A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc.

Postby stratocophic » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:follow-up E-mails after screening or callbacks?


ZBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz


~thesealocust abusin anon durnk
... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Miller32
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc.

Postby Miller32 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:48 pm

Sorry if this has already been asked, but how long does it usually take before preselects are announced? Our deadline to submit bids was yesterday. I understand its variable--but should I be thinking days or weeks?

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6374
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc.

Postby 5ky » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:07 pm

Miller32 wrote:Sorry if this has already been asked, but how long does it usually take before preselects are announced? Our deadline to submit bids was yesterday. I understand its variable--but should I be thinking days or weeks?


Ask career services or look on Symplicity.

User avatar
EijiMiyake
Posts: 277
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:29 pm

Re: A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc.

Postby EijiMiyake » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:00 pm

How much research are y'all doing on each firm? I'm basically looking through their website to see practice areas in each office and if they have any unique associate development programs. Is there anything else that I should be doing?

Will interviewers be sold on "Why X firm" with an answer that says: I talked to XYZ summers, and they loved it, and I'm also interested in XYZ practice areas, which you're strong in ?

shadow.
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:13 pm

Re: A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc.

Postby shadow. » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:05 pm

Is it necessary/good to go to each hospitality suite for which you have an interview? Or just go to the ones that you're trying to pick up an interview at?

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc.

Postby Cavalier » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:58 pm

EijiMiyake wrote:How much research are y'all doing on each firm? I'm basically looking through their website to see practice areas in each office and if they have any unique associate development programs. Is there anything else that I should be doing?

Will interviewers be sold on "Why X firm" with an answer that says: I talked to XYZ summers, and they loved it, and I'm also interested in XYZ practice areas, which you're strong in ?

That sounds fine. Make sure the particular office you're interviewing at is strong in the practice areas you express interest in. If you can't figure this out from Chambers and Vault, go to the firm's website and look at the list of attorneys in those practice areas to see if a significant number are in the office you're interviewing at. Smith & Jones may have a top notch antitrust practice, but if it's based entirely out of their DC office and you're interviewing for their NY office and you say that you're interested because of their antitrust practice, that's not going to look good. As far as "why X firm" questions, I think emphasis on practice areas is good, and follow it up with discussing what summers and/or attorneys have told you if applicable.

shadow. wrote:Is it necessary/good to go to each hospitality suite for which you have an interview? Or just go to the ones that you're trying to pick up an interview at?

Go to each suite. Some firms check to see which interviewees did and did not attend.

User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc.

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:59 pm

Cavalier wrote:
EijiMiyake wrote:How much research are y'all doing on each firm? I'm basically looking through their website to see practice areas in each office and if they have any unique associate development programs. Is there anything else that I should be doing?

Will interviewers be sold on "Why X firm" with an answer that says: I talked to XYZ summers, and they loved it, and I'm also interested in XYZ practice areas, which you're strong in ?

That sounds fine. Make sure the particular office you're interviewing at is strong in the practice areas you express interest in. If you can't figure this out from Chambers and Vault, go to the firm's website and look at the list of attorneys in those practice areas to see if a significant number are in the office you're interviewing at. Smith & Jones may have a top notch antitrust practice, but if it's based entirely out of their DC office and you're interviewing for their NY office and you say that you're interested because of their antitrust practice, that's not going to look good. As far as "why X firm" questions, I think emphasis on practice areas is good, and follow it up with discussing what summers and/or attorneys have told you if applicable.

shadow. wrote:Is it necessary/good to go to each hospitality suite for which you have an interview? Or just go to the ones that you're trying to pick up an interview at?

Go to each suite. Some firms check to see which interviewees did and did not attend.


Really? What is the hospitality suite? What are you supposed to do there?

ETA: I did a search and found out more. Still interested in tips though about what to do there.
Last edited by Kilpatrick on Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc.

Postby Cavalier » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:04 pm

Really? What is the hospitality suite? What are you supposed to do there?

