Interests Section?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Interests section on resume?

Yes
54%
No
14%
Yes, if you actually have something interesting
32%

Total votes: 92

ebeth

Re: Interests Section?

Postby ebeth » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:43 pm

LS18 wrote:where are you guys placing interests on your resume? I don't have room for a whole new section, so I figured I'd combine it with volunteering/community work. Is it ok to just have one bullet point listing 3-4 interests?

I have a section at the very bottom because I had space to do so. Your way sounds fine. And definitely put them in one line.

Lawyerhead

Postby Lawyerhead » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:07 am

Aston2412 wrote:I'm well versed in the internal anatomy of a dragon, including its musculature, nervous system and bone structure. I declined to put that as an interest on my resume. Think I made a mistake?

I'd love to see this personally, but many lawyers take themselves too seriously and would deny you within 4 seconds.

Also, don't list an interest you can't talk about. There's always a partner out there who is an expert in whatever you list. Always! Well, maybe not dragons.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:26 am

I put under my interest section, "Working nights and weekends" and "Never complaining."

We'll see how that goes.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:58 am

missinglink wrote:I put under my interest section, "Working nights and weekends" and "Never complaining."

We'll see how that goes.

Did you actually? That's... almost endearing, actually :lol:

smittytron3k

Postby smittytron3k » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:05 pm

Had a "mock interview" (thanks, OCS!) with a Biglaw partner this morning who had an old copy of my resume w/o an interests section. He commented that he would have liked to see an interests section to give him some more potential conversation topics. I showed him an updated resume (with interests section) and he says "this is much better, and it's a shame that we don't have a ton of time because I would have loved to ask you about x and y."

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:50 am

thesealocust wrote:
missinglink wrote:I put under my interest section, "Working nights and weekends" and "Never complaining."

We'll see how that goes.

Did you actually? That's... almost endearing, actually :lol:

Hah. I'd love to see the reaction that would get.

But no, I stuck with a standard panoply of interests - sports, cooking, etc. I did throw in one "odd ball" interest that I bet no one has ever seen on a resume. I've always found the interests section is where an interview naturally leads anyways, so I like to have something a little out of the ordinary there.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:13 am

smittytron3k wrote:Had a "mock interview" (thanks, OCS!) with a Biglaw partner this morning who had an old copy of my resume w/o an interests section. He commented that he would have liked to see an interests section to give him some more potential conversation topics. I showed him an updated resume (with interests section) and he says "this is much better, and it's a shame that we don't have a ton of time because I would have loved to ask you about x and y."

FWIW, I received similar feedback at a mock interview. Was basically told to keep my interests line no matter what.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:29 am

Spoke to a federal judges, multiple law clerks, my school's career office, and a big law partner (mock interview). I got split responses about a interest line. Most were neutral about an interest line, but the partnet liked it. To summarize, it won't hurt you because people either said it won't help or that it would help. When asked further, no one told me an interest line with generic interests (ex. a sport) would hurt as long as you know something about it.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:01 pm

0 and 16 wrote:Let me clarify. I like sports. I played as a D. III athlete as an undergrad. and in law school participate in intramural sports. I do not need a separate "interests" section to convey an involvement in sports. The same goes for most of my other interests outside of law school.

These should be in the interests section. LOL @ you if you put "intramural sports" as a law school activity.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:02 pm

seatown12 wrote:
LOL @ you if you put "intramural sports" as a law school activity.

+1

Return to “Legal Employment”