Sending Diversity Statement to Firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Sending Diversity Statement to Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:32 pm

Hello,

I am URM who is thinking of mass mailing quite a few firms. Would it be acceptable to send a short note describing my diversity or how would I be able to show that information aside from being a member of minority organizations at my law school?

Thx for the help.

Anonymous User

Re: Sending Diversity Statement to Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello,

I am URM who is thinking of mass mailing quite a few firms. Would it be acceptable to send a short note describing my diversity or how would I be able to show that information aside from being a member of minority organizations at my law school?

Thx for the help.

Just put the diversity organizations, languages you speak, etc. on your resume. That will make it sufficiently clear. I don't think they will have time to start reading statements that people send in when they are drowning in job applications.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:36 pm

I would say you should work it into your cover letter. Something like "As a [insert racial group] [insert gender], I feel that [firm name] would be an excellent place to work because of its proven commitment to diversity. [Insert sentence about diversity initiative that every firm seems to have]"

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:37 pm

Thx for the help.

I wouldn't go beyond mentioning the minority organization. That will get the point across to firms that value diversity. More and it may seem like entitlement, and a quick look around this forum and AA will show what a lot of firm lawyers and wannabes think about affirmative action.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:41 pm

Let your numbers speak for themselves.

Diversity is important, but you should let your numbers speak for you.
For example, a top 30% standing in your class, Moot Court, Law review and participation within minority organizations presents an attractive and competitive resume.

What exactly do you mean by a diversity statement?
Do you plan to send out a statement saying you should hire me because I'm pink?

If so, that is probably not a good idea.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:47 pm

TTH wrote:

Thx for the help.

I wouldn't go beyond mentioning the minority organization. That will get the point across to firms that value diversity. More and it may seem like entitlement, and a quick look around this forum and AA will show what a lot of firm lawyers and wannabes think about affirmative action.

Absolutely agree with this. Just because the firm's website says how much they love and value diversity doesn't mean that the guy who gets your application package will personally be receptive to your appeal to diversity as a selling point. So you don't want to overdo it. For example, if you are hispanic, and put that you were president of the Latino Law Students Association, and list "fluent in Spanish" under your relevant skills, what more could you possibly need?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:47 pm

TTH wrote:

Thx for the help.

Agree in re TTHs concern that it may come off as entitled, though I think that a sentence like bdubs has wouldn't be taking it too far.

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:23 pm

rad law wrote:
TTH wrote:

Thx for the help.

Agree in re TTHs concern that it may come off as entitled, though I think that a sentence like bdubs has wouldn't be taking it too far.

Yeah, I think bdubs' sentence is okay, but I certainly wouldn't take it further than that. And if you don't need to (i.e. you have an ethnic name, minority orgs, etc.), I prolly wouldn't go that far.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:42 pm

TTH wrote:
rad law wrote:
TTH wrote:

Thx for the help.

Yeah, I think bdubs' sentence is okay, but I certainly wouldn't take it further than that. And if you don't need to (i.e. you have an ethnic name, minority orgs, etc.), I prolly wouldn't go that far.

I think even that might be taking it too far. If I ever saw someone start a sentence with: "As an educated black female, ..." my mind goes straight to this:

--ImageRemoved--

i know it's bad, but i doubt a firm's hiring committee would see it differently. what could be done, though, is if you somehow interwove it with a leadership/legal activity—something along the lines of "as a member of blsa, i've volunteered in several community outreaches that served predominantly inner-city AA families. as such, your firm's commitment to diversity yada yada yada"

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:21 pm

TTH wrote:
rad law wrote:
TTH wrote:

Thx for the help.

I sent something similar to what bdubs wrote to a hiring manager because I inquired about any diversity programs for 2Ls that the firm was involved with. Their NALP site said they participated in various ways but I was unable to find anything they were involved in concerning diversity. It has been four days since I sent the email, and no response. Im pretty worried the email might have rubbed her the wrong way, but nothing in the email I sent screamed or even hinted of entitlement - I just wanted to get as many looks as possible from the firm since its one of the top dogs in the state. Really worried I blew it. :|

Return to “Legal Employment”