Transfer bid list help!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How's it look?

Worst ever!
No votes
Might get a job
No votes

Total votes: 0

Anonymous User

Transfer bid list help!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:06 pm

I know there is another thread for this information, but I wanted to see if I could grab the attention of any transfers. I'm transferring to a T10 school with a gpa of 3.8x at my prior T2 school and a ranking in the top 5 students. This is the bid list I have come up with... All firms are NYC unless noted. Help me make it good?

1 DPW
2 Paul Weiss
3 Shearman & Sterling
4 White & Case
5 Cadwalader
6 Duane Morris, Philly
7 Pepper Hamilton, Philly
8 Drinker Biddle, Philly
9 Sullivan & Cromwell
10 Cleary
11 Simpson Thatcher
12 Debevoise
13 Milbank
14 Dewey & Leboeuf
15 Skadden
16 Latham & Watkins
17 Cravath
18 Hughes Hubbard
19 Schulte Roth & Zabel
20 Weil
21 Jones Day
22 Proskauer
23 Boies
24 Kramer Levin
25 Strook & Strook
26 Kirkland & Ellis
27. Cahill Gordon
28. Reed Smith Philly
29. Blank Rome Philly

Please shred away!

Helmholtz

Re: Transfer bid list help!

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know there is another thread for this information, but I wanted to see if I could grab the attention of any transfers. I'm transferring to a T10 school with a gpa of 3.8x at my prior T2 school and a ranking in the top 5 students. This is the bid list I have come up with... All firms are NYC unless noted. Help me make it good?

1 DPW
2 Paul Weiss
3 Shearman & Sterling
4 White & Case
5 Cadwalader
6 Duane Morris, Philly
7 Pepper Hamilton, Philly
8 Drinker Biddle, Philly
9 Sullivan & Cromwell
10 Cleary
11 Simpson Thatcher
12 Debevoise
13 Milbank
14 Dewey & Leboeuf
15 Skadden
16 Latham & Watkins
17 Cravath
18 Hughes Hubbard
19 Schulte Roth & Zabel
20 Weil
21 Jones Day
22 Proskauer
23 Boies
24 Kramer Levin
25 Strook & Strook
26 Kirkland & Ellis
27. Cahill Gordon
28. Reed Smith Philly
29. Blank Rome Philly

Please shred away!

It would help to know which school (I'm guessing Penn considering the firms that you have listed as coming and the "T10" designation) but in general, I don't think DPW needs to be #1--it's pretty selective on the GPA front and the majority of students are going to (rightfully) recognize that it's out of their range and either not bid at all on it or bid very low. I would also put SullCrom (and maybe Cravath) lower. I feel a little uneasy about Cadwalader, W&C, and Shearman making up the majority of your top 5, but that probably has more to do with my view of the respective firm's health and work environment. I am open to being corrected, but I wouldn't be especially comfortable starting off my career at any of those firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:19 pm

OP here. I went with my top firms because I hear they are relatively open about taking transfers, which is obviously important. Yes, I'll obviously be at Penn. Helmholtz, how would you reorder?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I went with my top firms because I hear they are relatively open about taking transfers, which is obviously important. Yes, I'll obviously be at Penn. Helmholtz, how would you reorder?

It's hard for me to personally say that SullCrom should be at slot X since I don't have a firm grasp on GPA data for Penn or how many interview slots each firm will have at OCI. Personally, I would be a little worried about splitting my top 8 spots 5/3.

Return to “Legal Employment”