Expensive, not-very-promising interview - what do, 3Ls? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Expensive, not-very-promising interview - what do, 3Ls?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:26 am

Do firms pick people just to fill a slot at job fairs and such? Debating whether to decline a screener that will cost about me $1000 with a firm that very probably will not call me back. I suspect they only picked me because I'm IP and there weren't enough decent IP people in the program to fill every slot they had. I like the firm, but I don't want to spend the money and burn 2 days if they're only going to end up hiring a median kid from GTown with just a bio degree or something. TTT25, good but not great grades, mediocre tech background with mediocre UG grades, so they probably weren't thinking I'd be a good prosecution jockey (sadly). I'd be in OMG I have to take every interview mode, but I have a lot lines up before OCI even starts. I'll probably do it if there's any chance, but if there isn't... I seriously doubt that this would be the firm to reach out and save me if nothing else comes through(good firm but not a massive class size, and If I can't get some of the others because of credentials I sure as he'll ain't getting this one). It would just be a place I'd pick over some of the other firms I'm interviewing with.

I know the drill about hiring, I'm a regular - I just want to know whether I should suck it up because there's more than a negligible chance, or whether the 1000 would be better spent paying off loans when I'm inevitably consigned to amberlamps chasin'.

Eco

Bronze

Re: Expensive, not-very-promising interview - what do, 3Ls?

Post by Eco » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:35 am

Why would an interview cost you $1,000?

Wahoo1L

New

Post by Wahoo1L » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:43 am

Doesn't seem worth it if it will actually cost you $1,000 and you have a minimal shot of getting the job. If this were a clerkship that you really wanted, then I could see doing it, but not for a screener.

Why don't you see if they'll give you a phone interview?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:32 pm

Wahoo1L wrote:Doesn't seem worth it if it will actually cost you $1,000 and you have a minimal shot of getting the job. If this were a clerkship that you really wanted, then I could see doing it, but not for a screener.

Why don't you see if they'll give you a phone interview?
Or videoconference, even. My school's law library is set up for videoconference and I know a few students interviewed with out of town firms that way.

warumnicht

New

Post by warumnicht » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do firms pick people just to fill a slot at job fairs and such? Debating whether to decline a screener that will cost about me $1000 with a firm that very probably will not call me back. I suspect they only picked me because I'm IP and there weren't enough decent IP people in the program to fill every slot they had. I like the firm, but I don't want to spend the money and burn 2 days if they're only going to end up hiring a median kid from GTown with just a bio degree or something. TTT25, good but not great grades, mediocre tech background with mediocre UG grades, so they probably weren't thinking I'd be a good prosecution jockey (sadly). I'd be in OMG I have to take every interview mode, but I have a lot lines up before OCI even starts. I'll probably do it if there's any chance, but if there isn't... I seriously doubt that this would be the firm to reach out and save me if nothing else comes through(good firm but not a massive class size, and If I can't get some of the others because of credentials I sure as he'll ain't getting this one). It would just be a place I'd pick over some of the other firms I'm interviewing with.

I know the drill about hiring, I'm a regular - I just want to know whether I should suck it up because there's more than a negligible chance, or whether the 1000 would be better spent paying off loans when I'm inevitably consigned to amberlamps chasin'.
If you have a lot of interviews lined up already, I'd save the $1000. That's a lot even for a cross-country flight.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:50 pm

If the firm won't comp you for a callback interview, then they probably won't hire you, either.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Silver

Post by IrwinM.Fletcher » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:57 pm

Good god that's an expensive flight.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:26 pm

Not a callback, just a screener through an offcampus program. Short notice = expensive flight, plus hotel, plus the money I lose by not working those two days. Not a bad suggestion, I'll look into that. I won't be working for them outside of this interview anyway so may as well risk offending them or seeming disinterested. If they don't get why I'd be reluctant to spend that much when I'm far from a sure shot, dunno if I'd want to work there anyway.

Edit: plus food, plus at least a tank of gas to drive to a major city for the flight and then paying for airport parking. May be closer to 800, but even then... that's a lot when you and everyone you know is poor, y'know? :?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”