Joining multiple journals

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How many journals should you join?

15%
79%
No votes
6%

Total votes: 34

Anonymous User

Joining multiple journals

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:29 pm

Good idea? Bad idea?

mths

Re: Joining multiple journals

Postby mths » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:06 pm

can you even join more than one?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:27 pm

mths wrote:can you even join more than one?

Yes. You can generally join as many as you'd like unless a journal has a policy against it.

OnceUponAMemo

Postby OnceUponAMemo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:38 pm

You can join more than one at many schools, but it's a terrible idea. Instead of being on 2 journals and having far more work to do, use that time to become an editor of whichever journal you prefer.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:59 pm

And if you did two and niether were Law Review, that would just bring even more attention to the fact that you wish you made Law Review.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:26 pm

I know someone in my class who did two. It was kind of dumb imo, but law firms seem to like it during OCI. It didn't seem like a ton of work since neither of the journals required her to actually write something publishable (I think the requirement for one was just an idea and the other required an outline, but neither required actually writing out anything). She did do a lot of bullshit though (source gathering, cite checking, random journal events, etc).

studebaker07

Postby studebaker07 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:33 pm

Do one journal, do it well, and profit.

If you really want to do something else in addition to the journal, do an externship. In my opinion, if you are already on one journal, you will get the typical "journal experience" by being part of that one journal. With the time you have from not doing two journals (which may be limited anyways), do an externship to beef up your resume.

Return to “Legal Employment”