quick question on fitzpatrick

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ajmax8

quick question on fitzpatrick

Postby ajmax8 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:12 pm

I'm bidding on them for gw's oci. I know, from looking at their firm, that most of their lawyers are in ny. From the nalp directory, it seems like 18 summered in ny and 10 in dc, with 15 offers given in ny and 4 given in dc. maybe this question is simple, but is it easy to say that this means that a bid on their dc office is "wasted" - i.e. much more competitive? i've got a materials engineering degree fwiw and transferred up (i realize this may make my question easier to answer, but I'm asking more about comparing the offices)

ajmax8

Re: quick question on fitzpatrick

Postby ajmax8 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:38 pm

no one with an ip background or knowledge on the subject on here right now? Too soon?

Eco

Postby Eco » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:42 pm

You have an IP background, so bid on every single one of those firms asking for that. If you noticed, they don't even ask for much in stats (I saw most of them asking for at least a 3.0 gpa). I think you'll be fine regardless of where your GPA is at. There's no harm in bidding on them, when you get multiple offers you can pick which firm you want, and if all you get is fitzpatrick, then well your choice has already been made for you.

ajmax8

Postby ajmax8 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:38 pm

Eco wrote:You have an IP background, so bid on every single one of those firms asking for that. If you noticed, they don't even ask for much in stats (I saw most of them asking for at least a 3.0 gpa). I think you'll be fine regardless of where your GPA is at. There's no harm in bidding on them, when you get multiple offers you can pick which firm you want, and if all you get is fitzpatrick, then well your choice has already been made for you.

thanks for the reply. I am bidding on all the ip only firms, but I guess I'm asking a more general question directed towards fitzpatrick, (or maybe any firm's ip practice), where their ny summer class is much larger.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:47 pm

can you bid on both DC and NY?

ajmax8

Postby ajmax8 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:49 pm

englawyer wrote:can you bid on both DC and NY?

yes I can. Maybe my noobness shows here, but I feel like because I am writing a cover letter for them, I would have to write two cover letters, one saying i want to be in ny, and the other saying i want to be in dc (which I would prefer). That doesn't seem right, but regardless, I'm not sure what I do if I am lucky enough to get both, and I show up at both interviews (assumptions aside). I think it's the same people looking at both cover letters, so I don't think they would like that, but I could be wrong. their ny office is much bigger than dc, but I have all the ties to dc and none to ny, so I am erring on the side of going with the bigger summer class size. thoughts?

ajmax8

Postby ajmax8 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:56 pm

ajmax8 wrote:
englawyer wrote:can you bid on both DC and NY?

yes I can. Maybe my noobness shows here, but I feel like because I am writing a cover letter for them, I would have to write two cover letters, one saying i want to be in ny, and the other saying i want to be in dc (which I would prefer). That doesn't seem right, but regardless, I'm not sure what I do if I am lucky enough to get both, and I show up at both interviews (assumptions aside). I think it's the same people looking at both cover letters, so I don't think they would like that, but I could be wrong. their ny office is much bigger than dc, but I have all the ties to dc and none to ny, so I am erring on the side of going with the bigger summer class size. thoughts?

or do i write one cover letter for both? Now that confuses things even more for me. I would write saying I am interested in both offices?

Return to “Legal Employment”