Stop by, say hi, make chit chat.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:14 pm

Cavalier wrote:
EijiMiyake wrote:How much research are y'all doing on each firm? I'm basically looking through their website to see practice areas in each office and if they have any unique associate development programs. Is there anything else that I should be doing?

Will interviewers be sold on "Why X firm" with an answer that says: I talked to XYZ summers, and they loved it, and I'm also interested in XYZ practice areas, which you're strong in ?

That sounds fine. Make sure the particular office you're interviewing at is strong in the practice areas you express interest in. If you can't figure this out from Chambers and Vault, go to the firm's website and look at the list of attorneys in those practice areas to see if a significant number are in the office you're interviewing at. Smith & Jones may have a top notch antitrust practice, but if it's based entirely out of their DC office and you're interviewing for their NY office and you say that you're interested because of their antitrust practice, that's not going to look good. As far as "why X firm" questions, I think emphasis on practice areas is good, and follow it up with discussing what summers and/or attorneys have told you if applicable.



Do you have any tips if the firm scheduled you with a different office than the one you applied so they could fit you in, but you'd still be interviewing for the one you applied to. I feel like bringing up the interviewers work and practice areas could be awkward because the office I'm interviewing for doesn't do that type of work.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc.

Postby blurbz » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
EijiMiyake wrote:How much research are y'all doing on each firm? I'm basically looking through their website to see practice areas in each office and if they have any unique associate development programs. Is there anything else that I should be doing?

Will interviewers be sold on "Why X firm" with an answer that says: I talked to XYZ summers, and they loved it, and I'm also interested in XYZ practice areas, which you're strong in ?

That sounds fine. Make sure the particular office you're interviewing at is strong in the practice areas you express interest in. If you can't figure this out from Chambers and Vault, go to the firm's website and look at the list of attorneys in those practice areas to see if a significant number are in the office you're interviewing at. Smith & Jones may have a top notch antitrust practice, but if it's based entirely out of their DC office and you're interviewing for their NY office and you say that you're interested because of their antitrust practice, that's not going to look good. As far as "why X firm" questions, I think emphasis on practice areas is good, and follow it up with discussing what summers and/or attorneys have told you if applicable.



Do you have any tips if the firm scheduled you with a different office than the one you applied so they could fit you in, but you'd still be interviewing for the one you applied to. I feel like bringing up the interviewers work and practice areas could be awkward because the office I'm interviewing for doesn't do that type of work.





I think it's probably more awkward to go in and ask them about work that they don't do. They know you're interviewing for another office and they know that that office doesn't do the same work that they do. Just ask them about their interesting projects, how those projects are staffed (it's a good litmus test to discern how much responsibility associates at different levels are given) and what their experience as a summer and new associate was. They're looking to see if you are likeable.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:04 pm

Quick writing sample question.

I am working in-house at a F500 company this summer. All my work-product here is pretty sensitive- drafting regulatory filings, some "oppo research" on judges, etc. I have asked for permission to use it and been denied.

I realize it's okay to use something from LRW, but should I explain why I didn't submit something from my work this summer?

Thanks!

User avatar
starchinkilt
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:22 am

Re: A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc.

Postby starchinkilt » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Quick writing sample question.

I am working in-house at a F500 company this summer. All my work-product here is pretty sensitive- drafting regulatory filings, some "oppo research" on judges, etc. I have asked for permission to use it and been denied.

I realize it's okay to use something from LRW, but should I explain why I didn't submit something from my work this summer?

Thanks!


There's no reason to explain that without them asking, which they probably won't. A lot of people use LRW examples. Interviewers undertand that a lot of summer writing is confidential.

User avatar
daesonesb
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc.

Postby daesonesb » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:58 pm

Just out of curiousity: is there any knowledge about the rate that firms give callbacks in relation to how many positions there are? For example, if NALP indicates that a firm has 10 expected 2L summer spots, would it be ordinary to do callbacks for 30 applicants? More? Less?

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc.

