OK to mass mail a firm instead of bidding on them at OCI???

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:14 pm

First - I am interested in 5 smaller market firms that are coming to OCI. There are 13 SA positions total between the 5 of them. These firms are in my desired market, however, I don't think it would be wise to bid on them because they are hiring so few SAs. It seems like I would be better off bidding on firms in NY or CHI for example that have much larger SA classes. Agreed?

Second - Is it acceptable to do this? Will the firms view this in a negative light?

Thanks

thesealocust

Re: OK to mass mail a firm instead of bidding on them at OCI???

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:15 pm

No.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:18 pm

How does your school handle OCI bids? If the firm sees the resumes of the people who bid on them, then hedging your bet here by mass mailing them instead of bidding might be dangerous. The firm will wonder why you weren't willing to see them on campus and question your sincerity. I wouldn't do it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:22 pm

blurbz wrote:How does your school handle OCI bids? If the firm sees the resumes of the people who bid on them, then hedging your bet here by mass mailing them instead of bidding might be dangerous. The firm will wonder why you weren't willing to see them on campus and question your sincerity. I wouldn't do it.

OP here - this is pretty much what I thought. However, it's just hard to swallow bidding on a firm only hiring 1-2 SA's. I mean, the odds are just not great.

Any way around this dilemma?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
blurbz wrote:How does your school handle OCI bids? If the firm sees the resumes of the people who bid on them, then hedging your bet here by mass mailing them instead of bidding might be dangerous. The firm will wonder why you weren't willing to see them on campus and question your sincerity. I wouldn't do it.

OP here - this is pretty much what I thought. However, it's just hard to swallow bidding on a firm only hiring 1-2 SA's. I mean, the odds are just not great.

Any way around this dilemma?

How is it a dilemma? If you want the job, bid on the firm. If you don't, don't. Boom.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:27 pm

Do you have a reason you want that market? Is it a market that you might be more interested in than most of your classmates? If yes, then you should be able to make a pretty convincing case and, if not, then you need to evaluate the strength of your application and decide if it's worth it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:34 pm

blurbz wrote:Do you have a reason you want that market? Is it a market that you might be more interested in than most of your classmates? If yes, then you should be able to make a pretty convincing case and, if not, then you need to evaluate the strength of your application and decide if it's worth it.

I'm a resident of that market and I want to live there long term. I assume most students won't bid on them, however, I'd definitely feel bad if I couldn't get my info in front of them.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:43 am

Why don't you just use low bids? It's unlikely anyone is going to use their highest bids on a secondary market firm with 2-3 SA openings. Use higher bids for your NY/CHI firms, and bids in the 20-30 range or something like that for the secondary market, which should work if your assumption is correct that not a lot of students will bid on them.

Return to “Legal Employment”