A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Jport333

New

Re: A guide to the mechanics of OCI, callbacks, etc.

Post by Jport333 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:06 pm

Any samples or guidelines for this scenario?

I have a call-back in a market (that requires me to fly across the country) and I'm interested in asking other firms in the area for interviews at the same time? (as part of one big trip).

It seems awkward to say I have interview with firm X in nearby market, want to interview me around the same time. Thx bye.

Thanks for the help/suggestions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:52 pm

Jport333 wrote:Any samples or guidelines for this scenario?

I have a call-back in a market (that requires me to fly across the country) and I'm interested in asking other firms in the area for interviews at the same time? (as part of one big trip).

It seems awkward to say I have interview with firm X in nearby market, want to interview me around the same time. Thx bye.

Thanks for the help/suggestions.
I would just say something like...Hi X, I am interested in a position as a summer associate with your firm. I happen to be in (the area/name of city) for the next week and was hoping you would give me the opportunity to meet with you. Etc etc, "thx bye."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:10 pm

Where can we find information on associate bonus structure at various firms? I'm having a tough time deciding between two firms and I feel like bonuses might be what gives one firm an edge over the other.

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Where can we find information on associate bonus structure at various firms? I'm having a tough time deciding between two firms and I feel like bonuses might be what gives one firm an edge over the other.
Almost every firm pays the Cravath scale. The main exceptions are Wachtell, Boise, Susman, Baker Botts on the positive side and Quinn on the negative side. ATL has a bunch of stuff on this and the topic is well treaded on TLS.

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:51 pm

txdude45 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Where can we find information on associate bonus structure at various firms? I'm having a tough time deciding between two firms and I feel like bonuses might be what gives one firm an edge over the other.
Almost every firm pays the Cravath scale. The main exceptions are Wachtell, Boise, Susman, Baker Botts on the positive side and Quinn on the negative side. ATL has a bunch of stuff on this and the topic is well treaded on TLS.
Baker Botts pays above-market bonuses? Or are you saying they beat the Cravath scale because they jump from 160 to 180?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:35 pm

Travel noob here: say we have a 2pm CB and our hotel checkout is 12pm. Do we leave our bags at the hotel and come back (even if hotel is not super close to firm/airport), or is it acceptable to bring them to the firm? Is this awkward? Or something firms are used to?

Anon because embarrassed to be asking such a dumb question.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Travel noob here: say we have a 2pm CB and our hotel checkout is 12pm. Do we leave our bags at the hotel and come back (even if hotel is not super close to firm/airport), or is it acceptable to bring them to the firm? Is this awkward? Or something firms are used to?

If you only have one or two bags then it's nbd for the firm to hold it somewhere for you. Totally kosher. If you have a ton of luggage that might be embarrassing though.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:43 pm

Just ask the receptionist if you can put your bag in the coat closet, which is usually within 10 feet of her desk. No one will give a shit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:46 pm

arklaw13 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Travel noob here: say we have a 2pm CB and our hotel checkout is 12pm. Do we leave our bags at the hotel and come back (even if hotel is not super close to firm/airport), or is it acceptable to bring them to the firm? Is this awkward? Or something firms are used to?

If you only have one or two bags then it's nbd for the firm to hold it somewhere for you. Totally kosher. If you have a ton of luggage that might be embarrassing though.
Thanks for the answer! I won't have too much, but my luggage is colorful/not exactly as professional-looking as I'd like. Does this affect the calculus? I realize this is super neurotic, but after reading some of the interviewer threads on this site, I'm paranoid about getting dinged for any super minor faux pas.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:50 pm

Store it at the hotel. Have you never traveled before.

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:51 pm

wiz wrote:
txdude45 wrote:
Baker Botts pays above-market bonuses? Or are you saying they beat the Cravath scale because they jump from 160 to 180?
Yeah, I used "Cravath scale" imprecisely. I was just rattling off firms that pay better than 160+10, 170+14, 185+20, etc.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:

Thanks for the answer! I won't have too much, but my luggage is colorful/not exactly as professional-looking as I'd like. Does this affect the calculus? I realize this is super neurotic, but after reading some of the interviewer threads on this site, I'm paranoid about getting dinged for any super minor faux pas.
Are you a women? If so, no one will care. I guess guys might judge another guy for having colorful luggage, but even in that case only people at the front desk and maybe recruiting staff will see it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:56 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Store it at the hotel. Have you never traveled before.
Pretty much no. Grew up super poor and my pre-law-school job hardly paid rent.

Thanks arklaw.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks arklaw.
I would store it at the hotel unless it's crazy far to get back to the hotel.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:02 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks arklaw.
I would store it at the hotel unless it's crazy far to get back to the hotel.
Thanks. Appreciate you both indulging my neurotic questions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:08 pm

It's okay to expense cab fair from my apartment to the airport right? It'd be like $45 (each way) because I live on the opposite side of the city.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's okay to expense cab fair from my apartment to the airport right? It'd be like $45 (each way) because I live on the opposite side of the city.
Yes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:42 pm

This is a stupid waste of time. The firm receptionist will take care of it.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:19 pm

TooOld4This wrote:
+1, totally common.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:04 pm

thesealocust wrote:
TooOld4This wrote:
+1, totally common.
Yup. Either leave it with the firm or at the hotel, whichever is easiest.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:33 am

I have a potentially very stupid question. I have a callback next week, and it's probably going to snow. I'll be going to my afternoon classes after the callback lunch with a couple of associates. Also, I can't really afford at least two longish cab rides at the moment. So, I'll have to wear my winter boots coming to the firm and going to school.* I know I likely can store them with the receptionist during the interviews, but what do I do with them after the interviews but before lunch? Do I pick them up? Do I leave them and come back for them after lunch?
This may sound neurotic, but I really have no idea what to do and I'd rather look stupid here than in front of a bunch of people who'll be evaluating me.
Thanks!

*If it matters, my interview shoes are heels, and they're my only interview-appropriate shoes, so I don't want to scuff them because I'll need them for at least one screener. Needless to say, if these get damaged, I won't be able to afford nice new shoes before the screener.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:57 am

It's pretty standard practice to go back to the firm with everyone once lunch is over. You can tell your recruiting contract that you'll be leaving stuff there and will have to come back. Sometimes recruiting people want to talk after the callback anyway. If it's snowing the attorneys will either go somewhere very close by, or will take a cab there and back. Either way it won't be awkward if you come back to the firm with them. It's probably the best option. Or just bring a bag with you to lunch with all of your shit. It's probably not a big deal either way.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:18 am

Thanks, Mal! You're a lifesaver!

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:15 am

I thought this might be the thread for it but is there a thread where 1Ls whose schools haven't yet educated them on OCI can learn about the bid process? Just wondering, thanks

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”