Need Job-Finding Strategy Help Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Need Job-Finding Strategy Help

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:06 pm

Here's the stitch:
I am a rising 2L at a mid-T1. My GPA is atrocious (okay, could be worse, but atrocious comparatively): a measly 3.1, with the curve set at 3.3. (I still haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong on exams, which is the most frustrating thing of all of law school.) I decided not to apply for journal because I felt that I would hate it too much to be any real worth to me, and I'd rather commit time to doing things like clinic, appellate advocacy, legal aid volunteering, whatever. I have a decent internship in DC with a nonprofit this summer with some decent experience. Good undergrad exp and gpa, although I realize that doesn't matter much.

The good news is that I want to go into public interest, so my grade is not as big of a dinger as it would be for Biglaw. But I know that a sucky GPA and no journal is going to seriously be a detriment to me.

I'm feeling awfully negative and despair-y about my situation, as if applying to anything is futile, but I know it could be worse. Any advice, suggestions, etc.? I am just not sure how to go about showing my ability as lawyer-to-be with a less-than-stellar GPA and no journal...

Return to “Legal Employment”