Postby swc65 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:17 pm

daesonesb wrote:Just out of curiousity: is there any knowledge about the rate that firms give callbacks in relation to how many positions there are? For example, if NALP indicates that a firm has 10 expected 2L summer spots, would it be ordinary to do callbacks for 30 applicants? More? Less?



Like law schools, firms have different yields. Some firms expect 80% of their offers to be accepted others might only accept 10% of their offers to be accepted. Short answer: it depends.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc.

Postby Renzo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:54 pm

swc65 wrote:
daesonesb wrote:Just out of curiousity: is there any knowledge about the rate that firms give callbacks in relation to how many positions there are? For example, if NALP indicates that a firm has 10 expected 2L summer spots, would it be ordinary to do callbacks for 30 applicants? More? Less?



Like law schools, firms have different yields. Some firms expect 80% of their offers to be accepted others might only accept 10% of their offers to be accepted. Short answer: it depends.


And some firms are way more generous with callbacks than others, meaning the odds are worse for you walking in than if they called back fewer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:16 pm

What about resume drops. I have applied to firms through OCI but many firms don't come to our OCI anymore.

I plan to send out all my resumes, cover letters, etc. by next Friday (one week). Am I very late to the game?

Also, e-mail them or snail mail?

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc.

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:39 pm

This is excellent. I'm a ways off from even possibly needing it, but I will definitely be referring back to it if/when the time comes.

User avatar
kjadkins
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc.

Postby kjadkins » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:43 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:This is excellent. I'm a ways off from even possibly needing it, but I will definitely be referring back to it if/when the time comes.


+1

I'm a 0L and am already freaking out about OCI/interviews.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc.

Postby Grizz » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:22 pm

kjadkins wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:This is excellent. I'm a ways off from even possibly needing it, but I will definitely be referring back to it if/when the time comes.


+1

I'm a 0L and am already freaking out about OCI/interviews.

lol you have better stuff to freak out about

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc.

Postby northwood » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:32 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:This is excellent. I'm a ways off from even possibly needing it, but I will definitely be referring back to it if/when the time comes.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc.

Postby stratocophic » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:39 pm

Grizz wrote:
kjadkins wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:This is excellent. I'm a ways off from even possibly needing it, but I will definitely be referring back to it if/when the time comes.


+1

I'm a 0L and am already freaking out about OCI/interviews.

lol you have better stuff to freak out about
CR. I'd be more worried about getting grades good enough to make OCI an issue, personally.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc.

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:58 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Grizz wrote:
kjadkins wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:This is excellent. I'm a ways off from even possibly needing it, but I will definitely be referring back to it if/when the time comes.

+1

I'm a 0L and am already freaking out about OCI/interviews.

lol you have better stuff to freak out about
CR. I'd be more worried about getting grades good enough to make OCI an issue, personally.

+1. This place is full of freshmen worrying about the draft.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:08 pm

When is it considered "early" or "late" to schedule callbacks -- is the last week of august/ first week of september late for the NY market?

Ghost
Posts: 1282
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc.

Postby Ghost » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:27 pm

.
Last edited by Ghost on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc.

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:13 pm

Booking Question:

I have a quick question regarding travel arrangements. I will be interviewing in a major market for a few days this month. My understanding is that, in this situation, I choose a single host firm to arrange travel and hotel accommodations for the week and the firms will split the costs among themselves. Further, when I scheduled the call-backs, each firm told me (verbally or in writing) that they are willing to split costs. With this in mind, I chose a host firm and arranged travel and hotel accommodations through their travel agent--arriving the night before my first cb and leaving the evening of my last cb.

First, I guess I should ask if this is the correct procedure, or should I have sought permission from each firm to use that particular host (my understanding is that firms are fine with this process and each firm will contribute for one night hotel stay and split the remaining expenses)?

Should I give the host the full run-down of the other firms I'll be interviewing with in advance of my callback date?

Should I notify the other firms that I'll be using the host as a host firm in advance of my callbacks with them?

Thanks very much.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.