Accepting an Offer from Another Firm Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Accepting an Offer from Another Firm

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:37 pm

I am a rising 3L working as a summer associate at a V10 firm in NYC. I will likely get an offer at the end of the summer, but I don't want to work at my current firm after graduation. I am planning on interviewing at other firms this fall.

It's a delicate subject and I'm not sure that telling the firm, at the outset, that I am interviewing elsewhere is the appropriate approach. I wanted to know if anyone on here has any experience with accepting an offer from a firm only to turn it down later in the year once they've gotten an offer somewhere else. Are there any downsides to turning down an offer after you've already accepted? Are there other viable approaches that I'm not considering?

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Re: Accepting an Offer from Another Firm

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:39 pm

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Would you also feel bad about lateraling to a different firm after a few years of practice?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”