Interests Section?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Interests section on resume?

Yes
50
54%
No
13
14%
Yes, if you actually have something interesting
29
32%
 
Total votes: 92

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13910
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Interests Section?

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I play ice hockey. I've played recreationally for 10 years. I can talk about game strategy, tournaments and cities in which I've played, why I prefer men's/coed to women's leagues, and why I use composite one-piece sticks. I will never play in the NHL ("expert"), but it's a legitimate interest.
Total thread derail: Is one reason because they can't check/hit? I'm a female who has gotten seriously into hockey in the last few years and was super depressed to learn that (at least in the leagues in my area), checking/hits are illegal in the women's league.
All the rec leagues in my area (as well as all the tourneys in the PNW that I've played in) have been non-checking. There's too wide a range in skill level, size and strength in the lower leagues to allow people to purposely hit each other. (In our higher leagues, made of guys who played college/juniors/lower minors, they let them get away with a lot more physical contact.) I know 5'3" women who play with 6'7" guys--checking is just flat-out unsafe in that situation. And there are pretty small men in the leagues, too, who wouldn't survive full checking. Especially consider that most rec-leaguers (at least around here) either didn't grow up playing organized hockey at all, or didn't stay in boys' hockey past pee-wees when they're taught how to give and receive a check.

That's not to say there's no contact, obviously. It's not possible to play hockey without running into each other and physically muscling each other around. But you can't line someone up and take them out (without getting a penalty).

So no, that's not the reason I don't like women's hockey as much. :P It's almost entirely for social reasons. The women players in my city are very clique-y, and if you don't ALWAYS play exclusively with them, you're on the outside of the gang and will feel like an outsider. They get pissy over the smallest things, and will hold grudges for literally years. When they venture to play in the men's league (like right now there's an all-female team in one of my men's leagues), they play cheap and dirty hockey (lots of holding, elbows, and slashing), and bitch and moan if they don't get away with it. And they think I'm retarded for preferring to play with the guys, so I get a weird attitude from them. I usually play in 1 or 2 tourneys a year with the women just to keep my name around, but I love my guys. :wink:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Interests Section?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:04 pm

On a scale of 1-10, how toolish is the following interest:

"Anything and everything Abraham Lincoln"

I'm a pretty big Lincoln-phile even though I wouldnt normally come across as such (i.e. don't have a beard like some of the true whackadoos).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Interests Section?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:On a scale of 1-10, how toolish is the following interest:

"Anything and everything Abraham Lincoln"

I'm a pretty big Lincoln-phile even though I wouldnt normally come across as such (i.e. don't have a beard like some of the true whackadoos).


I actually included "Presidential History and Theodore Roosevelt" as an interest, and it got a few (positive) questions during interviews. The "anything and everything" is a bit much, but I'd absolutely include that in an interests list.

Aston2412
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Interests Section?

Postby Aston2412 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:00 pm

I'm well versed in the internal anatomy of a dragon, including its musculature, nervous system and bone structure. I declined to put that as an interest on my resume. Think I made a mistake?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13910
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Interests Section?

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:On a scale of 1-10, how toolish is the following interest:

"Anything and everything Abraham Lincoln"

I'm a pretty big Lincoln-phile even though I wouldnt normally come across as such (i.e. don't have a beard like some of the true whackadoos).
I wouldn't phrase it as "anything and everything," but I think it's a legitimate interest. Maybe something a little more 'scholarly' sounding like "American Civil War history; specifically, Abraham Lincoln."

User avatar
leobowski
Posts: 511
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:11 am

Re: Interests Section?

Postby leobowski » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:38 am

Aston2412 wrote:I'm well versed in the internal anatomy of a dragon, including its musculature, nervous system and bone structure. I declined to put that as an interest on my resume. Think I made a mistake?


Troll post? Or serious? If this is serious, youdunfuckedup.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Interests Section?

Postby Lawquacious » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:47 am

.

Hadlendale
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 2:00 pm

Re: Interests Section?

Postby Hadlendale » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:15 am

Aston2412 wrote:I'm well versed in the internal anatomy of a dragon, including its musculature, nervous system and bone structure. I declined to put that as an interest on my resume. Think I made a mistake?


dragon

You sir, made the correct decision.

