Paying Off Loans as Signing Bonus

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Pricer

Paying Off Loans as Signing Bonus

Postby Pricer » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:51 pm

Has anyone ever heard of law firms paying off debts for new associates? I don't mean a $20-25k signing bonus or anything, I mean loans totaling $100k+. I was under the impression that the $160k market salary was that high because of the debt that must be accrued at law school. I have never read on this website or any other website that firms will pay off large amounts of law school debt for new associates, but I continue to hear anecdotal stories from less than reliable sources (i.e. my mom, who told me that Mercer was as good as UT because they cost near the same). I haven't bought into this, but I figured I'd pose the question on the forums anyway just to confirm my beliefs. If this is a (un)common occurrence, is it usually biglaw firms or boutique firms who do this? What firms have you heard of doing it?

rayiner

Re: Paying Off Loans as Signing Bonus

Postby rayiner » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:54 pm

The big NYC places don't even give you a signing bonus or bar stipend.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:56 pm

How would BigLaw even get you to work there if you didn't have six figures of debt to pay off

luthersloan

Postby luthersloan » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:13 pm

Yeah, I saw the Firm too. On the birigh side, if you score a SCOTUS clerkship, a firm will give you a big enough bonus to pay off you loans, as long as you are under 200K.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:15 pm

The firm of Billups, Edwards, Tanner and Andrews gives huge signing bonuses. Only thing is you have to pay it back if you leave before 4 years.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:40 pm

rayiner wrote:The big NYC places don't even give you a signing bonus or bar stipend.

But do usually give an advance and a stub year bonus, from what I've heard, which works out to about the same difference.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:42 pm

thesealocust wrote:
rayiner wrote:The big NYC places don't even give you a signing bonus or bar stipend.

But do usually give an advance and a stub year bonus, from what I've heard, which works out to about the same difference.

Not even close. Stub bonuses this year were $2,500. Kirkland pays $10,000 bar stipend, and Latham pays $13,333.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:04 pm

rayiner wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

Not even close. Stub bonuses this year were $2,500. Kirkland pays $10,000 bar stipend, and Latham pays $13,333.

D'oh

Return to “Legal Employment”