Small typo in targeted mailing email body

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Small typo in targeted mailing email body

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:08 am

Title says it all. Typo was in the short email itself, not in the attached cover letter or resume. Does this doom my chances, or am I crazy? (Firm is not at our OCI but somewhere I should stand a good chance at getting an interview otherwise.)

Emma.

Re: Small typo in targeted mailing email body

Postby Emma. » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:09 am

No one knows, but it is probably a lot better than having a typo in your actual cover letter or resume. Hopefully they won't even notice.

warumnicht

Postby warumnicht » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:39 am

Well, at this point there's nothing you can do, so why worry about it? Like the above poster said, hopefully they won't even notice and go straight to the app materials.

Out of curiosity, how small of a typo was it? The kind that looks like your finger slipped or the kind that makes you look like you don't know English grammar (e.g., mixing up their and there?)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:42 am

Left out an "a", as in the article, not the letter. ("I am a rising second-year law student at XYZ School of Law interested in summer associate position with ABC.") Pretty obviously not a grammar mistake. I think if I were reading the email quickly and didn't know the error was there, I would probably miss it, but who knows.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Left out an "a", as in the article, not the letter. ("I am a rising second-year law student at XYZ School of Law interested in summer associate position with ABC.") Pretty obviously not a grammar mistake. I think if I were reading the email quickly and didn't know the error was there, I would probably miss it, but who knows.

At least a 75% chance they don't even notice. But I don't think it's something to worry about regardless, that's a very small error.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:24 pm

You're effed.

JK.

In all seriousness, it's not ideal but they are human too. Everyone's sent an e-mail (probably an important one too) with a gaffish mistake that doesn't seriously damage the credibility of the person who sent it. Typos happen.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Left out an "a", as in the article, not the letter. ("I am a rising second-year law student at XYZ School of Law interested in summer associate position with ABC.") Pretty obviously not a grammar mistake. I think if I were reading the email quickly and didn't know the error was there, I would probably miss it, but who knows.

Perhaps they will think you are Russian :)

I wouldn't worry about it. Too tiny an error to matter, and I doubt they scour over the email itself too hard, as opposed to the documents themselves. If your credentials are solid, this won't make a difference.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:31 pm

LOL. God, I hate that I am posting this, but how about in the cover letter where you fucked up the acronym of the Firm's name. Let's say Snuffy, tatas, and davidson was shortened to SDT instead of STD. Incredibly insulting, and I did it. Twice.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:LOL. God, I hate that I am posting this, but how about in the cover letter where you fucked up the acronym of the Firm's name. Let's say Snuffy, tatas, and davidson was shortened to SDT instead of STD. Incredibly insulting, and I did it. Twice.

Somehow I can't see a firm endorsing the use of its initials if they abbreviate to STD. Just go with Snuffy next time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:38 pm

Aston2412 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:LOL. God, I hate that I am posting this, but how about in the cover letter where you fucked up the acronym of the Firm's name. Let's say Snuffy, tatas, and davidson was shortened to SDT instead of STD. Incredibly insulting, and I did it. Twice.

Somehow I can't see a firm endorsing the use of its initials if they abbreviate to STD. Just go with Snuffy next time.

All joking aside, I seriously damaged my chances with that firm, I think.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:39 pm

Ok that one is a little more obvious. I'm not going to lecture you on it or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if this particular firm doesn't give you a call for that one. Don't worry about it though. Just scour over these things very carefully. There is no urgent rush to get them out, and a few minutes of extra proofreading is always worth it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Ok that one is a little more obvious. I'm not going to lecture you on it or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if this particular firm doesn't give you a call for that one. Don't worry about it though. Just scour over these things very carefully. There is no urgent rush to get them out, and a few minutes of extra proofreading is always worth it.

Person who originally posted that, and yeah,I agree. When I discovered that I'd done it, I just shook my head and went outside for a bit. An easily preventable mistake and a damn good firm, too.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:48 pm

One thing I've discovered is that I can proofread something a million times and when I go to upload it to Symplicity, I'll put it up. Bid. And then when I'm reviewing my bid materials I'll notice an error that wasn't there before. It's human error and while we strive to have everything perfect for applications, sometimes you just have to let it go.

Do the best you can, proof diligently (at least 4 times) and anything past that, well, Fate just didn't want you to get that job.

truthypants

Postby truthypants » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:26 pm

reminds me of the time I applied to Arnold & Potter LLP

--ImageRemoved--

warumnicht

Postby warumnicht » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:34 pm

Aston2412 wrote:One thing I've discovered is that I can proofread something a million times and when I go to upload it to Symplicity, I'll put it up. Bid. And then when I'm reviewing my bid materials I'll notice an error that wasn't there before. It's human error and while we strive to have everything perfect for applications, sometimes you just have to let it go.

Do the best you can, proof diligently (at least 4 times) and anything past that, well, Fate just didn't want you to get that job.

Proof diligently, then let it sit overnight and take a look at it the next day before you send it out. Even if you go over your materials a thousand times in one sitting, your eyes will get to used to it, and you won't be able to catch tiny errors.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:52 pm

truthypants wrote:reminds me of the time I applied to Arnold & Potter LLP

--ImageRemoved--

Please tell me you're being serious and not joking.

badlydrawn

Postby badlydrawn » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:01 pm

If it makes you feel any better, my friend had the wrong phone number (one digit off) on her resume. She noticed it after three months of mailing.

truthypants

Postby truthypants » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:30 pm

Aston2412 wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Nah, I wish I was. You start mass mailing 50-100 firms a day, and you're gonna get sloppy.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:32 pm

truthypants wrote:
Aston2412 wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Nah, I wish I was. You start mass mailing 50-100 firms a day, and you're gonna get sloppy.

Did you ever hear anything back from them? That would be hilariously awesome.

truthypants

Postby truthypants » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:34 pm

bjsesq wrote:
truthypants wrote:
Aston2412 wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Did you ever hear anything back from them? That would be hilariously awesome.

Sadly nothing (I can't even remember if I got a rejection letter)

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:36 pm

truthypants wrote:Sadly nothing (I can't even remember if I got a rejection letter)

I would have called you in to see if you kept calling us Arnold and Potter.

Return to “Legal Employment”