, got the callback interview this afternoon haha. Firm has 12 attorneys.

Seriously, half the firms with 50-99 attorneys don't have a summer program. It really is hit or miss.

JohnWild

Postby JohnWild » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:29 pm

Any idea of what the pay is at places like this? Market? Below-market? Varies? Below-market, but potential for larger bonuses?

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:10 pm

I don't think anywhere in Nashville pays "market."

Nashville market is between 100 and 120 I think, with 120 being rare. Most places settle around 110 from what I've encountered. And note, these are the "big" Nashville firms.

That said, 100 in Nashville > 160 in NYC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:33 am

Current 1L SA at mid-level firm in Nashville (hence the anonymous post). A couple of thoughts:

First, if you're not from Vandy or UT, you will have a hard time getting here, with the only exceptions as the Nashville Bar 1L Diversity Job Fair and the upcoming TBA Diversity Job Fair. Law firm recruiter can speak to the hiring practices of her own firm, but as someone who blanketed the Nashville legal community, I can tell you that kids not from UT or Vandy (or UT/Belmont/Vandy/Lipscomb undergrad) are at an inherent disadvantage. There are a few kids from Alabama, Cumberland, Memphis, Ole Miss and Kentucky, but they are few and far between. Nashville is predominantly Tennessee, Vanderbilt and Nashville School of Law (a lot more than you would think). Also keep in mind that Belmont will be joining the scene this fall--I don't know how this is going to affect hiring, my guess is that it probably won't but who really knows.

Market for Nashville is $100K at the big firms. Maybe $110 at a couple, but you'd be fortunate to make $100K in Nash. If you're not at Baker, Bass, BABC or Miller Martin, you're going to have a hard time breaking six figures as a first, second or third year associate. Those are the best four firms in Nashville and the best shot for people out of state looking for jobs here. 2L Summer associate positions salaries are going to be in the $1500-1800 range. 1L SAs are around $1000-1200 but I know a few firms that are above and below that.

As far as the smaller firms, my guess is that they pay around $75-85K, just depends which one you go with. But keep in mind a lot of these firms are majority Vanderbilt or majority Tennessee and like to stick to those schools for recruiting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:51 pm

Anyone receive offers from Nashville firms yet? I have an upcoming Miller & Martin callback and am working on scheduling one with Baker.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone receive offers from Nashville firms yet? I have an upcoming Miller & Martin callback and am working on scheduling one with Baker.
They're all going to be slow on this (unless they have to have you, I guess). I've been on CBs with 2 of the big ones and they both said it would likely be mid-September. The smaller the market, the less quickly they move (from what I've seen).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:16 pm

Had a CB with one of those 4 a week or so ago and a CB with another coming up next week. I'm guessing mid September at the earliest.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:09 pm

Does anyone have any idea of the pay scale up to 8th year in Nashville? What about bonuses?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had a CB with one of those 4 a week or so ago and a CB with another coming up next week. I'm guessing mid September at the earliest.

That's about right. Decisions at most Nashville firms are made mid to late September.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:05 pm

Have called back with 2 of the "big 4" in Nashville, both will be late September at the earliest.

BABC, I believe, is still in the process of figuring out which 1Ls are going to return as 2L SAs.

Good luck with Miller & Martin. It's a small program and from what I hear, they're looking to take 4.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have called back with 2 of the "big 4" in Nashville, both will be late September at the earliest.

BABC, I believe, is still in the process of figuring out which 1Ls are going to return as 2L SAs.

Good luck with Miller & Martin. It's a small program and from what I hear, they're looking to take 4.

Which have you called?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Have called back with 2 of the "big 4" in Nashville, both will be late September at the earliest.

Any idea roughly how many callbacks M&M gives? 4 is a pretty small number, so I'm really hoping they don't give 30+ CBs for 4 spots.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Which have you called?
Gotta be Baker and Bass. I've been to both of them as well, haven't even heard back from BABC despite mailing a month ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Which have you called?
Gotta be Baker and Bass. I've been to both of them as well, haven't even heard back from BABC despite mailing a month ago.

As someone who also has CBs in Nash, anyone not from Vandy/UT care to give stats? It is relevant to my interests.

Return to “Legal Employment”