Let's talk OCI....makeup

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Pleasye

Re: Let's talk OCI....makeup

Postby Pleasye » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:01 am

Dany wrote:
danidancer wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGpLLWnO3XY

I have no idea what on earth she was doing for the 15 minutes in between, but I skipped to the end and thought her makeup looked good.

She used about 9 different concealers. Jesus christ.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:03 am

Pleasye wrote:She used about 9 different concealers. Jesus christ.

:shock:

viking138

Postby viking138 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:46 pm

Question for the ladies...I'm planning on wearing shells under my suit for EIP rather than a collared shirt. I was told by Career Services and some female associates that shells under suits were fine so long as they were in muted colors and not skin-baring. Anyone have experience with this and care to share? Just want to be 100% sure it's safe.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:49 pm

viking138 wrote:Question for the ladies...I'm planning on wearing shells under my suit for EIP rather than a collared shirt. I was told by Career Services and some female associates that shells under suits were fine so long as they were in muted colors and not skin-baring. Anyone have experience with this and care to share? Just want to be 100% sure it's safe.

Better to wear a shell and not have any "collar confusion" than to wear a collared shirt and have to fidget with it. Just my 2¢.

viking138

Postby viking138 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:46 pm

IAFG wrote:
viking138 wrote:Question for the ladies...I'm planning on wearing shells under my suit for EIP rather than a collared shirt. I was told by Career Services and some female associates that shells under suits were fine so long as they were in muted colors and not skin-baring. Anyone have experience with this and care to share? Just want to be 100% sure it's safe.

Better to wear a shell and not have any "collar confusion" than to wear a collared shirt and have to fidget with it. Just my 2¢.

That was EXACTLY my feeling. Plus, NYC in August will be miserably hot and a shell will hopefully be a bit more comfortable. I just want to make sure I won't be considered a dirty dirty whore for not wearing a button down.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:02 pm

viking138 wrote:That was EXACTLY my feeling. Plus, NYC in August will be miserably hot and a shell will hopefully be a bit more comfortable. I just want to make sure I won't be considered a dirty dirty whore for not wearing a button down.

What's a "shell"?

if I wear button downs I look like a dirty dirty whore because the buttons either unbutton or the shirt opens up between the buttons :?

viking138

Postby viking138 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:09 pm

Pleasye wrote:
viking138 wrote:That was EXACTLY my feeling. Plus, NYC in August will be miserably hot and a shell will hopefully be a bit more comfortable. I just want to make sure I won't be considered a dirty dirty whore for not wearing a button down.

What's a "shell"?

if I wear button downs I look like a dirty dirty whore because the buttons either unbutton or the shirt opens up between the buttons :?

My shell looks like this in a solid color (the pocket is unseen under the jacket): http://www.jcrew.com/womens_factory_category/theclearance/PRDOVR~42800/42800.jsp

JFo

Postby JFo » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:20 pm

sarahlawg wrote:I'm embarrassed that I'm lost on some of these makeup posts...hoping some of you will be my classmates next year...

WE COULD HAVE BEEEEEEN.

I am a pale lady with brown hair, small blue eyes, and freckles. For interviews, I usually go for the following (in order):

Blow out hair and straighten (Cause straight haired people are RESPONSIBLE)
Pluck out all stray eyebrow hairs, comb brows up and clip excess
Fill in browns lightly with an eyebrow pencil
Tinted moisturizer to even out skin-tone, but still allow freckles to poke through
Powder on nose, chin, and forehead to reduce redness/shine/IHATEMYSKIN
2 layers of concealer on under-eye area, which will probably be scary dark around OCI (pat one on, let dry, repeat)
Dot concealer on any blemishes
Swipe all over lid with a sheer dusty rose
Highlight under brown bone and near tear ducts with a white/cream shimmer
Smudge a dark gold-y brown into crease, focusing mostly on outer corner
Curl lashes, apply 2 coats of mascara
Swipe on a little pink blush on the apples of my cheeks in a attempt to look alive
Pull out the secret job-getting lipstick, Clinique Black Honey. I put on two coats, with translucent powder in between, and top with a non-shiny gloss/chapstick.

I've worked in and out of the legal field, and have never had an issue finding employment.

I end up looking like this, minus sexy-face:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:22 pm

Pleasye wrote:

What's a "shell"?

Just show up looking like your avatar and you'll be fine

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:27 pm

Pleasye wrote:

What's a "shell"?

Just a plain tank top (in a nice fabric, not like a cotton cami or something). They're a godsend for larger-chested people (aka us!)

Something like this would probably work. They're all I wear under suits.

JFo

Postby JFo » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:28 pm

Dany wrote:
Pleasye wrote:

What's a "shell"?

Just a plain tank top (in a nice fabric, not like a cotton cami or something). They're a godsend for larger-chested people (aka us!)

Something like this would probably work. They're all I wear under suits.

Oh Dany, we really need to go shopping together.

I love them in cream silk, though I'd definitely stay away from lace shells for interviews.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:35 pm

JFo wrote:Oh Dany, we really need to go shopping together.

I love them in cream silk, though I'd definitely stay away from lace shells for interviews.

Yessssss I can't wait!!

Also cream silk is the best ever. I have at least two tops like that for suits. I think it looks so clean and put-together. :D

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:37 pm

JFo wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:I'm embarrassed that I'm lost on some of these makeup posts...hoping some of you will be my classmates next year...

WE COULD HAVE BEEEEEEN.

regret regret regret

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:22 pm

Thoughts on colors for shells to wear under the suit jacket?

mths

Postby mths » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:24 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Thoughts on colors for shells to wear under the suit jacket?

muted earth tones and really light pastels?

not sure about the latter one

viking138

Postby viking138 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:33 pm

mths wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Thoughts on colors for shells to wear under the suit jacket?

muted earth tones and really light pastels?

not sure about the latter one

I'm going with light colors (light lavender, cream, etc). Just got the J.Crew jacket I ordered from their clearance ($52 down from $230). Great deal but it's a bit big at a size 4 (and I'm 5'9"...wtf vanity sizing). Debating getting it tailored or just using it as a casual jacket since the oversized look is in...

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:14 pm

I love cream-colored shirts under a black suit.

mightyaphrodite

Postby mightyaphrodite » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:59 pm

I wore various shades of pink, ranging from a sort of carnation pink to darker pink/purple because I like pink.

Wear something flattering and pretty that you like. You won't get dinged because you wore purple vs. wearing french blue or cream or something.

Return to “Legal Employment”