A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thesealocust

Platinum

Re: A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc.

Post by thesealocust » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:56 pm

Too desperate, with the possible exception of your credentials being extremely strong for the firm and needing to get over the yield-protect hurdle. Even amongst the top firms in NYC that routinely face yield issues amongst one another, they expect candidates to develop a feel for the firm via callbacks and second visits, so implying a first choice at a screening interview will look immature and probably won't improve your chances.

If you have no ties to the market and stats way above where they usually hire, it might be worth be more specific about your desire at the firm though - since they might realistically be skeptical of your interest.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:38 pm

thesealocust wrote:Too desperate, with the possible exception of your credentials being extremely strong for the firm and needing to get over the yield-protect hurdle. Even amongst the top firms in NYC that routinely face yield issues amongst one another, they expect candidates to develop a feel for the firm via callbacks and second visits, so implying a first choice at a screening interview will look immature and probably won't improve your chances.

If you have no ties to the market and stats way above where they usually hire, it might be worth be more specific about your desire at the firm though - since they might realistically be skeptical of your interest.
Thanks. The interview is pre-select and I'm from the market the firm is in, so it seems like I should mostly play it cool. I spoke to an alum who works there to get a feel for the firm, I'm guessing dropping that in the interview is sufficient to show genuine interest?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:52 pm

Should be!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:39 pm

Yeah should be no problem. I think that shows good effort and interest.

Once when I was OCI-ing, I was in the middle of 25 generic NYC corporate screeners, all the firms were the same basically. Had one firm ask why I wanted to work there, I gave my usual spiel but also added in that I had talked with a current associate (somebody I knew from UG) over coffee who worked there and really liked it and recommended it, etc. For whatever reason, they kept pushing "why X specifically" that I basically just gave up. I referenced my contact so many times but they were wholly unimpressed.

It was the only firm who really didn't buy my "why X", which was disappointing since it was better for them than most of the other places I was interviewing. No CB obviously, but those are the breaks of the game. Just an unusual and uncommon situation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Got an offer today I'm going to take

Cancel callback for tomorrow? Don't wanna waste people's time

If so, what's the best way?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an offer today I'm going to take

Cancel callback for tomorrow? Don't wanna waste people's time

If so, what's the best way?
Dear Recruiter:

I have decided to cancel my callback interview. I have received another offer which I plan to accept. I hope you understand. Thank you for your interest in me.

Sincerely,

You

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:04 pm

If it's a large firm and not explicitly prohibited by your career services office, then it's a smart and reasonable thing to do. Waste of time and money otherwise, and (large) firms are quite used to being nimble on these scheduling details.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:28 pm

Was in another interview when my interviewer from another firm called a left a voicemail callback invitation. She specified that an email would be sent to schedule the interview but she wanted to let me know now. Should I call her back and thank her in addition to responding to the email to schedule the interview?

grand inquisitor

Gold

Post by grand inquisitor » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Was in another interview when my interviewer from another firm called a left a voicemail callback invitation. She specified that an email would be sent to schedule the interview but she wanted to let me know now. Should I call her back and thank her in addition to responding to the email to schedule the interview?
no need but fine if you want to

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:04 pm

So you should respond saying thank you to an email from interviewer inviting you for a call back?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:47 pm

How much contact do the interviewers have with legal recruitment? I just accidentally scheduled myself for the wrong week for 2 CBs and contacted both offices in a panic to change them. Auto ding for being an idiot?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:19 am

I had to change a flight because another callback came in. The flight the firm put me on, however, is exactly two hours after my callback with another firm (in a different city). They did that because it was cheaper; I let them know that I had a callback that day and would be cutting it close.

If I miss that flight, the scheduling firm pays for me to have a new flight, right?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:30 pm

When recruiting said the hiring committee was meeting on X day and you would hear back that same day but there's only radio silence, after how many days is it appropriate to call recruiting and ask for an update?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When recruiting said the hiring committee was meeting on X day and you would hear back that same day but there's only radio silence, after how many days is it appropriate to call recruiting and ask for an update?
Never. Or else maybe like, several weeks to a month?

Seriously, I promise, they haven't forgotten about you. They're busy and things take time and schedules change, and it's horrible to be stuck waiting, but there's nothing to be gained by pestering them after you've completed your interviews. If they have come to a decision, you would know (or it would be in the mail). If they haven't, you calling or emailing won't speed them up.

The only exception is if you have an offer at another firm that will expire soon, so you need to press a firm that hasn't decided for a decision. Otherwise just wait it out. I know it sucks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:39 pm

Thought so but good to know for sure. Thank you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:27 am

Does anyone know the protocol on canceling an out of town callback several days before the callback? They purchased a non-refundable ticket because it was significantly cheaper. I already have offers in another city I would accept and would prefer not to waste their/my time and resources. At this point should I just go?

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know the protocol on canceling an out of town callback several days before the callback? They purchased a non-refundable ticket because it was significantly cheaper. I already have offers in another city I would accept and would prefer not to waste their/my time and resources. At this point should I just go?
Nope, cancel.

Read, like, 3 posts up for a good example of how to do so.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:29 pm

What's a long time between callback and offer/rejection?

Going on 12 business days from callback with the firm I really want and 7 from another I liked

Serett

Post by Serett » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:05 pm

BaberhamLincoln wrote:What's a long time between callback and offer/rejection?

Going on 12 business days from callback with the firm I really want and 7 from another I liked
I'm at 19 and 18 days :|

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:41 pm

What's the protocol on re-applying to a firm that rejected you during OCI? 2L at a T3 and really liked a couple of firms that rejected me, can I email the recruiter, reapply at winter 1L OCI, or is there any option?

xael

Platinum

Post by xael » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:50 pm

I have interviews T, W, Th, F, M, T, so I have one host firm covering for all of that. If I cancel the Friday one, do I have to let my host firm know? As in, I could see it being cheaper to fly me home and have me pick a new host firm for the M and T interviews. They didn't give me any shit about covering the weekend, though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:48 pm

xael wrote:I have interviews T, W, Th, F, M, T, so I have one host firm covering for all of that. If I cancel the Friday one, do I have to let my host firm know? As in, I could see it being cheaper to fly me home and have me pick a new host firm for the M and T interviews. They didn't give me any shit about covering the weekend, though.
Stay the weekend! And don't cancel Friday. If you like, super need to, consider trying to double up two firms you don't love and shortening by a day (that's how I did it back in the day while spending a weekend in NYC). But 2x CBs in one day really is brutal, so wouldn't recommend it for your top choice(s).

Btw the general rule is one night per firm no questions asked, anything else - even if it seems more efficient or economical - is tricky, particularly when you're asking for so much cooperation from the firms on the reimbursement front.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:12 pm

I had a screener outside of EIP last night. Is the time frame for calbacks similar to EIP - meaning I'm in trouble if I haven't heard anything yet - or does it take longer, meaning I may still have a chance?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a screener outside of EIP last night. Is the time frame for calbacks similar to EIP - meaning I'm in trouble if I haven't heard anything yet - or does it take longer, meaning I may still have a chance?
No way to know. They have less incentive to move super fast though for sure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:56 am

another reimbursement question that's probably dumb but I just want to check--is it okay to turn down an offer from my host firm before I've gotten my reimbursement stuff in?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”