Anyone Else Feel Douchey About Networking?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Anyone Else Feel Douchey About Networking?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:15 pm

:oops:

vb007

Re: Anyone Else Feel Douchey About Networking?

Postby vb007 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:27 pm

Nah, you just need to get used to it. I never networked before law school, but I have relied on it while I've been a student. If you just talk to a bunch of attorneys, you'll find that a lot of them are really nice and willing to give you advice. If you take the time to keep them in the loop about how things are going with you and take what they say to heart, you can develop a real connection that is meaningful for both parties. The reason they attend the networking events where you meet them is because they want to form these kinds of relationships. Networking has allowed me to have a group of attorneys who I can e-mail or call whenever I need advice or any other kind of help. And, yes, I also feel completely comfortable hitting up these people for help finding a job and I feel like they would make an effort to find me something (some already have).

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:31 pm

Getting over this will help your forever and ever. Start by genuinely giving a fuck. You're chatting someone up, so try to find something about them that's sincerely interesting. Change your mindset from "trying to impress this guy" to "trying to make a new friend and have a good conversation."

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:00 pm

IAFG wrote:Getting over this will help your forever and ever. Start by genuinely giving a fuck. You're chatting someone up, so try to find something about them that's sincerely interesting. Change your mindset from "trying to impress this guy" to "trying to make a new friend and have a good conversation."

Don't forget that networks are bi-lateral. Even with older contacts, you can be helpful too. I've had contacts get in touch asking if I knew any young engineers with particular skills their company needed.

Return to “Legal Employment”