User avatar
0 and 16
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:17 pm

Re: Interests Section?

Postby 0 and 16 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:06 am

If your interests don't come through in your extracurricular activities, then you're trying too hard.

User avatar
California Babe
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:45 am

Re: Interests Section?

Postby California Babe » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:18 am

0 and 16 wrote:If your interests don't come through in your extracurricular activities, then you're trying too hard.


You're only interested in things you do in conjunction with your law school? You sound terribly boring.

User avatar
0 and 16
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:17 pm

Re: Interests Section?

Postby 0 and 16 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:35 am

California Babe wrote:
0 and 16 wrote:If your interests don't come through in your extracurricular activities, then you're trying too hard.


You're only interested in things you do in conjunction with your law school? You sound terribly boring.


Let me clarify. I like sports. I played as a D. III athlete as an undergrad. and in law school participate in intramural sports. I do not need a separate "interests" section to convey an involvement in sports. The same goes for most of my other interests outside of law school.

User avatar
California Babe
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:45 am

Re: Interests Section?

Postby California Babe » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:44 am

0 and 16 wrote:
California Babe wrote:
0 and 16 wrote:If your interests don't come through in your extracurricular activities, then you're trying too hard.


You're only interested in things you do in conjunction with your law school? You sound terribly boring.


Let me clarify. I like sports. I played as a D. III athlete as an undergrad. and in law school participate in intramural sports. I do not need a separate "interests" section to convey an involvement in sports. The same goes for most of my other interests outside of law school.


One of my interests is nature traveling (famous parks, hiking, etc.). Am I "trying too hard" because I have not joined a nature traveling club at my law school? Does it matter that there aren't any nature traveling clubs? Should I start a Nature Traveling Law Society so that I don't need an interests section?

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Interests Section?

Postby Cupidity » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:59 am

Back to the intitial topic, assuming you decide to put an interests topic, is it better to show consistency or diversity of interests?

Example (And try not to judge the weakness of these in particular, I just wrote this quick):

Consistency: College Hockey, Professional Football, Semi-Professional Running

Diversity: Acoustic Guitar, Sportsfishing, French Cooking, Shakespeare

Aston2412
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Interests Section?

Postby Aston2412 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:19 am

Diversity - you'll establish a broad base and will be more likely to connect with interviewers.

If one person likes a sports, its likely they have at least some knowledge of another sport and can discuss it with you to a point.

If you wind up with an interviewer who has never watched ESPN but saw Julie & Julia five times in theaters, guess what? Your diversity allocation just gave you something to talk about, where otherwise you wouldn't have it.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Interests Section?

Postby bdubs » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:21 am

Aston2412 wrote:Diversity - you'll establish a broad base and will be more likely to connect with interviewers.

If one person likes a sports, its likely they have at least some knowledge of another sport and can discuss it with you to a point.

If you wind up with an interviewer who has never watched ESPN but saw Julie & Julia five times in theaters, guess what? Your diversity allocation just gave you something to talk about, where otherwise you wouldn't have it.


+1 - Real diversity will help you connect with interviewers. Your consistency/authenticity needs to come through in the conversations that follow in the interview.

User avatar
ebeth
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:51 am

Re: Interests Section?

Postby ebeth » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:07 am

This is random, but how do you guys feel about listing a Confederate general, specifically Stonewall Jackson? I quoted him in an admissions essay I sent to one school and some of my friends who read it said that was a poor choice. Obviously I don't support the Confederate cause, but he's such a neat historical figure (as anyone who's read about him would know).

User avatar
California Babe
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:45 am

Re: Interests Section?

Postby California Babe » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:10 am

ebeth wrote:This is random, but how do you guys feel about listing a Confederate general, specifically Stonewall Jackson? I quoted him in an admissions essay I sent to one school and some of my friends who read it said that was a poor choice. Obviously I don't support the Confederate cause, but he's such a neat historical figure (as anyone who's read about him would know).


The number one rule of getting a job is do not give anyone any reason to not like you.

User avatar
ebeth
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:51 am

Re: Interests Section?

Postby ebeth » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:12 am

California Babe wrote:
ebeth wrote:This is random, but how do you guys feel about listing a Confederate general, specifically Stonewall Jackson? I quoted him in an admissions essay I sent to one school and some of my friends who read it said that was a poor choice. Obviously I don't support the Confederate cause, but he's such a neat historical figure (as anyone who's read about him would know).


