Drinking before screening interview...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Drinking before screening interview...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:22 pm

Anonymous because everyone knows who I am and I don't want firms to think I'm a raging alcoholic...

What are your thoughts on taking a shot or a stiff drink to calm the OCI nerves? Anyone have experience doing this? I would imagine it would make for a more relaxed interview which would be a better interview. I can't be the only one to toy with this idea...

User avatar
bouakedojo
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: Drinking before screening interview...

Postby bouakedojo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:23 pm

.
Last edited by bouakedojo on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Drinking before screening interview...

Postby goodolgil » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:27 pm

bouakedojo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anonymous because everyone knows who I am and I don't want firms to think I'm a raging alcoholic...

What are your thoughts on taking a shot or a stiff drink to calm the OCI nerves? Anyone have experience doing this? I would imagine it would make for a more relaxed interview which would be a better interview. I can't be the only one to toy with this idea...


Seems like it would come across as unprofessional.


It wouldn't "come across" as anything because you wouldn't actually let your interviewer know.

I say do it if you need to. Make sure you chew gum or something afterwards though.

User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: Drinking before screening interview...

Postby Mce252 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:29 pm

I've never done anything after drinking and actually performed at a higher level, except being an asshole.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Drinking before screening interview...

Postby Verity » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:30 pm

Yeah, but then you have to time it just right, and make sure to drink just enough to cool the nerves but not too much to make you drunk, and then worry about your breath, piss test.....I don't know.

Consider weed?

flightcontrol
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: Drinking before screening interview...

Postby flightcontrol » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:31 pm

This is an irredeemably bad idea. Chances are no one will realize it, but if are you are caught, you become the "did you hear . . ." story of the entire week. Recruiters and lawyers know each other, and that's the kind of story that gets around. The benefit is marginal; the downside is massive. Don't do it.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3141
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Drinking before screening interview...

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:32 pm

Fine as long as you are 100% certain you a) will not become perceptibly drunk and b) will not smell like booze. Personally it wouldn't be worth the risk, if only because I'd be too worried they could tell I'd been drinking for it to have any sort of relaxing effect, but YMMV.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Drinking before screening interview...

Postby Emma. » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:34 pm

The interviewer is probably going to be bored and could use a drink as well. Why not just show up with a flask and offer him/her a drink too?

User avatar
emorystud2010
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Drinking before screening interview...

Postby emorystud2010 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:36 pm

Emma. wrote:The interviewer is probably going to be bored and could use a drink as well. Why not just show up with a flask and offer him/her a drink too?


i lol'ed pretty hard at this. Thank god i wasn't drinking milk.

User avatar
Nogameisfair
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: Drinking before screening interview...

Postby Nogameisfair » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:40 pm

I say do it if you have to, but you should learn a better way to deal with anxiety. Screeners are on the low end of the anxiety you'll have to deal with in practice. Unfortunately, we don't live in the 1950s where the occastional Don Drapper special is acceptable in the office.

User avatar
kapital98
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: Drinking before screening interview...

Postby kapital98 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:44 pm

Nogameisfair wrote:I say do it if you have to, but you should learn a better way to deal with anxiety. Screeners are on the low end of the anxiety you'll have to deal with in practice. Unfortunately, we don't live in the 1950s where the occastional Don Drapper special is acceptable in the office.


It's too bad because I could really use a drink at the 11am meetings, 1pm lunch, double-shot at 3pm, and then one for the road at 5pm. :P

warumnicht
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Drinking before screening interview...

Postby warumnicht » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:48 pm

Nogameisfair wrote:I say do it if you have to, but you should learn a better way to deal with anxiety. Screeners are on the low end of the anxiety you'll have to deal with in practice. Unfortunately, we don't live in the 1950s where the occastional Don Drapper special is acceptable in the office.


This. You may be able to get away with it in this situation (this requires knowing exactly how you react to one drink...and lots of mouthwash after), but what are you going to do at callbacks? Client meetings? Trial?

Try something like breathing exercises, mantras, whatever. Or, if you think that your anxiety is too severe for that, consult a doctor about anti-anxiety meds.
Last edited by warumnicht on Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nogameisfair
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: Drinking before screening interview...

Postby Nogameisfair » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:48 pm

kapital98 wrote:
Nogameisfair wrote:I say do it if you have to, but you should learn a better way to deal with anxiety. Screeners are on the low end of the anxiety you'll have to deal with in practice. Unfortunately, we don't live in the 1950s where the occastional Don Drapper special is acceptable in the office.


