How to list a clinic on a resume?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to list a clinic on a resume?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:16 pm

[Anon in case I need to explain the clinic in more detail later--it is not a very generic one]

I am doing a clinic in the fall. I want to put it under the "experience" portion of my resume. I am not sure what to put for employer or what to put for job title.
Putting "University of __________ Law ________ Clinic" seems way too long/ridic on my resume. Technically, the faculty member in charge of the clinic works for a legal aid thing, but putting that seems misleading.
Putting "student" as job title also seems incorrect.

What is the proper way to list it?

Anonymous User

Re: How to list a clinic on a resume?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:19 pm

Just put it under activities, seeing as you haven't done the clinic yet so its a bit odd to be putting it under "experience". They will likely ask you about it during interviews anyway, so you will get a chance to talk about the experience you will have. Or you can find a way to work the conversation toward the clinic to talk about it. But I wouldn't put anything under "experience" that you haven't actually done yet

warumnicht

Postby warumnicht » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:20 pm

University of ___ Law ____ Clinic seems just fine to me. Put "student attorney" as job title.

Alternatively, list it under "education," where you'd put a journal. That's what I did, primarily because the clinic hadn't started at the time and i wasn't sure what the description would be, and also because I had plenty of things under "experience" already.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just put it under activities, seeing as you haven't done the clinic yet so its a bit odd to be putting it under "experience". They will likely ask you about it during interviews anyway, so you will get a chance to talk about the experience you will have. Or you can find a way to work the conversation toward the clinic to talk about it. But I wouldn't put anything under "experience" that you haven't actually done yet

LCS told us to put it there because we will be doing it at the time we are interviewed.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:25 pm

I had "XXX Clinic (Spring, 2011)" under my Law School Activities section. My CDO told me to take it off, and said that it was not appropriate to put down things that you hadn't done in any circumstances. They said that if I wanted to get some milage out of it, to put it in my cover-letters or discuss it in interviews.

dusk2k2

Postby dusk2k2 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:37 am

Is the general thought NOT to list clinic on resume since we haven't done anything yet.

Marley

Postby Marley » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:38 am

dusk2k2 wrote:Is the general thought NOT to list clinic on resume since we haven't done anything yet.

I don't understand this logic. Are we not to put law review on our resume either?

dusk2k2

Postby dusk2k2 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:40 am

So I should put my clinic on the resume?

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:45 am

Yes.

Just don't list it under "experience" yet because you have no experience in it.

Return to “Legal Employment”