Associate Hours Worked Field - NALP Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Associate Hours Worked Field - NALP

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:52 am

So, I noticed that there is a field in the NALP directory called "Average annual associate hours worked". It seems like many firms don't have an entry populated in this field, but the ones which do have an amount which is lower than what I'd expect. For example, here is the data from Cadwalader's NYC form:

Average annual associate hours worked: 2090 (2009) 2055 (2010)
Average annual associate billable hours: 1900 (2009) 1866 (2010)

There are two things which seem odd. First, billable hours make up over 90% of "hours worked", which seems like an impossible ratio. Second, roughly 2100 hours worked comes out to under 45 hours a week, with 4 weeks vacation. I am sure no one at Cadwalader is working under 45 hours a week on average. Does anyone know how they calculate this? It is just hours spent physically in the office, where most associates are spending another 10-15 hours a week working at home?

Unitas

Silver

Re: Associate Hours Worked Field - NALP

Post by Unitas » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, I noticed that there is a field in the NALP directory called "Average annual associate hours worked". It seems like many firms don't have an entry populated in this field, but the ones which do have an amount which is lower than what I'd expect. For example, here is the data from Cadwalader's NYC form:

Average annual associate hours worked: 2090 (2009) 2055 (2010)

There are two things which seem odd. First, billable hours make up over 90% of "hours worked", which seems like an impossible ratio. Second, roughly 2100 hours worked comes out to under 45 hours a week, with 4 weeks vacation. I am sure no one at Cadwalader is working under 45 hours a week on average. Does anyone know how they calculate this? It is just hours spent physically in the office, where most associates are spending another 10-15 hours a week working at home?

Another related question. On Cadwalader's and many other firms they have a average annual billable hours and a required billable hours. The average is often less than the required. Does this mean that, on average, associates don't make minimum billable hours? Or do the averages include part-time employees which may explain why hour worked is so low.

Is there a minimum billable hour expectation? Y
If "Yes", number: 2000

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:43 pm

Breaking news: Law firms lie; stretch truth when beneficial. More at 11.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:44 pm

thesealocust wrote:Breaking news: Law firms lie; stretch truth when beneficial. More at 11.
If this were true, firms would indicate that the average associate meets billable hours requirements though.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:47 pm

Unitas wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Breaking news: Law firms lie; stretch truth when beneficial. More at 11.
If this were true, firms would indicate that the average associate meets billable hours requirements though.
I'll mention that the next time I'm working with a Cadwalader attorney past midnight on a weeknight.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

smokyroom26

Bronze

Post by smokyroom26 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:21 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Unitas wrote:
I'll mention that the next time I'm working with a Cadwalader attorney past midnight on a weeknight.
I'd like to state for the record that I love you.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:45 pm

My guess is that "hours worked" actually comes from the associates' billables before any time was written off, and is the sum of that time plus pro bono, administration, etc. The actual number of hours the associates worked is probably quite a bit higher.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”