Journal in a Cover Letter?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
snowpeach06

Journal in a Cover Letter?

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:45 pm

Are those of you who made journals putting it in your OCI cover letters? It seems like you should, but... we haven't done anything yet.

kaiser

Re: Journal in a Cover Letter?

Postby kaiser » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:47 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Are those of you who made journals putting it in your OCI cover letters? It seems like you should, but... we haven't done anything yet.

Of course you can mention it. By the time you actually get to the firm, you will have an entire year of journal experience under your belt. It is most certainly writing experience that you will be able to bring to the firm once you get there, so you can definitely mention it.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:52 pm

You can, but it's not something everyone does or something likely to make a difference.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:53 pm

kaiser wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Are those of you who made journals putting it in your OCI cover letters? It seems like you should, but... we haven't done anything yet.

Of course you can mention it. By the time you actually get to the firm, you will have an entire year of journal experience under your belt. It is most certainly writing experience that you will be able to bring to the firm once you get there, so you can definitely mention it.

So what do I say about it?

Bobby Dazzler

Postby Bobby Dazzler » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:34 am

Not sure if this is normal, but I already have copywork due. I simply mention journal membership in a sentence along with good writing and research skills, although I thought about leaving it off because it's already noted on my resume. I could definitely see using a secondary/specialty journal in your cover letters as a way to sell a particular interest, e.g., IP or environmental law.

warumnicht

Postby warumnicht » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:48 pm

I agree that if you have law review on your resume, it pretty much speaks for itself and does not need to be addressed in a cover letter. A secondary journal is a different story. Even if you haven't done anything yet, it's perfectly okay to say that "This year, I will continue developing my (insert whatever) skills as a member of (insert journal)."

Return to “Legal Employment”