The number one rule of getting a job is do not give anyone any reason to not like you.

Good call. Thanks.

User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: Interests Section?

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:16 am

ebeth wrote:This is random, but how do you guys feel about listing a Confederate general, specifically Stonewall Jackson? I quoted him in an admissions essay I sent to one school and some of my friends who read it said that was a poor choice. Obviously I don't support the Confederate cause, but he's such a neat historical figure (as anyone who's read about him would know).


I think if you know anything about the Civil War its not offensive. Jackson is the Confederate general I have the most respect for. But for someone that doesn't know anything about the war I think it might be a problem. Just put Civil War history or something without naming him specifically.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Interests Section?

Postby Cupidity » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:17 am

Kilpatrick wrote:
ebeth wrote:This is random, but how do you guys feel about listing a Confederate general, specifically Stonewall Jackson? I quoted him in an admissions essay I sent to one school and some of my friends who read it said that was a poor choice. Obviously I don't support the Confederate cause, but he's such a neat historical figure (as anyone who's read about him would know).


I think if you know anything about the Civil War its not offensive. Jackson is the Confederate general I have the most respect for. But for someone that doesn't know anything about the war I think it might be a problem. Just put Civil War history or something without naming him specifically.


Good suggestion. And honestly, the odds of making a connection with someone based on "Stonewall Jackson" is going to be insanely improbable, while a broader "Military History," might snag a decent handful. Simmilar reasoning went into my decision to List "Science Fiction Literature," rather than "Kurt Vonnegut" or "Isaac Asimov."

User avatar
ebeth
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:51 am

Re: Interests Section?

Postby ebeth » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:21 am

Cupidity wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:
ebeth wrote:This is random, but how do you guys feel about listing a Confederate general, specifically Stonewall Jackson? I quoted him in an admissions essay I sent to one school and some of my friends who read it said that was a poor choice. Obviously I don't support the Confederate cause, but he's such a neat historical figure (as anyone who's read about him would know).


I think if you know anything about the Civil War its not offensive. Jackson is the Confederate general I have the most respect for. But for someone that doesn't know anything about the war I think it might be a problem. Just put Civil War history or something without naming him specifically.


Good suggestion. And honestly, the odds of making a connection with someone based on "Stonewall Jackson" is going to be insanely improbable, while a broader "Military History," might snag a decent handful. Simmilar reasoning went into my
decision to List "Science Fiction Literature," rather than "Kurt Vonnegut" or "Isaac Asimov."

thanks for the replies. I just have american civil war listed now and i'll keep it that way.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Interests Section?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:22 am

0 and 16 wrote:If your interests don't come through in your extracurricular activities, then you're trying too hard.


lolwut?

User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: Interests Section?

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:30 am

ebeth wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:
ebeth wrote:This is random, but how do you guys feel about listing a Confederate general, specifically Stonewall Jackson? I quoted him in an admissions essay I sent to one school and some of my friends who read it said that was a poor choice. Obviously I don't support the Confederate cause, but he's such a neat historical figure (as anyone who's read about him would know).


I think if you know anything about the Civil War its not offensive. Jackson is the Confederate general I have the most respect for. But for someone that doesn't know anything about the war I think it might be a problem. Just put Civil War history or something without naming him specifically.


Good suggestion. And honestly, the odds of making a connection with someone based on "Stonewall Jackson" is going to be insanely improbable, while a broader "Military History," might snag a decent handful. Simmilar reasoning went into my
decision to List "Science Fiction Literature," rather than "Kurt Vonnegut" or "Isaac Asimov."

thanks for the replies. I just have american civil war listed now and i'll keep it that way.


If applying in the South change this to the War of Northern Aggression

Aston2412
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Interests Section?

Postby Aston2412 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:15 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
If applying in the South change this to the War of Northern Aggression



+1

LS18
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:20 pm

Re: Interests Section?

Postby LS18 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:40 pm

where are you guys placing interests on your resume? I don't have room for a whole new section, so I figured I'd combine it with volunteering/community work. Is it ok to just have one bullet point listing 3-4 interests?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.