It's too bad because I could really use a drink at the 11am meetings, 1pm lunch, double-shot at 3pm, and then one for the road at 5pm. :P


I also wouldn't mind the occasional tryst with a secretary now and then... but they call this progress.

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Drinking before screening interview...

Postby artichoke » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Why don't you just take a beta-blocker instead? Seems like a more effective and less risky method of calming nerves.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Drinking before screening interview...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:55 pm

I have never drank prior to an interview, but, honestly, I have gone immediately to home or a bar and downed a scotch or ten. That made the inevitable seeming rejection a lot easier to stomach.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Drinking before screening interview...

Postby firemed » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:57 pm

artichoke wrote:Why don't you just take a beta-blocker instead? Seems like a more effective and less risky method of calming nerves.


These are generally harder to get than xanex or similar anti-anxiety meds.

I hear they can help with migraines though, and if your blood pressure is going up from your constant anxiety or stress, than these are very worth asking your physician about.... they'll take care of stress and your hypertension at the same time.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Drinking before screening interview...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:59 pm

Xanax maybe?? J/k. (Makes me think of the Seinfeld where Elaine takes the muscle relaxers...STELLA!!!)

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6047
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: Drinking before screening interview...

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:01 pm

LOL @ getting drunk off of one shot.

User avatar
kapital98
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: Drinking before screening interview...

Postby kapital98 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:01 pm

Nogameisfair wrote:
kapital98 wrote:
Nogameisfair wrote:I say do it if you have to, but you should learn a better way to deal with anxiety. Screeners are on the low end of the anxiety you'll have to deal with in practice. Unfortunately, we don't live in the 1950s where the occastional Don Drapper special is acceptable in the office.


It's too bad because I could really use a drink at the 11am meetings, 1pm lunch, double-shot at 3pm, and then one for the road at 5pm. :P


I also wouldn't mind the occasional tryst with a secretary now and then... but they call this progress.


:D :D :D

I was going to say something about that but thought it would be sexist!

User avatar
cahesu
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:19 pm

Re: Drinking before screening interview...

Postby cahesu » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:02 pm

Credited answer is Hennigan's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgXAt_gstcs

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Drinking before screening interview...

Postby 071816 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:04 pm

cahesu wrote:Credited answer is Hennigan's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgXAt_gstcs


LOL nice. This is actually the first thing that came to mind when I read the original post.

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Drinking before screening interview...

Postby artichoke » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:05 pm

cahesu wrote:Credited answer is Hennigan's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgXAt_gstcs


Lol, I was wondering if someone was going to bring this up.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19662
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Drinking before screening interview...

Postby dailygrind » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:05 pm

kapital98 wrote:
Nogameisfair wrote:
kapital98 wrote:
Nogameisfair wrote:I say do it if you have to, but you should learn a better way to deal with anxiety. Screeners are on the low end of the anxiety you'll have to deal with in practice. Unfortunately, we don't live in the 1950s where the occastional Don Drapper special is acceptable in the office.


It's too bad because I could really use a drink at the 11am meetings, 1pm lunch, double-shot at 3pm, and then one for the road at 5pm. :P


I also wouldn't mind the occasional tryst with a secretary now and then... but they call this progress.


:D :D :D

I was going to say something about that but thought it would be sexist!


There are probably male secretaries, too. Do mail boys still exist?

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6047
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: Drinking before screening interview...

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:06 pm

dailygrind wrote:There are probably male secretaries, too. Do mail boys still exist?

They do at my office.

User avatar
Nogameisfair
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: Drinking before screening interview...

Postby Nogameisfair » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:09 pm

kapital98 wrote:
Nogameisfair wrote:
kapital98 wrote:
Nogameisfair wrote:I say do it if you have to, but you should learn a better way to deal with anxiety. Screeners are on the low end of the anxiety you'll have to deal with in practice. Unfortunately, we don't live in the 1950s where the occastional Don Drapper special is acceptable in the office.


It's too bad because I could really use a drink at the 11am meetings, 1pm lunch, double-shot at 3pm, and then one for the road at 5pm. :P


I also wouldn't mind the occasional tryst with a secretary now and then... but they call this progress.


:D :D :D

I was going to say something about that but thought it would be sexist!


I would with the female laywers if they promised not to talk about law... That's not sexist right?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.