What "mass mailing" are you guys talking about?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
trey

Re: What "mass mailing" are you guys talking about?

Postby trey » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:57 am

you're mass mailing firms now for a position after your 2L summer? That's not too early?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:00 pm

trey wrote:you're mass mailing firms now for a position after your 2L summer? That's not too early?

We are mass mailing firms now for a position for 2L summer, not after 2L summer.

trey

Postby trey » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:04 pm

sorry that's what I meant

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:19 pm

For those who've had success mass mailing, I assume you've been emailing, right? To a hiring partner, other specific attorneys, or to the generic recruiting email address most firms seem to post on their website? Have you sent your entire "package" of cover letter, resume, transcript, writing sample, references, or just a cover letter & resume initially?

All this I'm sure varies, I'm just wondering if there's a consensus on what's tended to work of late. In the past, I've emailed just my resume with a brief email either to specific attorneys or to the generic recruiting address, and that's worked OK, though not as well as I'd like for next summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:25 pm

drdolittle wrote:For those who've had success mass mailing, I assume you've been emailing, right? To a hiring partner, other specific attorneys, or to the generic recruiting email address most firms seem to post on their website? Have you sent your entire "package" of cover letter, resume, transcript, writing sample, references, or just a cover letter & resume initially?

All this I'm sure varies, I'm just wondering if there's a consensus on what's tended to work of late. In the past, I've emailed just my resume with a brief email either to specific attorneys or to the generic recruiting address, and that's worked OK, though not as well as I'd like for next summer.

I've just been emailing the hiring contact, though I name-drop any particular attorney I may have spoken with prior. I always include my resume, a tailored cover letter, and a grade sheet/transcript. Don't bother with references or writing sample unless they specifically request this info.

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:38 pm

New Question

If you haven't had any contact whatsoever with Firm X before you send the resume/CL, do you try to reach out in any way first?

I'm not planing to. I don't have the time. I'm just curious how much this will lessen the already low chance of getting anything out of MM.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:46 pm

In response to TTH, I'm not too sure. To me, it's not like the recruiter keeps in contact with all 200-300 attorneys at the firm or even knows them all that well. I'm sure it would help if the attorney gave the recruiter your resume/cl/transcript. Anyhow, I've probably sent out 40 targeted ones to cities I have lots of family in and already got a call to come in and interview w/o even following up (hasn't been a week). The firm is a v100 in a secondary market, but I considered it a reach nonetheless. If this is the only interview I get from it, it was worth the time and cost. I hand mailed ones that didn't request by e-mail, as I always think it's more professional and puts my stuff in the recruiter's hand rather than on a screen with 25 other resumes open in the background.

Return to “Legal Employment”