LOL at "government" work Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bronte

Gold

Re: LOL at "government" work

Post by Bronte » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:45 pm

I give OP props at least for starting with some hilarious stories before transitioning into outright trolling. Frankly, I think the no preaching comedy routine is a better sell. Most posters are already exposed to the basic law school scam rant.

porgie

Bronze

Post by porgie » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:49 pm

robotclubmember wrote:Interest on student loans is deductible from adjusted gross income, even on top of the standard deduction. there is your tax alleviation.
Are you saying that this already exists or that it should exist? Because I thought that only $2500 of interest on student loans is deductible, not the whole amount.....

tyro

Silver

Post by tyro » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:20 pm

robotclubmember wrote: reality =/= 160K median 98% employed. but law schools continue to sell this lie as a part of their pyramid scam.
Well I think one reason (so I've heard) for these inaccurate employment statistics is that the survey procedure in itself may cause a bias in that people who did really well in their class might be more likely to take the survey. On the other hand, as the argument goes, those who were extremely displeased with their law education or employment results may also feel an urge to take such surveys. This is the "two extremes" bias that we see all the time with product reviews. But why aren't the people who are displeased/shitlaw dragging the stats down to accurate levels?

Just wondering what people think. I'm not sure if the survey method is actually how the majority of these schools collect employment stats so I could be wrong.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:57 pm

Hyperbole aside, it's still kind of shocking how many T10 class of '10 law grads are unemployed.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:33 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:Hyperbole aside, it's still kind of shocking how many T10 class of '10 law grads are unemployed.
Hell, according to this USNews article, for even bachelors recipients of 2010, the unemployment rate is 44%:

http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/s ... -borrowers

It's a depression, people. Everyone is hurting and struggling to find employment, not just freshly minted JDs. Just how it is.

If you want to really make a difference, troll CollegeConfidential and yell at high school kids going into college for English or Philosophy. They're just as likely to accrue loans and even more likely to only find work folding clothes at the GAP.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:48 pm

crossarmant wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:Hyperbole aside, it's still kind of shocking how many T10 class of '10 law grads are unemployed.
Hell, according to this USNews article, for even bachelors recipients of 2010, the unemployment rate is 44%:

http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/s ... -borrowers

It's a depression, people. Everyone is hurting and struggling to find employment, not just freshly minted JDs. Just how it is.

If you want to really make a difference, troll CollegeConfidential and yell at high school kids going into college for English or Philosophy. They're just as likely to accrue loans and even more likely to only find work folding clothes at the GAP.
There's a difference between 4 years and 7 years of tuition. and college tuition has only inflated 91% from 1989 to 2009, whereas law school tuition has inflated 317%. law school is far more expensive. and there is a lot of personal growth for getting a degree, and it is shown that those with college degrees may start the same as those without but statistically end up much higher and it does pay off in the end, even if not in the first couple years. people going to law school almost always do it solely to learn a very niche area of knowledge and get a job.

i think it's a false analogy on a lot of levels, but that's just my view. even if it were a valid analogy it doesn't invalidate anything that's been said here. but this is not just the results of the depression and even the ABA acknowledges that.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:57 pm

LOL at this "doom and gloom" poaster. If you go to a non-accredited law school you are screwed but MOST accredited law universities you will be fine. Law school is a rewarding experience and you will find a high paying job eventually. You can easily get a good job form big-law eventually if you miss in OCI.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:58 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:LOL at this "doom and gloom" poaster. If you go to a non-accredited law school you are screwed but MOST accredited law universities you will be fine. Law school is a rewarding experience and you will find a high paying job eventually. You can easily get a good job form big-law eventually if you miss in OCI.
YAY!

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:03 am

Bronx Bum wrote:LOL at this "doom and gloom" poaster. If you go to a non-accredited law school you are screwed but MOST accredited law universities you will be fine. Law school is a rewarding experience and you will find a high paying job eventually. You can easily get a good job form big-law eventually if you miss in OCI.
hahahahaha i love you man

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:09 am

Bronte wrote:I give OP props at least for starting with some hilarious stories before transitioning into outright trolling. Frankly, I think the no preaching comedy routine is a better sell. Most posters are already exposed to the basic law school scam rant.
This. Everyone knows how bad it is - but the stories that the OP told at least granted insight into the madness, rather than just spouting off the same things we can pick up in any ITE thread.

fanmingrui

Bronze

Post by fanmingrui » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:43 am

You sound a lot like red_alertz...

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:29 am

This is probably bad enough to be banned. There are 0Ls reading this shit.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:02 am

Posts like this make me appreciate posts like the OPs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

legalresearch

New

Post by legalresearch » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:27 am

Cavalier wrote:I don't like this thread so I'm going to think about models and bottles.

--ImageRemoved--
Love Asian Models!

This is why I'm Big Law or bust! Screw government work after law school.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:17 am

romothesavior wrote:
Posts like this make me appreciate posts like the OPs.
Yeah. Running the gamut of retard itt.

HarveyBirdman

New

Post by HarveyBirdman » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:42 pm

Government labor laws prevent firms from hiring attorneys at no salary...well let me ask, bathed in naivety, how unpaid internships are then legal, and how such a position with a firm could be classified as an unpaid internship. I also don't see how the statement "the government is excluded from its own rules" makes any sense at all. But I'm here to learn.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:00 pm

HarveyBirdman wrote:Government labor laws prevent firms from hiring attorneys at no salary...well let me ask, bathed in naivety, how unpaid internships are then legal, and how such a position with a firm could be classified as an unpaid internship. I also don't see how the statement "the government is excluded from its own rules" makes any sense at all. But I'm here to learn.
1. Government are exempt. NGOs can have as many unpaid 'volunteers' as they want.

2. unpaid internships at for-profit organizations are legal IF they follow the guidelines set forth by the department of labor. One of those requirements is that the organization not profit off the intern. If they are using interns as a substitute for paid employees, that is illegal.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:17 pm

dresden doll wrote:
areyouinsane wrote:
Making loans dischargeable is only going to lead to a terrible string of bankruptcies hurting everyone because every 24 year old Tom, Dick, and Harry would rather try and build credit back up than pay $200k. Also, making it more difficult for students to get financing for school automatically favors those from wealthier backgrounds even more than academia already does.
How about make one forfeit their professional license in exchange for the discharge? I'd take that deal in a minute (as would many TTT grads). Or how about clawing back some of the discharged $$$ from the schools? That way, if a large portion of a schools grads defaulted, it would put the school out of business. Clawback is used all the time in other Ponzi scheme disasters, so why not law schools too?
I'd support a clawback solution.
+1

tyro

Silver

Post by tyro » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:50 pm

-

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”